Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
stevejay
Enthusiast
stevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500 prs
A little help and direction...

Hi I am new here.

What are your favorite sites to find uncopyrighted Fiction and other public domain works? Can you direct me to the thread that would inform me? Right now it's this site and Project Gutenberg for me- any others that are winners for selection of free downloads?

I have the Sony 500 so formats which will be clear and comfortable to read or of some priority as well. What good is great selection it it's barely legible?

I have lists now, but really want member recommendations. I might just stay here and download works for my Sony which will arrive soon...Yes I could just search, but a few answers may save me bundles of time which could be spent reading

Thanks, and sorry for this NEWBIE post.

For instance, the Sci-Fi here was ok, but it would be wonderful to find some more uncopyrighted anthologies etc... I did see the Harrison one someone posted, cool stuff...
Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I've just started poking around in here, so my navigation will improve. And why am I speaking in sentence fragments? In any event I hope the natives here are friendly, and I am happy to have found this site. To simplify things, maybe I'll just read the public domain things right here, couldn't go too wrong?

ps- hi

Last edited by stevejay; 02-18-2009 at 01:18 AM.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
The natives ARE friendly! Sorry I don't have an answer for you about more freebies, but welcome to Mobile Read and watch out - this place is addictive!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
stevejay
Enthusiast

Thanks Shel. I guess when I get the Sony in a day or so, the downloadable formats and the preferred downloadable formats for this device will be clearer.

I see:

Formats
Mobipocket (MOBI)
Sony BBeB (LRF)
ePub (EPUB)
eBookwise (IMP)
Miscellaneous

So does this mean if I have the SONY, I should always filter by device? Or is it the preferred filter for this device? And why am I so dumb lol.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
stevejay:

For books elsewhere, did visit Baen's website yet? Lots of free and reasonably priced SciFi there. Of course FeedBooks and Project Gutenberg are good source for older books now in the public domain all worth a read/re-read. I found almost all the H. Beam Piper stuff on PG, I forget if FB had them as well or each had a few. Also found the whole Barsoom Series by Edgar Rice Burroughs on one of those two sites. I think you can also find them here.

To help manage content format look at the Calibre forum to find a nice bit of software to manage your library, transfer books to your reader and change the format. In fact that whole E-Book Software Section will help as you will eventually want to try different formats or need to change the format of a book to your preferred format.

Sounds like you are on your way though...but know that for pretty much any non-drm ebook, there is a program to convert it to something your Sony can handle. So, I would look for titles then follow the suggestions from one of the ebook software forums here on MR.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
stevejay
Enthusiast

Thank you- I believe this site is very useful, and I may recommend it to others I meet who show interest in these devices. To many of you here, it is all yesterday's news, but you might be surprised how many avid readers would be enticed by such devices.

There seems to be a small technology learning curve, but I will dig into the e-book software selection later- it would help to have the device in hand, I'm currently waiting for my friendly mailman. USPS is great, they bring me nice things.
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
definitely check the free ebooks on this site, as you've found ; some formats can be converted to the sony format using calibre. also, keep an eye on the "deals, freebies and ressources" forum ; publishers and bookstores often have special offers which you can hear about there, as well as authors making their work available directly.

and don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions ; i confirm, the natives *are* friendly.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, and of course there is feedbooks.com for thousands of very well formatted free books, including some recent ones released under a CC licence.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Many of the books here came from the Gutenberg Project which is a source of books that are out of copyright. The ones here have been formated for specific readers by members but there are many others there in TXT or HTML formats. If you reformat any from there that are not here, you should upload them here for others to enjoy.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
stevejay
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Many of the books here came from the Gutenberg Project which is a source of books that are out of copyright. The ones here have been formated for specific readers by members but there are many others there in TXT or HTML formats. If you reformat any from there that are not here, you should upload them here for others to enjoy.
Will do- If I like something not posted in this forum I'll share the reformatted eBook.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I moved this thread to Deals, Freebies and Resources, since it fits better there.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
http://manybooks.net/ - currently 23,066 ebooks, mostly classics but not all, in these formats: app, azw, pdf, custom pdf, prc, mobi, pdb, isilo, ztxt, lrf, html, rtf, tcr, jar, epub, iphone bookmarklet, newton, ipod notes, custom html, lit, fb2, online reader. All free.

http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com/ - listing links mostly to modern novel-length fiction. Various formats, depends on the provider. Book descriptions included. All free.

Last edited by cmbs; 02-19-2009 at 04:08 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejay View Post
So does this mean if I have the SONY, I should always filter by device? Or is it the preferred filter for this device?
I don't think anyone answered this part of your question. Of the books in the MobileRead library, the Sony 500 can only read books in BBeB (.lrf) and PDF formats. The Sony 505 and 700 also support the ePub format. You're lucky that our library contains many more books in .lrf format than any other format. If you should run across a book in a format other than .lrf that you want to read on your Sony reader, Calibre provides format shifting capabilities for MobiPocket to BBeB, MS Reader (.lit) to BBeB, and ePub to BBeb.

At Baen, their free (not copyright-free, just no-charge) books come in the Sony BBeB/.lrf format. Feedbooks produces PDF files formatted for the screen size of the Sony 500 or ePub files. ManyBooks uses an automated process to create some dozen formats (including .lrf) from a single source file. Munsey's (http://munseys.com/ ) is a good source for pulp fiction -- and available in many formats including .lrf.

For not-free books, you might check out Fictionwise and Books-on-Board as alternatives to the Sony Store. Baen's WebScription site sells additional SF and Fantasy titles, and I think all of them are available in the Sony BBeB format. Fictionwise has some titles available as multi-format including the BBeB format. I don't know what Books-on-Board offers for the Sony reader as I haven't shopped there myself.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
stevejay
Enthusiast

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

Thanks all for help- the above link is also very good! I'm hoping to get my eBook reader tonight or the morning, I'm anxious to get started! Two of my favorite things, reading and playing with electronic gadgets.

Last edited by stevejay; 02-19-2009 at 05:27 PM.