Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
0.4.902 (0.5 beta) Avaliable

The first beta for 0.5 (0.4.902) is now available.

There are a few new features I’m most interested in getting feedback on. Inline spell check, translations, and the new PCRE engine. Of course crashes and major issues will be looked into and hopefully fixed before the final release.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Awesome! Looking nice so far - loaded my largest epub, a few minutes of load time and it's usable, memory use ok and saving fine.

The spell checker, there's no option to actually disable it. Selecting 'None' as the dict seems to still use an empty dictionary, after restarting with 'None' selected, it defaulted to the German (first item) on the next launch. I think a button in the checking toolbar to toggle spellcheck might also be handy. I also didn't expect it to be used only in the code view, not that it's a huge problem, but it'd have thought it would be the book view (some people might not find it).

The spell check does not seem to deal with 'fancy' quotation marks, it will happily correct them to the boring version should you wish. I'm sure that could be fixed in the dict directly, but seems a bit odd (seems it might be a limitation of hspell tho).

The toolbar with validation/tidy... is called "Quick Settings", tho the menu is "Tools", seems a bit odd to call them settings.

The view mode does not apply for the session, swapping to an unopened file will default to the active view mode (i.e code view if I am active in the code panel of a split view). Tho I think this is nothing new, it's always seemed a bit odd that it doesn't just use the same layout.

Anyhoo, bed time. :/
Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Ubuntu 11.04
clicked Help Sigil Blog
Code:
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox-8.0/libxpcom.so:
libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi -
Looks nice, fast working, got a bit confused for about 5 minutes by the new layout of the menus.

I have only tried it on a couple of my old books, and so far only have one wish/question: How do you add a spell checking dictionary (without recompiling Sigil)? I intend to use the danish dictionary files provided with LibreOffice.

Regards,
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Some questions. Plugin support will be there as of version 0.6, right?

How can we add spell-checking languages, what is the format? If we create dictionaries, will you add them as additional downloads on the site?

Another question, words not in the dictionary are red underlined. Would it be possible to add a word to a custom dictionary with a right-click option and to have multiple custom dictionaries? This would be easy for series and so on.

edit: I managed to add the dutch spelling files. The location of the spelling files is perhaps not a handy place on Windows.

Last edited by Toxaris; 12-13-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found an issue, probably related to encoding. The dutch word "ideeën" (ideas) is underlined with the dutch spelling. The suggestion is to transform it to: "ideeën". This is of course incorrect. So, it looks like it can't handle special characters too well... I also checked with other words with accents.
If I put the word in the custom dictionary, it is counted as correct. However, it looks like the words in the custom dictionary are not considered as alternative spellings.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Nice to see the find/replace dockable now. Since some of my find/replace strings were very long the window was double the width of my screen and could not be shrunk, making it hard to work with (Ubuntu 11.04). Is it possible to limit the width of the strings and scroll within the text boxes to prevent this? Some tooltips on the next/previous/Count/All items might be useful - and the down arrow for close is inconsistent with the x used for say the book browser (although maybe you are planning to change this to add both the dock/undock and close buttons). The book browser window on the left could not be resized horizontally when the find/replace window was open - but that could be the sizing issue.

Searching with find then switching book view/code view seems to be working better, though I've noticed that the cursor is only put at the beginning of a line instead of in the word that you were in on the other view. Is it possible to jump directly to the same word? (At some point I have to figure out why highlighting something in my code view ends up making it white text on white almost always but its ok in book view. Its probably a setting of mine since I haven't seen anyone complain about it before)

Is there a way to list all spelling mistakes like the flight crew validation window - otherwise you only see errors if you scroll through the whole book. For spellchecking I was originally looking for a button/menu item to run it and then saw above that its run automatically. Of course, you did say this is an inline spell checker
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Adding dictionary

Found out how to add spelling dictionaries:

Locate a free dictionary in MySpell-format (same format as used by OpenOffice/LibreOffice and others) - you need the .dic and the .aff files.

Copy the files to

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Strahinja Markovic\Sigil\dictionaries\

Close Sigil and reopen it. Now you should be able to select your new dictionary.

As Toxaris pointed out, the spellchecker marks all words containing accents (and our danish specialities ÆØÅæøå) as misspelled, even if they exists in the dictionary. epub being UTF, this shouldn't be necessary (most of the common accented/special characters are found in the higher ASCII anyway).

Also, it would be nice with configurable user-dictionaries, or at least a different one per language, and to do the spell-checking in any of the views.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
In preferences, spell check, there is a button at the bottom that says, "Open user dictionary location." As noted the dictionaries are hunspell/myspell and most dictionaries from Open Office will work with it.

I'll look into the Danish issue. @Toxaris is it possible for you to provide me with a sample ePub (just a few correctly spelled words that are mismarked) and the dictionary files you're using? Also, what OS are you using? When I tested with accented characters for German and Spanish on OS X I didn't run into this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme
Since some of my find/replace strings were very long the window was double the width of my screen and could not be shrunk,
I'll look into a work around for this.

Quote:
Some tooltips on the next/previous/Count/All items might be useful - and the down arrow for close is inconsistent with the x used for say the book browser
It's a down arrow because search and replace is not dockable. It's a permanent widget that takes up that are. I can change it to an X for consistency though. It's only a down arrow because I was lazy and a down arrow is a standard button but an X is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks
clicked Help Sigil Blog...
Interesting. Are you having any other issues with Firefox? That error is very much a Firefox error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine
The toolbar with validation/tidy... is called "Quick Settings", tho the menu is "Tools", seems a bit odd to call them settings.
This was missed when going through and making the menus and menu items constant. The idea is to get rid of "Tools" because it doesn't tell you anything about what is there. Renaming to Quick Settings is the easiest fix so far.

Quote:
The spell checker, there's no option to actually disable it. Selecting 'None' as the dict seems to still use an empty dictionary, after restarting with 'None' selected, it defaulted to the German (first item) on the next launch.
None should disable it. At least to the point that you dont' see any red underlined words. I'll take care of it saving the None choice after restarting.

Quote:
The spell check does not seem to deal with 'fancy' quotation marks, it will happily correct them to the boring version should you wish. I'm sure that could be fixed in the dict directly, but seems a bit odd (seems it might be a limitation of hspell tho).
This is a limitation of hunspell. Most dictionaries only include the ascii quote version. I could introduce a work around where fancy punctuation is converted to ascii (internally) before sending to hunspell for checking. That should fix this issue.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
When using Find/Replace's Count button (nice addition btw)
- your results message says "20 matche(s) were found." when it probably should be "20 match(es) were found.". (although it'd be even nicer if it were 1 match found, 0/>1 matches found )
- The results of Count depend on whether your cursor is in book view or code view if you select All HTML files. If you can only Count in the current file when in book view regardless of whether Current File or All HTML Files is selected, maybe update the results message to add "in current file" or "in all files" so its clear.
- if you highlight a word and then use ctrl-f to search, the highlighted word is put into the box, but then when you hit Return the search word changes to the last text you actually manually typed into the search box. Type a search word in the box and search for it, then highlight another word then ctrl-f and hit Return and you'll see it goes back to the first word. If you hightlight a word, ctrl-f and then use the Arrow it finds it, although if you highlight ctrl-f Return then the word changes to what you last typed not what as last searched (although of course it shouldn't change at all).
- The search appears to be case sensitive. Obviously using regex allows you to control this, but wasn't there a button to allow case sensitive/insensitive before for those that didn't want to work with regex?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Dos this update include the zoom all feature?

Regards - John
Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That only happened with Ubuntu's (they mess/brand with everything) Firefox.

In XP all is good with FF
Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
A bit more playing around, PCRE seems to result in crashes when using named groups in replacement:
Code:
Find    : (?P<lead>\s*)(?:\s?\.){2,3}(?P<trail>\s?)(?![\/\\])
Replace : \g<lead>...\g<trail> // crash
Replace : \1...\2 // works
When saving a copy to a removable volume, if you unmount the volume and try to save, Sigil crashes (you now get an error message )

Edit :
The Find/Replace area: I'm not too sure that the count/status should be reported in the status bar, while it's ok once you figure that out, it seems like a pretty unintuitive choice (I'm not saying modal boxes are any good either, but perhaps a lable next to the mode etc, maybe bold). The close? button is also a down arrow, shouldnt that rather just be a traditional X looking icon?

Last edited by Serpentine; 12-13-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

Sure, no problem. I will create a ticket with an sample attached for it.

Done, issue 1127.

Quick question, which version of Hunspell do you use? The dictionary file apparently need at least 1.3.1. The encoding of the files is UTF-8 without BOM according to Notepad++

Last edited by Toxaris; 12-13-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Quote:
Since some of my find/replace strings were very long the window was double the width of my screen and could not be shrunk,
I'll look into a work around for this.
This seems to work (nicked from kate/kwrite source code):
Code:
$ diff -u src/Sigil/Form_Files/FindReplace.ui src/Sigil/Form_Files/FindReplace.ui.new 
--- src/Sigil/Form_Files/FindReplace.ui 2011-09-20 13:27:49.155652695 +0200
+++ src/Sigil/Form_Files/FindReplace.ui.new     2011-12-13 19:47:07.884815448 +0200
@@ -58,6 +58,9 @@
           <property name="editable">
            <bool>true</bool>
           </property>
+          <property name="sizeAdjustPolicy">
+           <enum>QComboBox::AdjustToMinimumContentsLengthWithIcon</enum>
+          </property>
          </widget>
         </item>
         <item row="0" column="2">
@@ -102,6 +105,9 @@
           <property name="editable">