Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Amazon:“The iPad has made more people aware of e-readers"

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...says-amazon.do

Quote:
Brian McBride, managing director of Amazon in the UK, said: “The iPad has made more people aware of e-readers. We're selling more Kindles, which means we're selling more Kindle books.

"Even when people buy iPads, they are downloading the Kindle app in pretty significant numbers.
A rising tide lifts all boats, it seems.

iBooks is currently #4, Kindle is #16 for free apps.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
if kindle allowed me to sideload epub (and maybe pdf) files i'd ditch ibooks in a second. same if ibooks could magically import mobi files (which will never happen).

we'll never have a single reader app that handles it all, but that's ok as long as i can load additional reader apps.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I am glad for both Amazon and Apple. They are two innovative companies that have products and services consumers want and use. Pretty much the secret of any successful business.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I find it very hard to believe that iPad customers were not already aware of eBook readers.

I can believe that some people are reading eBooks for the first time on their new iPad.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I find it very hard to believe that iPad customers were not already aware of eBook readers.

I can believe that some people are reading eBooks for the first time on their new iPad.
Dunno whether this is true of iPad and e-reader awareness, but sometimes I'm peripherally aware of a product category without even considering that I might want one. Then a more high-profile item in that product category debuts, raising my awareness, and maybe leading me to buy one. Kindle did that for me with e-readers, for instance. It didn't mean I was going to necessarily buy a Kindle, but till its debut, I didn't even consider an e-reader, because I was reading print books without problem.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:

I think it is a combination of things, people hadn't considered such things but have been bombarded with apple advertising that has either got them to buy an ipad and then they have learnt about ebooks or they have just heard about them more due to such things being covered in ipad advertising.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
That's about the only thing i excepted of the iPad as far as e-reading goes. People buying an iPad for something else, realize then can read too. And get a real reeder then. . Or getting the people who don't read enough to justify an actual reader too buy eBooks.
And well, the more e-books sold, the more the publishers will move.

Then apple should have know better than using yet-an-other-drm. Hopefully, that will make the system explode sooner.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
That's about the only thing i excepted of the iPad as far as e-reading goes. People buying an iPad for something else, realize then can read too. And get a real reeder then. . Or getting the people who don't read enough to justify an actual reader too buy eBooks.

Then apple should have know better than using yet-an-other-drm. Hopefully, that will make the system explode sooner.
Lovely thoughts....

A real reeder like your Archos?

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 07-27-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nah, my archos is a pmp. It's job is video and music. No more an e-reader than the iPad is.
It only acts as a backup reader
The only time I use it as a reader was because the opus had gone to support. Reading pdf's is a better experiance on the archos, but 99% of the times, it's ePub i'm reading. And there the opus overmatches the archos, cleary.
I missed e-ink, pages numbers, css support...
The archos mostly stays home. Except the days i know i'll go back late, and I will fell more like listening to music, than reading. And holidays, that what I bought it for, read video out of home.

Quote:
Hopefully, that will make the system explode sooner.
Yes. I'm waiting for these drm system to explode, so the publishers comes to theirs senses and use drm free format.
Waiting for the point drm and all these different format messes things so much that the readers will says : screw you !

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-27-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:

Why do you think it matters to others what you "accept" an iPad as? People buy and use for their purposes, not ones determined by you, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:

You have to factor in Apple's marketing. Whether people buy an iPad or not, Apple's marketing of the iPad is making more and more people aware of ebooks.

Of course, Amazon is doing a lot of advertising these days as well -- and I like their commercials.

I truly do wish Amazon would release sales numbers -- I'm dying to know how many kindle books are being read on the iPad and iPhone (and other mobile phones).

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Why do you think it matters to others what you "accept" an iPad as? People buy and use for their purposes, not ones determined by you, lol.
But the iPad is a tablet, that's a fact.
If I use my archos only to read mp3, that don't make it an "mp3 player". It is still a multimedia tablet, able to do more.

E-reader are device whose primary (and most of times, only), fonction is reading. Reading is only one function among the many the iPad have.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
it's a tablet.. it's a slate.. it's a large ipod touch.. an electronic etch-a-sketch.. i've heard it called a lot of names. in the end, does it really matter?

if i buy an ipad and use it primarily for reading, does that make it an e-reader? if i used my sony 600 mostly for taking notes, does that make it a notepad? as maggie said "People buy and use for their purposes, not ones determined by you, lol." and people will call it what they want to as well.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
if i buy an ipad and use it primarily for reading, does that make it an e-reader?
Nope, it's still a tablet.
Buying an iPad only for reading is a bit of an overkill. It's like buying a smartphone only to phone and send SMS.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Nope, it's still a tablet.
Buying an iPad only for reading is a bit of an overkill.
Unless you want a 9"+ device that can access the libraries of Apple, Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, etc, etc. The one e-reader to rule them all.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote