Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
5.3 Update for Paperwhite -- will it interfere with the jailbreak?

Hello all! Amazon just released a software update for the Paperwhite here.

Anyone have any idea if I can install it on a PW with jailbreak and screensaver hack installed? Or will it cause issues? Thanks!
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
I'm giving it a try, downloading right now. Amount of custom hacks on my PW is really high, so if it'll work on mine, then it should probably work on every PW out there
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
One of the reasons listed for failures is:

Unsupported software modifications are present.

The Kindle doesn't support software modification, and will be unable to update the Kindle software if it has been modified. Contact the original developer of the software modification for instructions on how to remove the modification.

It seems that amazon has acknowledged the work that is going on here....
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good news: It updated successfully. Device still works

Bad news: Update wiped USB network mode, Kindlet jailbreak, some of custom splashes and bringed back ads as screensavers (note that I have used my own, custom console hack to disable them, not any prepared package). I don't know yet if regular jailbreak was wiped too, but I guess it was.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Will look into it ASAP. (164MB? *!*)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
dos1
20% cooler.

Well, I'm grounded. Although jailbreak seems to be working ("Update your Kindle" reacts to custom bin files), I can't install usb network hack, and all my search bar shortcuts don't work anymore. So no Debian for me anymore (unless someone cames up with usb network hack for 5.3.0 )
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dos1: Do custom update packages still run successfully? If they do (or if you already had it installed), USBnet in auto mode might still be working.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
dos1
20% cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@dos1: Do custom update packages still run successfully? If they do (or if you already had it installed), USBnet in auto mode might still be working.
Nope. Both installer and uninstaller showed "Update error 007" and mass storage mode is enabled all the time.

I had usb network hack installed before update and I didn't uninstall it.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA

Last edited by knc1; 11-14-2012 at 08:56 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dos1: Oh, joy. >_<".
Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
The only hack I have is the screensaver one. Nothing about this update is CRUCIAL to me, so I will probably just stay put for the time being.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
@dos1: Oh, joy. >_<".
While your doing that, I will audit the sources of 5.2 and 5.3 for changes.

For myself, the next working Kindle I have is going to get that OTA updater name replaced with a symlink to /bin/true.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh. It's a recovery update. That somewhat explains the size...

While it's nice to finally see an 'official' one, I'm finding not ever having seen one wasn't such a bad thing after all ;D.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
dos1
20% cooler.

Quote:
Huh. It's a recovery update. That somewhat explains the size...

While it's nice to finally see an 'official' one, I'm finding not ever having seen one wasn't such a bad thing after all ;D.
Oh great, so it seems like I just wiped out my scripts, what a great day

I can still hear myself in my head: "Backup? Why for? Those updates are incremental!"

Incremental my ass :v
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, it's a recovery update, it's flashing a full rootfs+kernel, oldschool.

Yay. -_-".