Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Kobo---thumbs up for the Canadian content!

Kobo isn't perfect (no wish list feature, no shopping cart, no bookshelf organizing) but one thing they are doing right is getting some Canadian content out into ebookland. They remain the only people who had the latest Coupland, they heavily featured the winning book in the Canada Reads promo CBC does (although only in English translation---the winning book was originally published in French) and I just spotted Anne-Marie MacDonald on their top 50 list---I am thrilled because that book was one of the few fiction holdouts on my 'not available in ebook yet' bookshelf and it's absolutely massive and with teeny printing, so I am happy to be rid of it and to have it ready to be liberated and loaded onto the device of my choosing.

I think that, as prices standardize due to the upcoming 'agency' apocalypse, this might be a way for certain stores to differentiate themselves. I would love to see Kobo have a dedicated Can-con section in their sidebar the same way they now have the top 50, NYT best-sellers etc. I think a lot of Canadian readers have a real interest in reading these types of books. And dare I hope for French books one day?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
ficbot, do they have any books about the CFL?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
They do have a "wish list" of sorts. Just choose a book and hit "add to library". It'll sit there in your collection, waiting for you to pay for it. I actually find it very handy. And while I found the "no shopping cart" thing strange at first, I'm used to it now. I don't see why you'd need a cart anyway, with their system.
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
ficbot, do they have any books about the CFL?
I found one, Bob Ackles' book. There are probably others, but I think you have to know what you are looking for. It doesn't distinguish Canadian football from American football in its search.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
It's search engine is a little fiddly and I don't know much about football You have to stumble across it or know what you're looking for.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

By the way, the Ackles eBook is $13.99. Amazon.ca has the paperback for $15.85.