Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
punkadiddle
punkadiddle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Question Editing metadata in the cover grid / templates

I just started to use the cover grid to browse a library books and I was wondering if there's any way of quickly editing some of the metadata.

Is it possible to display the list view synchronized next to the cover grid to use it as editor? I have a pretty wide screen ;-)

I manage my photos using Adobe Lightroom. There's a photo grid and I can use the keys 0-5 to set a picture rating, X to mark a picture as discarded and another key to mark a picture as good etc. It's very simple and efficient. With the custom fields in calibre an equivalent could be metadata templates plus custom shortcuts.
Is there any way to accomplish quick editing (especially in the grid view)?

I know I can create an ad-hoc collection of books by using markers. But there's just a single type of marker.

Last edited by punkadiddle; 11-16-2014 at 01:39 PM.
punkadiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkadiddle View Post
I just started to use the cover grid to browse a library books and I was wondering if there's any way of quickly editing some of the metadata.

Is it possible to display the list view synchronized next to the cover grid to use it as editor? I have a pretty wide screen ;-)

I manage my photos using Adobe Lightroom. There's a photo grid and I can use the keys 0-5 to set a picture rating, X to mark a picture as discarded and another key to mark a picture as good etc. It's very simple and efficient. With the custom fields in calibre an equivalent could be metadata templates plus custom shortcuts.

I know I can create an ad-hoc collection of books by using markers. But there's just a single type of marker.
The full Metadata Editor is available for the selected with the tap of the 'E' key

Or

The entire (user configurable) Context Menu with a right-click
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

@punkadiddle - to answer you basic question - is their a view that combines list view with grid view; The answer is no.

However you can display the books in a resizeable carousel above the list, via shift/alt/b or click the shortcut arrowy thing at bottom right, next to luggage tag. I mention it because it gives you sight of the adjacent book covers, which is essentially what the grid view does.

The cells in the book list can be edited directly - highlight cell and press F2, for star rating enter 1-5, text fields like tags, author name, publisher will provide a look ahead list that shortens as you type. You can tab between cells and remain in Edit mode, and you can order cells to suit your editing sequence by dragging the column headers to where they're most convenient.

In grid view (and list view) you can see 'everything there is' for the current book in a floating window by pressing the 'i' on your keyboard.

IMO, and as a fellow LR user, I see managing images as being entirely different to managing books. Many people can and do create hundreds of images a day, whereas very few people will ever write a single book let alone hundreds.

And whilst I can assess an image by looking at it and doing side-by-side comparisons etc, I can't make a similar assessment of a book by looking at its cover - or maybe some folks do - Dear Mr. Bezos, please send three metres (gigabytes) of books with red covers

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-16-2014 at 04:37 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
punkadiddle
punkadiddle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
IMO, and as a fellow LR user, I see managing images as being entirely different to managing books. Many people can and do create hundreds of images a day, whereas very few people will ever write a single book let alone hundreds
You're right it's different. But still would be fast. I have a custom column with a to read order of 1-3. Now I can open my to-read list in the cover grid + detail view with the excerpt and would want to assign 1 2 or 3 to about 15 books.

While books shouldn't be judged only by their cover it's often quite easy to spot categories. For example, my mother reads these historical novels... easy to pick by the cover. And intentionally so because once upon a time they had those printed on paper and placed them on shelves in shops. Non-goodreads people came to look at them . Long-time ago...
punkadiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You're right it's different. But still would be fast. I have a custom column with a to read order of 1-3. Now I can open my to-read list in the cover grid + detail view with the excerpt and would want to assign 1 2 or 3 to about 15 books.

While books shouldn't be judged only by their cover it's often quite easy to spot categories. For example, my mother reads these historical novels... easy to pick by the cover. And intentionally so because once upon a time they had those printed on paper and placed them on shelves in shops. Non-goodreads people came to look at them . Long-time ago...
If you select the 10-15 book covers you want to have the same ReadOrder value, and then press 'E' the Bulk Metadata Edit window will pop.

If the books are scattered within the grid, then you could Mark each book, and when you've done Marking select Show marked books, select all, press 'E' for Bulk Metadata Edit. Then select Clear all marked books.

I still buy more dead-tree books from book shops than I buy e-books. Ebooks deny one the frisson of pleasure one gets from stumbling on something interesting when picking through piles of remaindered or second-hand books.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
cover grid, metadata