Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you getting a Kindle Fire HDX?
Yes, I've already got mine! 10 18.87%
Yes, I've already ordered one! 4 7.55%
Yes, I am planning on buying one. 5 9.43%
No, I am not interested in the Kindle Fire HDX at all. 28 52.83%
I'm undecided at the moment. 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
In this forum it seems there is a lot less buzz and interest in the new Fires and Paperwhite than there has ever been as far back as I can remember. Perhaps people are mostly satisfied with last year's models and don't see the benefit of paying for upgrades. But I first noticed this lack of interest in the Paperwhite threads. It seems like the lack of interest is much greater here in the Fire threads than in the Paperwhite threads. As far me, I bought the PW2 but have no interest in the Fire HDX 7". I've tried the Fire app as well as Kindle for Android and much prefer the Kindle for iOS app.
I can't even get the Kindle app for Android to run! I think my Archive is too big. It's like 6000 books last I checked. It just freezes on me.

One thing I love about the HDX is the ability to hide the Carousel.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #17
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
There wasn't much fanfare and I guess people don't think its that big an upgrade, similar to PW1 --> PW2.

To me though, its a significant upgrade. I like the hardware much better, its lighter, the buttons are much better placed and the entire thing is much faster. On the old one, if I swiped the carousel it would stutter a few times as it went through. The HDX is very smooth.

Added bonus: being able to download Prime videos for offline viewing!!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
There wasn't much fanfare and I guess people don't think its that big an upgrade, similar to PW1 --> PW2.

To me though, its a significant upgrade. I like the hardware much better, its lighter, the buttons are much better placed and the entire thing is much faster. On the old one, if I swiped the carousel it would stutter a few times as it went through. The HDX is very smooth.

Added bonus: being able to download Prime videos for offline viewing!!
I have to say the HDX is one of the nicest tablets I have played with. I love the form factor and I love my Poetic case. I hated the Origami case! That has to be the worst idea for a case ever! It takes away the beauty of how light and thin the tablet is.

I still need to get a good sleeve for it to travel in though. Neither cases do much for protection and with the HDX being super thin it needs alot more protection than most tablets.

I upgraded from the original Kindle Fire so you can image how big of an upgrade this is for me!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
6,000 books???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I can't even get the Kindle app for Android to run! I think my Archive is too big. It's like 6000 books last I checked. It just freezes on me.

One thing I love about the HDX is the ability to hide the Carousel.
The average price I pay Amazon for my history and biography eBooks is about $ 10. That means your eBook collection is worth $ 60,000. Wow, you must be very literate.

I don't think I have read anywhere near that many books in my entire life ! Each of my books numbers from 600 to 1,000 pages. I doubt I read more than 6 per year. I'm carrying 46 eBooks in the Amazon Cloud now with about 30 on my HDX. I keep only about 6 eBooks on my Home Screen of which 4 are Bible related.

I am using 3.83 Gb of storage on my HDX and have 21.85 Gb free. Music occupies 1.66 Gb, Applications occupy 167.32 Mb and books occupy 104.05 Mb. I purchased the 32 Gb model.

Go to Settings / Device / Storage to see your numbers.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The average price I pay Amazon for my history and biography eBooks is about $ 10. That means your eBook collection is worth $ 60,000. Wow, you must be very literate.

I don't think I have read anywhere near that many books in my entire life ! Each of my books numbers from 600 to 1,000 pages. I doubt I read more than 6 per year. I'm carrying 46 eBooks in the Amazon Cloud now with about 30 on my HDX.
It's all Fiction so anywhere from $0.99 to $10.00 but most of them I got for free! I am a frugal book shopper. Most are 250 to 300 page novels. I read about 100 books a year if I have time. This year I don't think I am going to make it. I'm around 58 books last I checked. Too much has happened in Real Life to give me time to read.

That isn't all my books though that would total over 10,000
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Did you buy them all from Amazon?

Quote:
It's all Fiction so anywhere from $0.99 to $10.00 but most of them I got for free! I am a frugal book shopper. Most are 250 to 300 page novels. I read about 100 books a year if I have time. This year I don't think I am going to make it. I'm around 58 books last I checked. Too much has happened in Real Life to give me time to read.

That isn't all my books though that would total over 10,000
Did you buy all of them from Amazon? You must be a great customer for them. Don't forget to go to Settings / Device / Storage to see your numbers.

You said you only got the 16 Gb model. I have a hunch you are almost maxed out.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Did you buy all of them from Amazon? You must be a great customer for them. Don't forget to go to Settings / Device / Storage to see your numbers.

You said you only got the 16 Gb model. I have a hunch you are almost maxed out.
I don't keep the actually books on the Fire. I only have a handful on there. They are in the Cloud or on my Drive in Calibre.

I buy from Amazon, Kobo and other stores. I always buy from the store that has the lowest price.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Quote:
Did you a buy a Kindle Fire HDX yet?

I'm not much on polls but C'mon so far only 4 people have posted about their HDX. So do you have one or are you planning to get one? Have you order one and waiting for it?

You lurkers can vote on the poll to let me not feel so alone!
I'm happy with what I have. I imagine I will upgrade eventually but not this time around.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm going to wait until at least the November updates are in hand, but at this point I don't think I'll be getting an HDX.

I prefer a more neutral tablet experience rather than one that is focussed on media consumption (specifically Amazon's). That's despite the fact that I don't consume much media from anyone else.

For one thing, I want easier access to apps and services that Amazon does not allow Fire users to partake of, even though they are listed in the Appstore (Dropbox, Mantano Reader, alternate browsers). I realize it is not difficult to side load these (and many more) things, having been through this with my (little used) 1st gen Fire, but I don't like having to do it because of Amazon's arbitrary (and unstated) policy.

Without any physical 'output ports' (HDMI or USB host) it's not as flexible as other tablets. Has anyone here actually used the Miracast feature? The 'fling' feature requires a compatible device, and I don't have plans to get any of the ones listed. Meanwhile Nexus7 and iPads have both wireless and wired options.

aGPS is on the 4G model but without mapping software (almost for sure there's nothing very good available in Appstore) what good is it? Most iOS and midrange Android devices have this as a matter of course.

The HDX has some great core features and specs but I think a Nexus7 or iPad probably are a better match to my desire for a more open ended and flexible tablet experience.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
aGPS is on the 4G model but without mapping software (almost for sure there's nothing very good available in Appstore) what good is it? Most iOS and midrange Android devices have this as a matter of course.
You do realize that GPS is only available on 4G iPads and that it will cost you an additional $130? (Amazon charges an extra $100). By contrast, most Android tablets include it in their base models.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You do realize that GPS is only available on 4G iPads and that it will cost you an additional $130? (Amazon charges an extra $100). By contrast, most Android tablets include it in their base models.
Thanks for the correction.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm going to wait until at least the November updates are in hand, but at this point I don't think I'll be getting an HDX.

I prefer a more neutral tablet experience rather than one that is focussed on media consumption (specifically Amazon's). That's despite the fact that I don't consume much media from anyone else.

For one thing, I want easier access to apps and services that Amazon does not allow Fire users to partake of, even though they are listed in the Appstore (Dropbox, Mantano Reader, alternate browsers). I realize it is not difficult to side load these (and many more) things, having been through this with my (little used) 1st gen Fire, but I don't like having to do it because of Amazon's arbitrary (and unstated) policy.

Without any physical 'output ports' (HDMI or USB host) it's not as flexible as other tablets. Has anyone here actually used the Miracast feature? The 'fling' feature requires a compatible device, and I don't have plans to get any of the ones listed. Meanwhile Nexus7 and iPads have both wireless and wired options.

The HDX has some great core features and specs but I think a Nexus7 or iPad probably are a better match to my desire for a more open ended and flexible tablet experience.
Precisely why I went with a Nexus 7.2. I won't use it for media much, I've got an iPad for media and a Paperwhite 2 for reading. But I do need the USB host feature so I can hook it up to my Canon 60D dSLR.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'll consider getting an HDX 7 when it goes on clearance. It's not worth paying retail.
That's exactly what I might do, next year. The reduced size and weight appeal greatly to me.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #29
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
They look great for a decent price. It's mostly a content issue with me - Canadians can't buy movies or tv from Amazon. Maybe it's the same for other non-US members.

Having invested in iTunes video content on an iPad, it makes sense to stay with apple - just as I stick with a kindle for books.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Do you guys think that the new iPad mini and iPad air release will affect Kindle Fire sales numbers?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote