Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Best way to make an ebook from web content ?

Hi,

I would like to make a compilation of texts found on the web (with permission of author). I know how to copy/paste and edit text in regular text processors such as MS Office or Open Office. I know how to set up pages for 6 inches screen. I know about CSS.

What I would like to know is what is the most simple and efficient way to create an ebook with TOC, each texts being a chapter. What process and software ? Several softwares are often mentionned here such as Calibre, Sigil and Mobipocket editor but what method is best suited for me ? And which format for justified text ? PDF, Epub, LRF ?
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastienbillard View Post
Hi,

I would like to make a compilation of texts found on the web (with permission of author). I know how to copy/paste and edit text in regular text processors such as MS Office or Open Office. I know how to set up pages for 6 inches screen. I know about CSS.

What I would like to know is what is the most simple and efficient way to create an ebook with TOC, each texts being a chapter. What process and software ? Several softwares are often mentionned here such as Calibre, Sigil and Mobipocket editor but what method is best suited for me ? And which format for justified text ? PDF, Epub, LRF ?
Use Sigil. It will allow you to paste each web page into a chapter and will create the TOC for you. Works great at creating ePub.

Best thing? It, like Calibre, is FREE!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastienbillard View Post
Hi,

The easiest way is to zip up all the source files including images and then input it into Calibre which accepts zip and an input format. Ust be sure to match whatever structure the original had. Once inside of Calibre you can generate several output formats.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote