Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #76
craziskata
craziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with otherscraziskata plays well with others

Device: DXG
Lessons learned: (1) If it ain't broke, don't update it.... (2) If you want something done right, do it yourself

LASTLY: can you guys help me with the feedback for banggss?
I got a full refund, but it's important to warn other eBayers about the DXs and 80 characters isn't much to work with. Also, negative or neutral feedback?
craziskata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #77
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Feedback: "Poor packaging. Broken on arrival. Prompt refund. "

Because he did refund, I would not damage his rating with negative feedback...

I hope he is using better packaging after this fiasco.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #78
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
If I were in your shoes I would consider the overall experience as negative, hence I would leave a negative feedback.

Only if he had posted refund before you shipped the units back to him I would leave a neutral feedback.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #79
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
... The winner's shipping cost to Romania for those 24 DX kindles is $120 (two flat-rate boxes). I offered to pay $75 of his shipping cost if he adds one of the 16 good ones to my pile before it ships. I am waiting to hear back from him. I need a DXG to test my new eink animation code.
I just heard back from the "good" DX Demo seller:
Quote:
Dear bestvalueforeyou,

I see that it shipped. What was the DX demo buyer's decision on the single DX for $75?

- [geekmaster]
Quote:
Dear [geekmaster],

NO! He actually got very upset and I forget the entire reply but it wasn't something you would have liked to have seen

- bestvalueforeyou
Is there some special Romanian custom unknown to us Americans that we somehow inadvertantly violated by making a simple reasonable offer, demanding such an angry negative response back from him?

Because the winner was quite unhappy with the $120 shipping cost to Romania, perhaps he is angry at me because he thinks that I bid against him, making him pay so much to win the auction. [My bid actually did not get placed due to sniper program issues, or I would have won that auction.]

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-28-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #80
geekmaster

I am now the high bidder on the ebay DX demo from rushproducts. Please do not bid against me to drive up my bid. Thanks. I need a working DX to test my new eink video animation code.

There is another lot of 40 K3 demo units up for bids now, if somebody wants those. I have enough of them for now, I think.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-28-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #81
geekmaster

Somebody outbid my $75 bid (which is the max that I really wanted to pay). I had to increase my bid, so I am in the lead at $81 now. I hope nobody here was bidding against me, because now I will have to pay more than I wanted to.

I really do need a DXG, but I want to pay $75 for it. My other one that now has a broken screen was NOT a demo, and with a cover, it cost $100 including shipping. So to me, $75 is fair for a demo unit. IMHO.

EDIT: I did not win. I still need a DXG eink screen...

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #82
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Do any of your K3s have a good screen with broken mechanical parts?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #83
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Do any of your K3s have a good screen with broken mechanical parts?
Scheduled delivery October 3, and then they will need charging, and then testing... I will post the results to this thread. It may take a long time to charge them all.

I have two K3s with bad screens in my collection now -- how many do you have?

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-29-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #84
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Scheduled delivery October 3, and then they will need charging, and then testing... I will post the results to this thread. It may take a long time to charge them all.

I have two K3s with bad screens in my collection now -- how many do you have?
Just the one luckily.

You're going to need a looooooong power strip.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #85
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Just the one luckily.

You're going to need a looooooong power strip.
Actually, they do not come with chargers or cables, so I need more microUSB cables AND more USB jacks to plug them into. I will have to charge them in small batches.

But I could test the eink screens quickly by plugging them into a good K3.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #86
geekmaster

EDIT: I increased my bid so I am in the lead again. But it is more than I want to pay. I hope the other guy does not jack my price up too much. I need it for code testing...

I asked the vendor if he would sell me one directly, and he wants $200. He said the previous one went for $200.

I got my other one (now broken) for $100 (including shipping) and it was not a demo. It takes significant work to "undemo" the DX demo units, and there is not yet a simple method that I know of. Why the sudden demand for DEMO units? They MUST be using our methods documented here. Even the vendor of that DX demo says in his listing that they can be hacked for full functionality using instructions provided "online" (i.e. here).

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-29-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #87
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
$200 for a demo unit is crazy.
Here is one with buyitnow for $200 and in good shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindl...item1c2bbbcf74

Hopefully amazon will put kindle dx on sale for black friday again.

Quote:
EDIT: I increased my bid so I am in the lead again. But it is more than I want to pay. I hope the other guy does not jack my price up too much. I need it for code testing...

I asked the vendor if he would sell me one directly, and he wants $200. He said the previous one went for $200.

I got my other one (now broken) for $100 (including shipping) and it was not a demo. It takes significant work to "undemo" the DX demo units, and there is not yet a simple method that I know of. Why the sudden demand for DEMO units? They MUST be using our methods documented here. Even the vendor of that DX demo says in his listing that they can be hacked for full functionality using instructions provided "online" (i.e. here).
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #88
geekmaster

I am not in the lead now, and I do not plan to raise my bid. More than $100 for a DEMO unit is just too much, IMHO.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #89
geekmaster

I just bid on the current batch of K3 demos. Please do not bid against me. I will sell you one at cost from my batch.

EDIT: I got them, but somebody was bidding against me, so I paid more than I wanted to. But less than the previous batch. I plan to make a cluster computer from them, with an 8x8 grid of bare eink displays mounted edge-to-edge (4800x6400 eink display), perhaps setting them up as a 64-node K3 Beowulf cluster computer. Is that geeky enough for you?

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-03-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #90
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
Thumbs up

This will be a very cool project !
How do you plan to control the display on each Kindle? VNC via usb or wireless network?

Quote:
I just bid on the current batch of K3 demos. Please do not bid against me. I will sell you one at cost from my batch.

EDIT: I got them, but somebody was bidding against me, so I paid more than I wanted to. But less than the previous batch. I plan to make a cluster computer from them, with an 8x8 grid of bare eink displays mounted edge-to-edge (4800x6400 eink display), perhaps setting them up as a 64-node K3 Beowulf cluster computer. Is that geeky enough for you?
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote