Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just Write It: George R. R. Martin (New Yorker Article)

Just Write It!
A fantasy author and his impatient fans.
by Laura Miller April 11, 2011
George R. R. Martin

George R. R. Martin’s story suggests a new sense of what an author owes his readers.

The writer George R. R. Martin left Hollywood in 1994, determined to do what he wanted for a change. He’d had some success in television, working on a new version of “The Twilight Zone” and on the fantasy series “Beauty and the Beast.” But the pilot for “Doorways,” a series he’d developed, hadn’t been picked up, and he was tired of the medium’s limitations.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...?currentPage=1
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Interesting - not in the Chinese sense or the Homer Simpson sense. Thanks again, Kenny.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
2005? Pah. I've been waiting for the next War Against the Chtorr book since 1993. Kids today, they've got no patience.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
2005? Pah. I've been waiting for the next War Against the Chtorr book since 1993. Kids today, they've got no patience.
Damn. Has it been that long? Wow...

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Egads. I was five years old then. I'm twenty-two years old now o_o That's a lifetime, man. Is that writer working on other projects? I sure hope so.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I know what you mean. I can remember going to see the original "Clash of the titans" when I was a kid. I was around 10.5 -11 yrs old (in 1981) and now poof! I'm 40 and they've made a remake of it. lol. Time does pass by faster than we think. I just did the math and I was 22 in 1993. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post
Egads. I was five years old then. I'm twenty-two years old now o_o That's a lifetime, man. Is that writer working on other projects? I sure hope so.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First SF movie that I remember and blew my sox off was "The Day the World Stood Still"

the first SF book I remember reading was "Pellucidar" by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

It was all an avalanche from there.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post
Is that writer working on other projects? I sure hope so.
Not that I've noticed. He's probably just living it up on his Star Trek royalties. I just had a look and there's going to be another 3 books in the series, I'll probably be long dead before they're published at this rate.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
First SF movie that I remember and blew my sox off was "The Day the World Stood Still"

the first SF book I remember reading was "Pellucidar" by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

It was all an avalanche from there.
FWIW, J. Michael Stracynski is remaking Forbidden Planet, and it looks as if it will be a done as a Trilogy, with second ship to arrive at Altair 4 not making an appearance until the third movie.

Will it be Harrison Ford's Fugitive to the David Janssen's TV version, or Keanu Reeves' remake of The Day the World Stood Still to the original starring Michael Rennie?

Just don't screw up Robbie!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
FWIW, J. Michael Stracynski is remaking Forbidden Planet, and it looks as if it will be a done as a Trilogy, with second ship to arrive at Altair 4 not making an appearance until the third movie.

Will it be Harrison Ford's Fugitive to the David Janssen's TV version, or Keanu Reeves' remake of The Day the World Stood Still to the original starring Michael Rennie?

Just don't screw up Robbie!
Interesting.