Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Editing LRF metadata?

OK, after two weeks with my Reader, I have come to the official conclusion that the least-useful feature (to me) is the ability to view the Library by date. I honestly don't care about the file creation dates, and I can remember on my own what I was reading most recently.

HOWEVER, this feature would become useful if I could somehow edit the "date" data to reflect the original publication date rather than the file creation date. This means that I'd rather see Shakespeare as January 1598 than January 2008. Is this even possible?

I had thought about submitting this as a ticket to libprs500, but I don't want to waste Kovid's time until I can find out if it's feasble.

Thanks!

Curt

Last edited by curtw; 01-27-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: corrected spelling error
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Look at lrf-meta (inside libprs500)
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godel10 View Post
Look at lrf-meta (inside libprs500)
Could you be a little more specific? The date is not part of the editable meta information in the Mac OS (GUI). Is it command-line only? the TRAC server for libprs500 does not include a list of command line utilities.

Last edited by curtw; 01-27-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
curtw
Outside of a dog

I just discovered that I can "fudge" it by simply manually setting the computer's calendar to the desired date right before I import the book (well, it has worked on books going back as far as 1972).
Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
kulaga
kulaga doesn't litterkulaga doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Try EditLRFMeta

Try EditLRFMeta: http://editlrfmeta.peterknowles.com/ (Link taken from MobileRead wiki). You can change the date, author and title of any LRF. I use it quite a bit for correcting info.
kulaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulaga View Post
Try EditLRFMeta: http://editlrfmeta.peterknowles.com/ (Link taken from MobileRead wiki). You can change the date, author and title of any LRF. I use it quite a bit for correcting info.
Sorry, I'm still running Mac OS.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
That's not something to apologize for, it's something to boast about!

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Mono runs on Mac OS too.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Libprs500 has lrf-meta which is used to edit the metadata and works with OS X just fine.

https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Libprs500 has lrf-meta which is used to edit the metadata and works with OS X just fine.

https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/
That's what I'm trying to do, but I haven't received a clue/pointer. whatever part of lrf-meta is in the GUI for the Mac version, the date tags are NOT one of them.

I can't find a guide to to using the command-line tools on the TRAC.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Mono runs on Mac OS too.
I'm too dangerous to be allowed to work with source code. Even with Applescript, I managed to wipe out my entire userspace (replaced my home diractory with a single txt file having the same name).
Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #12
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I just discovered that I can "fudge" it by simply manually setting the computer's calendar to the desired date right before I import the book (well, it has worked on books going back as far as 1972).
From playing with mine today, I'm 99% sure that when you load a book onto the internal memory of the device, the "created timestamp" is the one that it uses for the date. IOW, it shows you the date when you added the book to the internal memory (or to the SD/Memstick card).

Alternately, it may be possible to muck with the creation timestamp using a shell utility. I don't have an recommendations for that, and I'm pretty sure the various versions of unix "touch" don't let you change the "creation timestamp".
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote