Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Unofficial Sigil Ubuntu-ish binary packages

** Mods/Sigil devs: as always ... please feel free to remove the thread/links if deemed inappropriate for any reason. **

No guarantee these will work on your hardware, but I've had good luck with them on Ubuntu 11.10 and higher. Basically, anything with glibc >= 2.13 has a pretty good shot--as long as your hardware is "relatively" recent.

So if you don't want to download the 400Mb Qt5 installer and/or mess around with compiling, these might be for you. If they work.
(actually, these packages are only intended as a stop-gap measure until Qt5 becomes part of official package management systems)

These packages contain the necessary Qt5 libs and a script to launch Sigil. It's nothing fancy and you have no choices on where to install (/usr/local), so it would probably be wise to remove/backup any other version of Sigil before proceeding.

Install with a graphical package manager of your choice or just use:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i filename.deb
from a terminal to install, and
Code:
sudo dpkg -r sigil
to remove. That's it.

You can launch by typing "sigil" at a terminal or a sigil.desktop file will be created in /usr/local/share/applications that you can create a shortcut to (there should also be an entry for Sigil in the "Office" category of most desktop environments' menu system).

File listings for the packages contents are attached.
(File sizes in file listing are for the 64-bit package)

"Current" version - 0.8.6 - w/Qt5.4.1 (~47-49Mb):

The 64-bit Linux deb package (Sigil-0.8.6-Linux-x86_64.deb):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwu...ew?usp=sharing

The 32-bit Linux deb package (Sigil-0.8.6-Linux-x86.deb):

Older Versions:
--------------------------------------
The 64-bit Linux deb package (Sigil-0.8.5-Linux-x86_64.deb):

The 32-bit Linux deb package (Sigil-0.8.4-Linux-x86.deb):

The 64-bit Linux deb package (Sigil-0.8.4-Linux-x86_64.deb):
Attached Files
File Type: txt pkg-file-list-0.8.4.txt (6.5 KB, 876 views)
File Type: txt pkg-file-list-0.8.5.txt (13.3 KB, 818 views)
File Type: txt pkg-file-list-0.8.6.txt (13.9 KB, 899 views)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-15-2015 at 09:23 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Installed and tried, all good so far, yet to do proper testing though.

Thanks.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the report! A real test will, of course, be on a system that doesn't have Qt5 already installed. Not sure if that's the case with your installation.

If you think of it, could you add what flavor/version of Linux you're using (and which package you installed--32/64-bit)? I may update the first post to indicate the environments the binary packages have been confirmed to work with (after you're satisfied with your testing, of course).

Thanks again.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-28-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
@DiapDealer

Working pretty fast with LMDE 64 bits. It says that it uses 5.02 in memory and I only have 5.0 installed, so it looks very OK.

Thanks a lot for this, because I had given up on updating Sigil 0.7. I also heard some Linux users on a Kobo thread complaining about the difficulty of installing Sigil.

Did you create the deb using check install?

Now I have four Sigil(s) on my computer
- 0.6 64 bits (old one)
- 0.7 64 bits compiled
- 0.7.2 64 bits your deb
- 0.7.2 32 bits with Wine

I will clean three of them and only keep yours.

Last edited by roger64; 04-28-2013 at 10:18 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Did you create the deb using check install?
No, I created my own directory structure, made the necessary changes to the launch script and added the necessary Qt libs, then built the package using the standard dpkg-deb -b command. Checkinstall's handy, but using it would have meant wading into Sigil's cmake install instuctions/code. I'm a little cmake-ignorant.

Thanks for the success report!
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite

Works on my Ubuntu 12.04 system. All my old short cuts and calibre open with plugin still works.

First I removed Sigil 0.6.2. using the package manager, then disabled the PPA.

Installed the 32-bit Linux debian package, do not have QT5 on my system.

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Thanks for the report! A real test will, of course, be on a system that doesn't have Qt5 already installed. Not sure if that's the case with your installation.

If you think of it, could you add what flavor/version of Linux you're using (and which package you installed--32/64-bit)? I may update the first post to indicate the environments the binary packages have been confirmed to work with (after you're satisfied with your testing, of course).

Thanks again.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
All my old short cuts and calibre open with plugin still works.
That was part of the plan. Glad it's working for you!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That was part of the plan. Glad it's working for you!
I had gave up on trying to translate the compile instructions into something I understood and could use.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I had gave up on trying to translate the compile instructions into something I understood and could use.
To be fair; the official instructions for building Sigil from source are some of the most thorough, concise, and orderly I've had the pleasure of encountering. Anyone who knows their way around a bash shell and is no stranger to the compilation process in general is lucky that someone took the time to prepare instructions that explicit.

But not everybody's cut out for that kind of stuff. If you don't know, you don't know. Hopefully, this will hold some people over until Qt5 hits the repositories and Sigil can be installed with the usual package management methods.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
DiapDealer,

Thank you! it works well too here (LMDE 64b)!

You are the best
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #11
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Further report:
Using Lubuntu 12.10 32bit, QT5 was not installed.

After actually using it to edit an epub - working well.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Installed and running on Raring (64bit). No issues so far.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Tanks !

Saved my evening.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #14
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't know if you're still wanting reports, but I'll give you mine anyway

Irritatingly, I couldn't use wget with the link you provided, so had to download with my browser and then scp to the machine I wanted it on. That appears to be a Google Docs thing, so not really something you can influence I guess.

Installed and ran without any problems, on Lubuntu 13.04 (Raring). This is a pretty new install, only a week or so old. I have a bunch of QT4 libraries, but no QT5.

I was running it via X forwarded over SSH. Worked fine, no problems, though I did get the following messages.

Code:
russ@Chapterhouse:~$ sigil
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau
libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.
I'm fairly certain I've seen the same messages when running other programs via X over SSH, and not had problems, so I'm not concerned, just thought the information might be useful.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Glad to hear it's working. I could probably jump through some hoops and get a direct download link for the files on Google Docs, but they certainly don't make it easy. Also, I thought I remembered something about MR frowning on direct download links, so I tend to avoid them while here. Could be wrong though. I know it always makes me a bit nervous when I click on a link provided by an anonymous do-gooder on the internet and a 'save-as' dialog immediately pops up. So I like to provide people several opportunities to bail-out along the way, in case they get uncomfortable about anything.