Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Can't do the upgrade

The SD slot seems to be broken.
It's been over a year since I last had an SD card in it. Not needed apart from the 1.2 upgrade, as the main memory is only about 1/3 full. It worked fine then though.
And yes, I did insert in the right way round.
I'd like the 1.5 upgrade, but possibly not enough to pay for the repair. Anyone know how much it would cost? There's no other way of upgrading, I suppose?
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Other than of sending your device to Bookeen, I suppose not.

You may try another SD card, which is much cheaper than any initial postage.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
If you used a SD card some times ago, I don't think the SD slot is broken, I'd put it on the SD card !
If you have another one, as HarryT said, try it, if not, try 1. to format the SD card (completely, no fast format) in FAT32, and retry, or 2. to check for problems (right-click, Properties, Tools tab, I think - french version here )

PS : I had issues with the upgrade too, due to my SD card. Didn't do anything when I pushed the nav button, didn't detect the card, I suppose. I had another one, so I tried it and it went well !

Last edited by Idoine; 01-02-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The easy way to see if your SD card is "working" is to look at the library screen - it should display an "SD" symbol at the lower right if the card is inserted and being correctly read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I've tried two though, both of which work fine in my laptop. I tried formatting one FAT32 as well.
The one I know worked has gone walkabout. I'll try another.
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
It could also be that you aren't holding the center button in correctly/long enough during the boot with the SD card inserted. Some users have reported that it helps to put the Cybook down on a table and then pressing down on the center button with a finger or pencil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
Try to format your SD in FAT32. Then put the update_kernel file there. Mine was formatted in FAT (FAT16) by default. Bookeen requires that SD card must be in FAT32. Notice that on Windows Vista and 7 you will need some third party utility as Seagate DiscWizard to format your SD card in FAT32. Also, make sure that you hold the center button. In my first attempt I found that I was holding also the right navigation button and it started as usual. Then I put the reader on a desk and with my index finger on the center key it worked fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOZAWUN View Post
BINGO; it worked when I put it on the desk and pressed down hard with a cylindrical communication device (or, pencil). Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't being stupid, just ham-fisted!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
This may be irrelevant, but I couldn't get the update to work after I downloaded it through Win 7 -- I finally used my Win XP netbook to reformat the SD, redownloaded the update, and was able to get everything to load on the reader that way.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
This may be irrelevant, but I couldn't get the update to work after I downloaded it through Win 7 -- I finally used my Win XP netbook to reformat the SD, redownloaded the update, and was able to get everything to load on the reader that way.
I use Windows 7 too, and didn't have any problem with the downloaded file, just the SD card !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Conor
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
It could also be that you aren't holding the center button in correctly/long enough during the boot with the SD card inserted. Some users have reported that it helps to put the Cybook down on a table and then pressing down on the center button with a finger or pencil.
I tried that. Before I thought to try reading books off the SD card.

@ lmarie. I'm still using XP. But switching to Windows 7 shortly.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Conor
Groupie

Bingo!
I found a card that worked. And v1.5 now up and running.

Now to rearrange the folders.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Glad it worked for you!
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote