Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
Maverynthia
Enthusiast
Maverynthia began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 3 8.0 /Samsung Galaxy S5 / PC
Arrow Need help picking new ereader app

I currently use Cool Reader for my reader app having switched from FBReader. I like the fact that Cool Reader presents ALL my SD card options, while FBReader seems to have gone all obtuse on them.
However CoolReader doesn't have a key feature, I can't select a folder and have that as a "Main Library" AND have it search the SUBfolders.
I use Calibre and I have Calibre put books in folders by authors, however I haven't seen any ereader app that reads subfolders yet.

So basically I want to open the app and be presented with ALL the books in the folder/subfolders, not just the recently read. (However keep those at the top.)

I do not want it to "import" to it's own folder. I already have a folder. Mine is good enough. Moon Reader and Adaliko is out as they do this.

I need it to read epub, txt, html, mobi, maybe pdf

If there is a plugin that makes CoolReader do this that'd be nice. So plugins are an option.

I tried setting up FBReader to do this, however it doesn't do the subfolder read either. :c

Is there any reader app that can do this, or is CoolReader pretty much the one.
Maverynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am using moon reader pro. I love it and I believe it will look at your different folders.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverynthia View Post
I can't select a folder and have that as a "Main Library" AND have it search the SUBfolders.
I use Calibre and I have Calibre put books in folders by authors, however I haven't seen any ereader app that reads subfolders yet.

So basically I want to open the app and be presented with ALL the books in the folder/subfolders, not just the recently read. (However keep those at the top.)

I do not want it to "import" to it's own folder. I already have a folder. Mine is good enough. Moon Reader and Adaliko is out as they do this.
Is there any reader app that can do this, or is CoolReader pretty much the one.
Moon+ Reader Pro does all of the things you want. You do not have to import books you can choose My Files and it will open the directory you tell it and sub-folders are no problem.

My personal setup uses Calibre Companion (CC) to view my library of books on my device. When I find one I want to read I simply use CC to open the book in the reader of my choice (Moon+).
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #4
Maverynthia
Enthusiast

OK I'll give Moon Reader+ a go. I'll also try that Calibre Companion. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I use Moon+ Pro and Calibre Companion too. It's a great combination.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am using moon reader pro and calibre companion and if I am away from home I use calibre cloud and I have a copy of my calibre library on dropbox.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I am using moon reader pro and calibre companion and if I am away from home I use calibre cloud and I have a copy of my calibre library on dropbox.
Calibre Companion works away from home too with the content server, and Moon+ can access your books in Dropbox. What's calibre cloud do that these don't?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life

nothing really I was using it before I started using moon reader pro and just have not given up on it.

I am in the process of revamping my caliber libraries, and also with planning I can store enough books on my nexus that I do not need to worry about have my cloud library.
So I am learning as I go.

Last edited by cvkemp; 04-10-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
Maverynthia
Enthusiast

OK I'm having trouble with both CC and Moon Reader+, namely that Moon Reader won't read the series info from the metadata NOR the cover that's in the folder and Calibre Companion doesn't seem to be having any covers at all unless I "Send to Device" from Calibre, as in, it doesn't read the info that's already there.
Also CC wants to take forever to Sync ALL my books with Calibre and I have a ton of them. I have to do this EVERY TIME I want to use Calibre Companion. If I cancel it won't still be connected. It seems to do this for books that have already been synced. (Found 512 NEW books... the same books that were there last time... yup...)
So moon reader has a bunch of books titled "Maria-sama ga Miteru" however that's just the series name, I can't tell it to parse the file name, or better yet, read the metadata on the book. As I have the file names as [Series name][number] - [Full Title], just so they show up in the folder in order.
So neither seems to be doing all that much better than Cool Reader, other than Moon Reader+ gives me a shelf of books with no covers on them.
Also when I have Calibre "Send To Device" while CC is connected it'll just dump them in the folder and ignore any save rules I have defined.

Last edited by Maverynthia; 04-11-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK I'm having trouble with both CC and Moon Reader+, namely that Moon Reader won't read the series info from the metadata NOR the cover that's in the folder and Calibre Companion doesn't seem to be having any covers at all unless I "Send to Device" from Calibre, as in, it doesn't read the info that's already there.
You should start a thread in the Calibre Companion forum and take a little time and read through the CC FAQ.

Also check the settings menu in the CC app.

Quote:
Also CC wants to take forever to Sync ALL my books with Calibre and I have a ton of them. I have to do this EVERY TIME I want to use Calibre Companion. If I cancel it won't still be connected. It seems to do this for books that have already been synced. (Found 512 NEW books... the same books that were there last time... yup...)
I have 10,000 books on my device and it took CC less than three minutes to connect to calibre as a device. Getting those books on the device takes time but it is a one time investment of my time.

Quote:
So moon reader has a bunch of books titled "Maria-sama ga Miteru" however that's just the series name, I can't tell it to parse the file name, or better yet, read the metadata on the book. As I have the file names as [Series name][number] - [Full Title], just so they show up in the folder in order.
If you use CC then you have no need of altering the filename or looking at the books through Moon+Reader. You also have no need to import the books into Moon+Reader.

Quote:
So neither seems to be doing all that much better than Cool Reader, other than Moon Reader+ gives me a shelf of books with no covers on them.
You are making this more difficult then it needs to be. Simply
Quote:
Also when I have Calibre "Send To Device" while CC is connected it'll just dump them in the folder and ignore any save rules I have defined.
I use the Use book ID as filename option so I have no idea which book is which using the filename. The point of using CC is quick easy access to your books through an excellent visual interface.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-11-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Also CC wants to take forever to Sync ALL my books with Calibre and I have a ton of them. I have to do this EVERY TIME I want to use Calibre Companion.
Just commenting on this one issue. I have 6 Calibre libraries, with books from all libraries on the tablet. I did have over 5000 books (well a LOT are short stories) and yes it would take a LONG time to complete sync. I removed several thousand, and the time speeded up.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #12
Maverynthia
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I have 10,000 books on my device and it took CC less than three minutes to connect to calibre as a device. Getting those books on the device takes time but it is a one time investment of my time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Just commenting on this one issue. I have 6 Calibre libraries, with books from all libraries on the tablet. I did have over 5000 books (well a LOT are short stories) and yes it would take a LONG time to complete sync. I removed several thousand, and the time speeded up.
Uhh did you read the part where I said that it wants to re-sync ALL BOOKS . EVERYTIME? So it is not a "one time investment" nor do I want to remove any books for a speedup. That defeats the purpose of having a library.

Also reading the settings doesn't give me much on folder organization other than "move Epubs to THIS folder and MOBI to THAT folder" The rest of the settings are cosmetic to CC.

SO, I am going back to my original plea, is there a reader app that does what I want that is not Moon Reader, Aldaliko, Moon Reader+ with CC, and that can take those formats, (I also found out that Moon Reader pro doesn't take PDFs, you need extras for that.) and that I don't need a computer science degree to use.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Uhh did you read the part where I said that it wants to re-sync ALL BOOKS . EVERYTIME? So it is not a "one time investment" nor do I want to remove any books for a speedup. That defeats the purpose of having a library.
You are experiencing an anomaly with the syncing of books. The first time it reads the metadata from each book it finds. Subsequent connections it only syncs metadata from calibre to CC. Did you read the part where I said to open up a thread in the CC forum or maybe the part where I suggested you read the FAQ?

Quote:
Also reading the settings doesn't give me much on folder organization other than "move Epubs to THIS folder and MOBI to THAT folder" The rest of the settings are cosmetic to CC.
The third item stops the Scan on connect.

Quote:
SO, I am going back to my original plea, is there a reader app that does what I want that is not Moon Reader, Aldaliko, Moon Reader+ with CC, and that can take those formats, (I also found out that Moon Reader pro doesn't take PDFs, you need extras for that.) and that I don't need a computer science degree to use.
Moon+ Reader Pro can do what you want (including reading PDFs) by itself, but with CC it is dirt simple.

Good Luck with your quest.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Moon+ Reader Pro does all of the things you want. You do not have to import books you can choose My Files and it will open the directory you tell it and sub-folders are no problem.

My personal setup uses Calibre Companion (CC) to view my library of books on my device. When I find one I want to read I simply use CC to open the book in the reader of my choice (Moon+).
Quote:
I have pretty much the same needs and have been unable to locate an app that will satisfy what I am looking for. I tried the free version to see what it offered and thought it did not.... @Maverynthia did you find that this app provided the options you were looking for. I'd just hate to spend the $$ for it and be disappointed, but if it even comes close I'll give it a go.

Ty

Last edited by gabby98; 04-14-2014 at 04:44 PM.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I have pretty much the same needs and have been unable to locate an app that will satisfy what I am looking for. I tried the free version to see what it offered and thought it did not.... @Maverynthia did you find that this app provided the options you were looking for. I'd just hate to spend the $$ for it and be disappointed, but if it even comes close I'll give it a go.

Ty
I use both and they work pretty well for me. You need to use Moon+ for reading only and Calibre Companion for all organization. The dev for Calibre Companion is also a dev for Calibre so he can help with a lot of problems. There's a Calibre Companion specific forum here if you want more info about it. I'd include a link but I'm on my phone.