Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
boylec
boylec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Kindle survived 75 MPH motorcycle crash

Recently, I had my Kindle 3 in my saddle bag on my bike, and wound up getting in a high speed wreck on the highway. The bike was in pieces, saddle bags spilled open, and I went about 150 feet through the air and across the highway.

When I got out of the hospital and went through all my belongings, the kindle was one of the goods recovered off the side of the road, along with some other stuff. Much to my surprise, I recently turned it on and it works flawlessly!

I had a cover for it, but I am shocked that the impact didn't kill it (or me).

Love this thing.
boylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'm glad that you survived. It is great to hear your Kindle did too, but it is easily replaced while a life is not.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
crap, forget the Kindle - how are you doing?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yay for the Kindle surviving, but wow, you're a lucky man to have survived that. Glad to hear that you're doing okay.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylec View Post
Recently, I had my Kindle 3 in my saddle bag on my bike, and wound up getting in a high speed wreck on the highway. The bike was in pieces, saddle bags spilled open, and I went about 150 feet through the air and across the highway.

When I got out of the hospital and went through all my belongings, the kindle was one of the goods recovered off the side of the road, along with some other stuff. Much to my surprise, I recently turned it on and it works flawlessly!

I had a cover for it, but I am shocked that the impact didn't kill it (or me).

Love this thing.
Wow Someone was watching out for you! Happy to hear you are okay!

What type of cover do you have?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
WOW ... Good to hear YOU survived ... But I think your Kindle deserves a NEW book being bought for it in celebration of you both being here to tell the tale !

Have a great Christmas,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you wear your superman costume at the time?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
papapatty
papapatty doesn't litterpapapatty doesn't litter

Device: Fire
Glad you are ok!
papapatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
So good to hear that you made it and hopefully in one piece! Even better that you get to recover and read with your war-buddy Kindle.

Ugh. I really dislike riding in windy weather. That only gets compounded by having to pass a semi on the freeway.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm glad that you survived. It is great to hear your Kindle did too, but it is easily replaced while a life is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
crap, forget the Kindle - how are you doing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Yay for the Kindle surviving, but wow, you're a lucky man to have survived that. Glad to hear that you're doing okay.
all of the above!

Hope you're recovering/recovered and well.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I am glad you survived. And I am glad that your Kindle survived too.

Let's not put the pair of you through anything like this again, okay?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #12
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Merry Christmas, Boylec! I'm glad you're here to see it!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree with the others. You sound like you were very lucky. Hope you make a complete recovery and have a Merry Christmas.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
boylec
boylec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
^ Thanks to all for the wishing me well, I'm glad to see another Christmas. I'm recovering quite nicely, lost a few brain cells but am walking and working again. Having nearly unlimited reading material on hand makes tedious and painful evenings a joy.

Life is good!

Kindle was in an Amazon case with slide out light. I've been very happy with the K3 since I've purchased it, and was impressed with its resilience.
boylec is offline   Reply With Quote