Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #121
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPotocki View Post
Harry -

As would putting a comma outside quotation marks as you've done.

Physician heal thyself.

Seriously, I don't really proof my posts and you're being a doofus in commenting on my poor typing skills.

It's nice to see you got caught with your pants down as there should be a comma after the word 'post' also.

Sloppy.
The British system is for punctuation to be outside quote marks; the American system is for punctuation to be inside the quote marks. Harry's placement is correct unless he were writing in American English.

Similarly, the British have generally abandoned the serial comma, but Americans have not.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #122
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Before we come to unsettling topics, the beginning of the article sent by Sparrow is VERY interesting .

Quote:
Her reputation as one of the country’s greatest female authors may rest on her elegant writing style.

But Jane Austen could not spell or correctly use punctuation, and wrote in a ‘regional accent’, according to a study of her handwritten work.

Professor Kathryn Sutherland, an Oxford University academic, said that manuscripts showed that her finished work was corrected by an editor.
Not only did the editor manage to detect and correct her "regional writing" and transform it into formal English prose, but he (I assume it's a man) managed to do so while keeping her writing style, the strength of her messages and the wit of her prose. That's one hell of a great editor there.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #123
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The British system is for punctuation to be outside quote marks; the American system is for punctuation to be inside the quote marks. Harry's placement is correct unless he were writing in American English.

Similarly, the British have generally abandoned the serial comma, but Americans have not.
Egads! Is this what you got out of the conversation?

Luckily, I clicked on the links you're hawking and boom! Major grammatical errors!

Since its founding, FES has witnessed a change in what editorial services are wanted and how they are provided - progressing from working on paper to working electronically, requiring skilled, technologically savvy editors; from working primarily in-house to outsourcing, from outsourcing locally to nationally to worldwide; and, as knowledge about our world has grown with daily innovations and discoveries, the growth of books from single-volume to multivolume treatises that require an ever-increasing amount of editorial collaboration.
unquote

What?

Could you have someone put that into English please?

Maybe Harry T can help you - not!

WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #124
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
What about Jane Austen?

She was practically illiterate.
Oh, yikes!

She was far from illiterate.

Here's a link to her manuscripts.
WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 AM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPotocki View Post
And it doesn't explain the omission of a comma. It's wrong on all counts.
I'm afraid it's not wrong; it's yet another difference between British and American English. American English is a lot more liberal with the use of commas than is British English.

Quote:
By the way, you are hijacking this thread with your incessant nitpicking
Highly apposite to a thread on copy editing, to my mind. You see, in these last few posts you've condemned as "wrong" things that are, in fact, simply differences in the use of punctuation between British and American English. Most people probably think of the two forms of English as differing only in spelling - eg "centre/center" - but it actually goes a lot deeper than that, and this is another area where a good copy editor can help.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #126
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Wes - would like to try, if you like - I was pretty nearly force-fed the Webster's Unabridged while in school - every time I asked what does this word mean, I was told:

GO LOOK IT UP!

I can offer a sample of my efforts for your inspection if desired - it's an exhaustive proofreading, with minor corrections of a favorite by Porter (the author of Freckles)

I have before and after files on hand.
I wasn't sure of the book - Turned out to be Freckles by Gene Strattton Porter.

I started with a Gutenberg copy (which I don't seen any trace of, after all) -
I have a finished version in your choice of RTF or HTML, with a separate text file listing before and after version for each correction, listed by chapter.
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote