Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
brauckmiller
Edge User

Why is there a SIM card slot?

I'm still confused on this one. Back in January when I talked to Entourage, they said that only second gen units with have SIM slots that could be used with cell phone carriers.

My question is then, why do the current first gen units have a SIM slot? Is the slot there, but not a radio? Seems like its a waste of money for Entourage to do this even if it is only a buck for the slot on a bulk order...it adds up.

Borisb...any ideas?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
dcubed2
Edge User

I'm not Boris, but I read that there might be other things that can use the SIM slot - just not 3G in the first run. Maybe a GPS card or something like that? I'm not sure, I didn't read any details.

Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
sarah11918
Edge User

I was thinking the same thing, Boris. It's probably easier and cheaper not to have to change the production, since a lot of production costs are "start up" costs, are they not? I heard something to that effect when people were wondering why not convert some of the struggling auto factories to make say solar panels, and the response was basically it would be cheaper to build an entire new factory than to convert. So, I just assumed the same would be true on a smaller scale - changes are more expensive than getting it set up and sticking to it.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
mgm1979
Edge User

it will be interesting to see how the 3G is implemented, when it comes to that point, for all of us "early adopters" - obviously a data plan would be necessary...(is it an add-on, or included, with the Kindle?)

Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
dcubed2
Edge User

The Kindle wireless is free, included with your Kindle. Amazon can make this a fee at a later date, but I don't think it will. Web browsing is very limited outside the Kindle store, so offering the free wireless means they get more sales. The eDGe offers a much more robust web browsing experience, so it won't be free - after all enTourage isn't going to be making the money on book sales that Amazon does :-)

Since Amazon switched to AT&T for the International version, I've heard the coverage isn't as good as it was with Sprint(?)though it works internationally. We'll see who enTourage contracts with or if it'll be an unlocked 3G SIM.

Advert