Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Oasis won't download personal docs

I have a Kindle Oasis that won't download personal documents from the cloud. Amazon bought books will, though. I've tried restarting, and factory restoring the device, but it didn't change anything. Sometimes the document I'm trying to download will say "download complete," but it will never appear among the downloaded files. Is there a solution to my problem?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I have a Kindle Oasis that won't download personal documents from the cloud. Amazon bought books will, though. I've tried restarting, and factory restoring the device, but it didn't change anything. Sometimes the document I'm trying to download will say "download complete," but it will never appear among the downloaded files. Is there a solution to my problem?
How did these documents get on/in the cloud?
Did you use the 'e-mail to Kindle' service?

= = = =

We don't have much information on this device (yet).
You may have to contact Amazon Customer Service on this one.
Let us know what they say (maybe they don't support personal documents on their cloud any longer).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
How did these documents get on/in the cloud?
Did you use the 'e-mail to Kindle' service?

= = = =

We don't have much information on this device (yet).
You may have to contact Amazon Customer Service on this one.
Let us know what they say (maybe they don't support personal documents on their cloud any longer).
Personal docs in the cloud are definitely supported. I just finished reading one today, and downloaded a new one to start right afterwards.

To address the OP's question, are you sure that you have the Kindle set to show "All Items" instead of just "Books"?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's definitely set to show all items, because I uploaded some personal documents through USB and they showed up. As far as how I uploaded these documents to the cloud, some of them were sent by sending to the kindle email, others through the send to kindle program. I tried contacting Amazon, and they weren't able to help. Today I started trying to download personal documents again and I was able to download quite a few, but after I downloaded a collection it seemed like it caused them to stop again, and I'm not sure why.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
It's definitely set to show all items, because I uploaded some personal documents through USB and they showed up. As far as how I uploaded these documents to the cloud, some of them were sent by sending to the kindle email, others through the send to kindle program. I tried contacting Amazon, and they weren't able to help. Today I started trying to download personal documents again and I was able to download quite a few, but after I downloaded a collection it seemed like it caused them to stop again, and I'm not sure why.
This may sound like a stupid question, but the personal documents aren't *in* the collection, are they?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
sneakyspider

Yes, they were but I'm starting to realize that it doesn't have anything to do with the collections. The docs won't download, but I've noticed that sometimes when I hook the kindle up to the computer, I will see a folder with the name of the doc I was trying to download, and inside that will contain a file with the extension ".ebook." The file never shows up on the device itself, though. Also, I never have any issues downloading a personal doc to a kindle fire no matter the docs age.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@sneakyspider:
This forum is mostly used by people desiring to make quick progress on solving their problems.

If you can only visit here once every three weeks, let us know now.
That way we can use our time to help other people with their problems until you return.

Some people have recently objected to our rapid response as placing an unreasonable demand on the questioner.
Please let us know if that is the situation you find yourself in.

(We can slow-play answers as well as any paid-support contract firm can. )
Old 05-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
sneakyspider

I'm sorry. I've only been "away" recently because I'm trying to work out the issue with Amazon, and they haven't been of much help. I keep having to write back to them. I didn't mean to be away so long, but my problem doesn't appear to have a quick fix.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I'm sorry. I've only been "away" recently because I'm trying to work out the issue with Amazon, and they haven't been of much help. I keep having to write back to them. I didn't mean to be away so long, but my problem doesn't appear to have a quick fix.
Thanks for letting us know.

Since very little information has been posted here on the Oasis - -
Let's start at the start -
What firmware version is your device running?

And since Oasis isn't (yet) in our chart (and KindleTool):
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Would you give us that information please.
(first six characters of serial number, country of purchase, Wifi?, 3G?)

Then try to catch us up a bit -
What things has Amazon had you try (and fail) as the solution?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
sneakyspider

1. I think it's on the latest firmware, 5.7.4.

2. First six characters are: G0B0 GC

Country of purchase is U.S.

The device is wifi enabled only.

3. As far as what Amazon has had me do to try to fix the problem, they've asked a bunch of questions first, had me send docs by the manage my content page, through email, and had me try downloading from the device itself. We established that my oldest document wouldn't download - it was from 2012, but the newest would, although I haven't yet established how recent a document must be for me to be able to download it. Amazon has had me restart it, deregister it and then restart, and checked that my account was set to enable doc archiving, which it was. I have found through personal investigation that the problem applies to all of my e ink kindles, but not the kindle fires, and that it happens whether I use 3G or wifi. I don't know at exactly what date the problem started, but it is a very recent problem, and it wasn't this way at the beginning of the year.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

How many of your Kindles are registered?

Can a document uploaded by #7 be downloaded by #70?
Can a document uploaded by #70 be downloaded by #7?
(Or similar sort of test - an 'older' and a 'newer' on either the upload or download side - I.E: 2 tests).
Old 05-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
sneakyspider

Almost all are registered, except a few. A document "uploaded" (I assume you mean sent to a particular kindles email?), can be downloaded on any device. I haven't tried every single kindle, but I have tested a kindle belonging to each separate model I have. (I have several KT2, but I haven't tested each one.)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
A document "uploaded" (I assume you mean sent to a particular kindles email?), can be downloaded on any device.
- - - -
So what is the problem again?

- - - -

Or are you not including the Oasis in: "any device" ?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #14
sneakyspider

Sorry I was being unclear. The problem is that the older documents I have will not download on any e ink device, Oasis included, however any documents sent to the cloud within recent months will download on any device. I'm trying to return the ability to download older docs.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sorry I was being unclear. The problem is that the older documents I have will not download on any e ink device, Oasis included, however any documents sent to the cloud within recent months will download on any device. I'm trying to return the ability to download older docs.
Now that is a different problem.

No other difference in how the documents got unto the cloud?
Only age?