Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
The indecision continues... (made decision now)

Before stumbling on this forum, I thought I knew which ebook device I would buy. Then I gained more knowledge from the community here and now I'm undecided. Sometmes I wonder if "ignorance is bliss".

Armed with more knowledge, my choices are limited to the Sony PRS-700, Sony PRS-505, and the Cybook Gen3 device. As a Canadian resident, the Kindle is not a viable choice.
  • My desire is the ability to perform a dictionary search while reading a book: +1 for Cybook. "Maybe" dictionary support in the PRS-700 by way of firmware update although nothing confirmed.
  • Cost: Sony PRS-505 is the cheapest of the 3 and I already consider ebook readers on the expensive side. $200 CAD for an ebook reader would have been my "sweet" spot but that doesn't seem like that's going to happen for a little while still. No winner here.
  • Format support (All of my ebooks are in mobi, ereader, or PDF format): Cybook for the mobi support. Other formats can be converted to the appropriate format by Calibre I suppose. I don't think this is a "real" issue for selecting a device.
  • Supports epub: Sony devices today...talk of Cybook in next firmware although not confirmed.
  • Viewing quality: PRS505 or Cybook (some complain about the PRS-700 contrast vs. the PRS-505 and it's more expensive)
  • Backlight: Sony PRS-700
  • Availability: The Sony devices are readily available locally from the Sony stores. The Cybook device is only available online and is currently on backorder (Cybook bundle). How will Books on Board (BoB) handle a repair issue with the Cybook with only online contact? BoB is out of the U.S. (I'm in Canada) but don't list a phone number. I don't know.

My gut tells me that the Cybook is the right device for my requirements but I'm holding out for epub support and maybe HTML hyperlink capability. It does make me a little uncomfortable that I can only get this device from BoB and it's on backorder (and more expensive than the PRS-505). I've seen the Sony devices and they appear to be well engineered. If only they had dictionary support, I'd be all over the Sony devices.

What also has me in a kerfuffle is that I carry a Blackberry Bold smartphone that already has Mobipocket and eReader support. It also has dictionary support (for mobi books) and backlight support and is always with me. With the exception of the screen size and frequent page flips, I have the ability to read all of my ebooks with no issue. So, I'm now questioning whether I should spend upwards of $300 at all for a dedicated ebook device although it would be an improved reading experience I suspect.

The indecision continues...

Last edited by All4Fun; 04-13-2009 at 01:48 PM.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Have you looked at the BeBook?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, All4Fun, and enjoy the journey.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Have you looked at the BeBook?
I don't know anything about the BeBook but will find out more about it. I don't see any mention of it in the wiki nor a dedicated sub-forum for it.

I'm sure you've just helped muddy the waters though.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
I don't know anything about the BeBook but will find out more about it. I don't see any mention of it in the wiki nor a dedicated sub-forum for it.
The BeBook is a Hanlin V3. You could also buy the EZ Reader, another Hanlin V3 from the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post

I'm sure you've just helped muddy the waters though.
It's a Hanlin v3, http://mybebook.com/ I just thought it worth mentioning.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
If dictionary support is important, the Cybook is probably what you need. If I were you, and it is possible for you, I'd hold off the next weeks until we know more about a possible Cybook update.

The Cybook support for prc/mobi is great. I used ot have a Cybook, and with the then current firmware (summer 2008 - which I also think is the current) it tended to crash regularly when displaying PDFs.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
If you want to take a look at the Cybook Gen3 I could probably arrange to show you mine if that would help?

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
All4Fun
Zealot

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate it.

I read a little about the BeBook/Hanlin V3/EZ Reader but haven't been able to read anything about its dictionary support. I understand that a BeBook2 is coming out in the latter part of 2009 which looks promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
If you want to take a look at the Cybook Gen3 I could probably arrange to show you mine if that would help?

Mel
Mel, I really do appreciate the offer. I'm actually up in Brampton so it may be an effort to get out to you depending on where you are in Toronto.

Considering that you are in my local area, how was your overall experience with your order of the Cybook from BoB? Are you happy with the device?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I'm right downtown and don't get out to Brampton much. My experience has been good but I ordered the Cybook directly from Bookeen prior to it being carried in North American online stores. So I can't give you any feedback on customer service there either.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
All4Fun
Zealot

I ended up buying the PRS-505 (after exchanging the PRS-700). I like the design and I don't mind format shifting ebooks to epub or lrf to work on the reader. I don't get a dictionary like the Cybook but I'll make do.

Thanks to everyone for offering their insight and opinions.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Enjoy your 505! Happy reading!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
rbarhat
rbarhat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony-PRS 505
Kelly i'm stuck up in the same dilemna as u were in sometime back.. Even i'm planning to go for the Sony 505. I have many Mobipocket books and PDFs, is conversion a problem in that case?
Let me also know about ur satisfaction with the Sony. Thanx, enjoy.
rbarhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarhat View Post
Kelly i'm stuck up in the same dilemna as u were in sometime back.. Even i'm planning to go for the Sony 505. I have many Mobipocket books and PDFs, is conversion a problem in that case?
Let me also know about ur satisfaction with the Sony. Thanx, enjoy.
You can convert DRM-free Mobipocket books to either .lrf or .epub format using Calibre. Everything you want to know about Calibre, including where to download it, can be found here in the MobileRead forums --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Sony 505 reads PDF files. And, if the PDF were created specifically for the small screen, they look spectacular on the Sony. If, however, the PDF were created to be printed on A4 paper (or 8.5x11 inch paper as in the USA), then it's likely to be difficult to read on the Sony -- depending on the original font size and margins.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote