Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 AM   #31
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
If this is really 768x1024 it seems like a perfect size/resolution at 8.1 inches. It would be a little sharper than my PRS-700 and a bigger screen but not too big. If this device doesn't suffer from the slightly iffy contrast and too-shiny screen it could be the perfect device.

I have a feeling that by the time I'm ready to buy a new reader (a long way off) there will be a lot of good, cheap(ish) choices.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #32
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this rumored iRex going to support ePub (I hope so) or will it support Mobipocket (I hope not).
Apparently IRex is working together with Adobe, so we could assume it'll support ePub...

Last edited by Sweetpea; 08-07-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: duh!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 AM   #33
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Oh, oh, oh, oh the excitement!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #34
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
another temptation! No, get these goodies out of my face! Just kidding, bring them on
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #35
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Interesting device. I think 8.1" would be a great size, specially if portability is not a main concern.

Looking forward to seeing the final specs, form factor and price.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed
Old 08-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #37
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Mmm, big screen, tactile, should support ePub. Mmm, might be what i'm looking for.
3G ? What's the point of 3G anyway ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Mmm, big screen, tactile, should support ePub. Mmm, might be what i'm looking for.
3G ? What's the point of 3G anyway ?
It's the current buzz-word...
Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
If this is really 768x1024 it seems like a perfect size/resolution at 8.1 inches. It would be a little sharper than my PRS-700 and a bigger screen but not too big.
An 8.1 diagonal 3:4 aspect ratio screen of 768x1024 is at 158dpi. The 6" eInk screens are 167dpi. The 5" eInk screens are 200dpi.

For a new 8.1 screen I'd be hoping for at least 960x1280 resolution - 198 dpi.

(I think eInk ought to be working towards 300dpi - 900x1200 on a 5" screen, perhaps 1440x1920 on an 8.1".)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, but this is because they have the Java MobiPocket Reader. If iRex switches to mobile ADE then they loose the dictionary support along with the MOBI support.
if Sony can have a dictionary on the 600, why can't other devices that support ePub? And losing Mobi support is not a bad thing at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #41
DG25
Enthusiast
DG25 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I hope it will have a plastic screen, because at this size, a glass screen is a big no-no for me.
DG25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #42
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Don't be an early adapter on iRex stuff and certainly don't buy it in a hurry "because you want it for Xmass". The build quality is absolutely never up to par with what Sony , Bookeen, World + Dog , tends to do. Inside they look like mid 90's technology, made out of mid 70's plastics. Seriously. Don't rush, some other players are bound to come out with big readers in the next couple of quarters too, not just iRex.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #43
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
An 8.1 diagonal 3:4 aspect ratio screen of 768x1024 is at 158dpi. The 6" eInk screens are 167dpi. The 5" eInk screens are 200dpi.

For a new 8.1 screen I'd be hoping for at least 960x1280 resolution - 198 dpi.

(I think eInk ought to be working towards 300dpi - 900x1200 on a 5" screen, perhaps 1440x1920 on an 8.1".)
I find the resolution on my PRS-505 already pretty awesome!
It's like finer than a laptop's resolution.

A higher resolution usually means slower page turning, lower battery life, and often an increase in quality that is hardly perceivable.

I find that on a 5" screen, I tend to put it closer to my face, because everything looks so small. On an 8" screen, I'd probably put that further away from my face, because it's bigger,and thus easier to read.
When you put your device further away from you, resolution matters less.

On an 800x600 screen, the screen was just not able to comfortably display pdf A4 or letterbox 8by11" papersize text.
The increase in resolution will most likely allow text to be viewable, though perhaps still in a small fontsize (like 8pt), but better than the current fontsize which looks much like 6pt to me.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #44
TotalRoul
TotaleReader Crew
TotalRoul is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad, Cybook, Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Don't be an early adapter on iRex stuff and certainly don't buy it in a hurry "because you want it for Xmass". The build quality is absolutely never up to par with what Sony , Bookeen, World + Dog , tends to do. Inside they look like mid 90's technology, made out of mid 70's plastics. Seriously. Don't rush, some other players are bound to come out with big readers in the next couple of quarters too, not just iRex.
I would agree with you, but I have seen some interesting changes recently.

1. The iRex logo has changed
2. The recent press releases have a PR agency in the US mentioned on them (Text100.com)
3. On a recent post on the iRex blog there was mention of Kevin Hamilton
iRex Technologies’ North American CEO.

So it seems they have set up an organization in the US or have been taken over by an American investor / company.

Either way, we'll have to see if they can break away with their old habits of launching beta devices :-)

- Roul, TotaleReaders.com
TotalRoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #45
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
I think this thing looks pretty good, definitely a contender in the european market! I think with this and a 5" device (like the opus), it'd be the perfect combo.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote