Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
nick541
nick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 2 (international)
I found references to "PRIME_EBOOKS" and "kindle-video-slate" on Amazon pages!

I was on the Manage My Kindle page on Amazon.com and thought I would inspect some of the scripts and stylesheets of the page to see if there was anything related to a new Kindle. I was looking specifically for an image of a new Kindle (since a thumbnail of your current Kindle device is displayed on this page), but I was unable to find the image URL in the source. However, I did find some references to unannounced products.

The first can be found by examining the contents of the variable "downloadableOwnedFionas". (You may remember that the codename of the Kindle is Fiona.) I assume that this variable contains a list of all of the Kindle devices you can download content to and includes their capabilities for what they can download. I have a Kindle 2 International, so you'll see in the below image that I have 1 device that fits a lot of the capabilities like active content, audio, book purchasing, and more. The Kindle 2's did not have Wi-Fi, which is why it says I have 0 Wi-Fi capable devices. But I did see that my device is capable of something that hasn't been announced - PRIME_EBOOKS_COMPATIBLE; this is almost certainly the rumored Amazon Prime service that would let you get free books similar to how you can get streaming movies!

The second is found in one of the scripts used by the page that creates the list of your devices and the basic layout of the page. You'll notice that it's in the function "VideoFooter", which, I speculate, is a function to show some sort of banner at the bottom of the page advertising the new device. What's more interesting is that it refers to a page element called "kindle-video-slate" -- so will this mean the new Kindle can be described as a "video slate" or tablet?!

I found both of these things on the official Amazon.com website, not like baseless rumors that don't have proof. I'm very excited for the Prime eBooks service (it'll definitely get me to subscribe!) and the new Kidnle as well. I'll let you guys know if I find anything else.
nick541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm not seeing the second one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
nick541
nick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheesenick541 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 2 (international)
Here's how to see this for yourself, as long as Amazon hasn't removed it.

1. Visit Amazon's Kindle management page in Google Chrome. You can find that page here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...#manageDevices.
2. If it's not already selected, click "Manage Your Devices" under "Your Kindle Account" at the left.
3. Right click anywhere on the page and choose Inspect Element.
4. Choose the Console tab.
5. Type in exactly the following without quotes: "downloadableOwnedFionas".
6. Click the little arrow next to Object and there is what is in the first image!
7. Choose the Resources tab. Click in the search field in the upper right of the developer tools, next to the X.
8. Type in exactly the following without quotes: "VideoFooter()".
9. Press Enter. There is what is in the second image!
nick541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Interesting finds. Good work.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Interesting.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It turns out there's a bigger secret in the code:

The Kindle Tablet could come with Kindle Cloud Storage on Wednesday
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-on-wednesday/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It turns out there's a bigger secret in the code:

The Kindle Tablet could come with Kindle Cloud Storage on Wednesday
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-on-wednesday/
Quote:
Everyone assumes that the Kindle Tablet will be launched on Wednesday, and it is safe to assume that the kTab will have the Cloud Drive integrated into the software. Amazon will already let you upload all sorts of files to the CD, so it would be a little silly if their own tablet couldn’t read the personal Kindle ebooks that the kTab can get from the CD.
"kTab" - first time I've seen that designation. It would make an awesome name for the tablet.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Busirane
Busirane began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
"kTab" - first time I've seen that designation. It would make an awesome name for the tablet.
It's close to "kitab", which is Arabic for "book":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitab
Busirane is offline   Reply With Quote