Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #16
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
How can they even dare to compare the Kindle to the iPod?

One can argue the kindle is something that "Just works" / "does the job". But this ugly piece of device is everything but "sexy". On the new version it look like it will still be a challenge for a newcomer to pick up this device without pressing any button.

The kindle is more like the "boombox" you carry over the shoulder.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #17
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The source told us that Amazon has “skipped three or four generations,” comparing the old Kindle to the 1st gen iPod and the new version to something like the sexy iPod Mini.
Unutterable nonsense. For this to be true, the next Kindle would have to have an E Ink display with color and touch sensitivity. After all, it's the screen what's most important, and unless I have somehow missed the important news, E Ink hasn't announced any ground-breaking new technologies for this fall.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To the CrunchGear renderers: Don't give up your day jobs.

Oh, wait... that probably is their day job...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
To try to sway the youth market, it's said the new Kindle's will come in trendy new colors.
They're going to need to offer more books in this category if they want to have success here. Things are much better than they used to be, but publishers still seem to be reluctant to issue kids books in ebook editions. (I'm not just talking about Harry Potter.) Examples of popular kids/YA authors who still don't have ebook versions: Shannon Hale, Liz Kessler, Garth Nix (though the Abhorsen series is available, the Keys to the Kingdom and Seventh Tower series are not), Jonathan Stroud, Cornelia Funke.... Not to mention the whole category of manga. Heck, at this point Amazon barely has categories to support children's or YA books.

Perhaps there will be a push on publishers coinciding with the introduction of a "kid friendly" version of the Kindle.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I would think the larger version might be better for college students. Images might look better on the lager screen.

More important than form factor, I hope there are some software changes... file management is very important.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #21
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
International version supporting industry standard (epub?) format and decent file management. That might be something. Slightly smaller with pretty colors... um... zzzzzzz... This rumor needs help.

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 07-16-2008 at 09:15 AM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #22
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
International version supporting industry standard (epub?) format and decent file management. That might be something. Slightly smaller with pretty colors... um... zzzzzzz... This rumor needs help.
No this rumor does not need help because I guarantee that if I buy 1.0, 31 days later 2.0 will hit the shelves, I did not even get my Nap in today because of this rumor.

JJ
Stupid Ducks
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #23
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I would think the larger version might be better for college students. Images might look better on the lager screen.
I've used both "large" screens: the iLiad, and the "smaller" screen of the eReader/Kindle. The smaller screens work very well with "pure text" of books (surprisingly well I found, having started with an iLiad). However, I alo look at both technical books and documents. Putting aside the silly problems some devices have over format support, I find that the "small" displays are too small for technical/professional diagrams (even the iLiad is pushing it for some pictures...). I would guess the same would be true over some of the graphics you see in some newspapers.

So what am I actually saying. I think there is a good market place for both size displays, and some books/material may be available to only some devices to ensure readability. It would therefore make sense for Amazon to have two devices. It even mirrors the hardback/paperback divide in publishing today (okay, so there have been rumours of the death of the hardback, but my local bookshop doesn't seem to have heard of them....).

Staggered release of books to devices at different prices, anyone?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To add to the rumor, it seems that shipping delays are back.

Edit: The Kindle Buy page is only offering "FREE with Super Saver Shipping" instead of the 1 or 2 day free shipping.

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-16-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #25
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
That would be fine with me. One thing that has bothered me about Kindle is the 'all eggs in one basket' problem...if something happens to the Kindle, I'm not gonna be able to read any of those new books I just bought. If a new one comes out, I will spring for it and the old one will be moved to 'backup' status, where it lives on my nightstand for bedtime reading.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Personally, I thought Duck a l' Orange was better than Duck in Plum Sauce...
That's Duck a la Kindle, thank you very much!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #27
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
That's Ok I am thinking Roast Duck for dinner!!!
It's rabbit season.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #28
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
It's rabbit season.
Oh but you dont know the wrascally duck Like I do!!!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #29
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
It's rabbit season.
Shouldn't that be "wabbit season"?

I don't think a screen smaller than the iLiad would work very well for manga, which is very popular with younger readers right now. But I admit I haven't tried it on a 6" screen, because I don't have one. There is that CBZ/LRF converter, so I guess enough people are willing to try it that I may be completely wrong on this... anyone care to share their experiences?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post

I don't think a screen smaller than the iLiad would work very well for manga,
What is "manga"? I know the Kindle has some .manga files but I don't really know what it is. I tried Google and looks like it has something to do with Anime.

Tags
duck!