Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Iliad Web Browsing

Sorry if this is perfectly obvious to everyone but me, but the information I seek seems to be a bit all over the place in this thread...

Can somebody tell me if I got this right:

How to browse the web with your Iliad:
1. Have the "run shell scripts" bit from Irex installed
2. Run the "activate wireless web access " script
(which I cannot find anywhere)
3. Install and run the browser called dillo.

That it?

Any pointers much appreciated.
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

That should do it. For the "start wireless" script, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=wireless.sh .

Or, you could set your preferred wireless network using the iLiad profile menu, then create a script which contains:

Code:
connectionMgr --stay-connected
Which should work (I think). Don't forget to turn off the wireless card when you're done browsing, to save your battery.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo
Sorry if this is perfectly obvious to everyone but me, but the information I seek seems to be a bit all over the place in this thread...

Can somebody tell me if I got this right:

How to browse the web with your Iliad:
Ok. Let's see if we can put the pointers to this...

Quote:
1. Have the "run shell scripts" bit from Irex installed
Yep. The URL is here:
http://www.irextechnologies.com/node/45

Quote:
2. Run the "activate wireless web access " script
(which I cannot find anywhere)
For wireless access, the only instructions that were mentioned at mobileread are here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc...hp/t-7123.html

I've not tested it (I have used only the wired access for now), but it should be as easy as creating a sh file with (substitute your ssid and encryption key acordingly):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ssid="my_ssid"
enc="0102030405060708090a0b0c0d"
 /usr/bin/wireless.sh start $ssid enc $wep_key
Quote:
3. Install and run the browser called dillo.
Yes, as documented here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8870
You can download it here:
http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...tartica/dillo/

Quote:
That it?
Yes. But: is has only been tested with 2.7, it refreshes the screen more than needed, only has a unreasonably little font (yet) and isn't very stable.

Other than that, it works :-).

Quote:
Any pointers much appreciated.
Hope that was what you were asking for ;-).

P.S.: I'll try to hack a bit in the iliad this week (document the unofficial toolchain, continue with the ted and dillo ports).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Thanks very much, I think I can figure it out now. We'll see how it goes - it seems pretty straightforward, even for the Linux-uninitiated.

I'm not even all that interested in web browsing per se, but I'd much rather have access to Wiki and IMDB that way than drag them around on a chip that I need to update all the time...

Thanks again!
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Could someone please do some work on porting a web browser that works kinda well and easy to install/use?

I would be very glad to browse the internet on my iLiad, because now we have wifi where I work. I would also like to show my colleagues that the iLiad is capable of web browsing as well so if you have time ...
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
I'm a bit surprised why the web browser isnt the first on the list of the developers here at MR.
If i'd knew how to code, that would be my first task.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
I'm a bit surprised why the web browser isnt the first on the list of the developers here at MR.
If i'd knew how to code, that would be my first task.
You missed it; I believe there is one compiled. And you can browse with the original, adding some javascript starting page and allowing for frames.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
First of all I can not see a mention in the Wiki of the web browser:

Contents [hide]
1 GnuChess
2 x48
3 Developer Uploads
4 idjvu
5 Ipdf 4 [not compatible with 2.8]
6 Ipdf 5 [not compatible with 2.8]
7 JavaVM
8 Mrxt

Secondly I don't know how to install it (Yokos please any help?)

Thirdly I don't know whether it is stable or not and I don't want to experiment with it.
I would like to see a Web browser that is stable, easy to install, can be used in both landscape and portrait mode, have a readable font size, not too difficult to use with the stylus and continuously supported like ipdf by Scotty.

If I get too desperate I will try install dillo somehow, but to tell you the truth I could not even open it under Winzip, and unfortunately I have only Windows at the moment.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Hi Mambo,

If you have the shell hack from iRex, you can run dillo easily - you just need to decompress the dillo archive to a folder then copy the folder to your iLiad.
There are some excellent free archiving software packages for Windows which will do this for you - I'm using 7-zip, and I recommend it.

Once you've got dillo on your iLiad, you just need to make sure that you have a network connection running.
Create a start script called, say, startwireless.sh like this, putting in your own SSID and WEP key (from Antartica's example above - fixed a typo):
Code:
#!/bin/
ssid="my_ssid" 
wep_key="0102030405060708090a0b0c0d" 
/usr/bin/wireless.sh start $ssid enc $wep_key
And a stop script to turn off the wireless connection once you've finished browsing, eg. stopwireless.sh:
Code:
/usr/bin/wireless.sh stop

To start dillo, just go to the dillo folder and click on "run.sh".

I think there's very little danger of dillo doing any damage to your iLiad.

Last edited by emkay; 12-17-2006 at 08:53 AM.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
If I get too desperate I will try install dillo somehow, but to tell you the truth I could not even open it under Winzip, and unfortunately I have only Windows at the moment.
I don't know too much about WinZip but there are some freeware programs for Windoze XP out there with GUI interfaces that will allow you to open up a lot of different compression formats. TugZip, 7zip, and Izarc are just a few. Just Google any of them and you will get lots-o-links!

Good Luck!

Where can we source the dillo file to be used on the iLiad?
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:58 AM   #11
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
I don't know too much about WinZip but there are some freeware programs for Windoze XP out there with GUI interfaces that will allow you to open up a lot of different compression formats. TugZip, 7zip, and Izarc are just a few. Just Google any of them and you will get lots-o-links!

Good Luck!

Where can we source the dillo file to be used on the iLiad?
Ehem. Did anyone actually test the dillo web browser using os vr 2.8? I get some linkage errors when I try to run it. The same goes for the MP3-player, madplay, which simple crashes with "bad instruction" or something like that. Perhaps one of the developers can have a look at it? Perhaps a recompile with the new toolchain will fix it.

If I get a working dillo and/or madplay binary, I can package it and update the wiki pages.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:06 AM   #12
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
They work for me.

Although Dillo is constantly refreshing the screen during typing in of a web address.
And opening and closing of network access should be included in the executable :-)

Last edited by henkvdg; 12-17-2006 at 04:08 AM.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
I've updated the version in the repositopry to 0.5. Now it has a reasonable font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_dillo_startup.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	902.9 KB
ID:	2460   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_dillo_mobileread.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	872.5 KB
ID:	2461  
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #14
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
I think these two pictures are invaluable. They show why the iLiad is justified to be more expensive than the Sony Reader, or at least they suggest that the users of Sony should try to get a wifi card working on it :-D
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #15
El Chupacabra
Enthusiast
El Chupacabra began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Nokia 6630
It's strange I've downloaded http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad..._iliad-0.5.zip and while trying to run it on 2.8 it complains about not finding libgtk-1.2.so.0.
Am I doing something blatantly wrong?
El Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote