Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Boazi
Boazi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Using Stanza OUTSIDE my home network

Hi,
I'm new here, it's a pleasure to be around books loving people
I posted a hello message to introduce myself as well as posted a short question however I didn't get a reply yet, possible because it wasn't the right place. Anyway, I recently got a Kindle that I love and when I found out about Calibre it made my life so much easier. I use my iPhone with Stanza to browse my books on my computer and download them in my home network, however I can't figure out how to do the same outside my network (via the internet) I'm going to be on an overseas trip in 2 weeks and will love to be able to download my books to my iPhone when I'm away from home. Any reply will be appreciated.
Boazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What you would have to do is set up either port forwarding on your router to pass port 8080 (or whatever port the calibre server is running on) requests to the machine running calibre. Or, put the whole machine in the DMZ which is much less secure. That said, make sure you password protect it if you are going to do this.

Check out this website for help setting up your router to port forward:
http://portforward.com/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Boazi

thank you for the quick response, I have already used port forwarding to open port 8080, I think the issue is what ip address I use to access my computer over the internet? When I use it on my current home network I use 192.168.1.2, however I wonder what IP address I should use to access my computer through the internet? WHen I use my actual IP address (not the home network) I get the page setup of my router... any idea what I should do to resolve this??
Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boazi View Post
thank you for the quick response, I have already used port forwarding to open port 8080, I think the issue is what ip address I use to access my computer over the internet? When I use it on my current home network I use 192.168.1.2, however I wonder what IP address I should use to access my computer through the internet? WHen I use my actual IP address (not the home network) I get the page setup of my router... any idea what I should do to resolve this??
You would have to use your public IP which is the IP of your router. Your routers public IP address should be on it's status page. This web site gives you your public IP:

http://www.whatsmyip.org/

You could also use a service like http://www.dyndns.com/ which lets you set up a name like bob.dyndns.com which will route to your public IP. Many routers support updating dyndns automatically if the public dns changes.

Also, you can test using your public IP from inside your LAN. If it connects from home then it should when you are away from home.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 08-02-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
When doing the port forwarding you need to set up specific ports on the external address to be forwarded to Calibre. The external port does not need to be the same as the one on your internal network.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
WHen I use my actual IP address (not the home network) I get the page setup of my router... any idea what I should do to resolve this??
Oh... missed this line. Sounds like your port forwarding is not set up correctly. Also, make sure you turn off remote management of your router. You don't want that on!

BOb
Old 08-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Oh... missed this line. Sounds like your port forwarding is not set up correctly. Also, make sure you turn off remote management of your router. You don't want that on!

BOb
Actually, I think several routers use the port 8080 as default for remote management. Either way, I think it would be a good idea to *both* disable remote management on the router and move the Calibre server to a less commonly used port.

As itimpi mentioned, the external port does not need to be the same as the internal one, but that kinda depends on the router's firmware. Iirc, the default firmware on my Linksys WRT54G v2 didn't allow forwarding to a different port.

As with pilotbob, getting an account with dyndns is a good idea. Unless you've got a business account with static IP addresses, your public IP address will eventually change. Besides, it's much easier to remember boazi.kicks-ass.org than 63.258.159.753.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Boazi

wow, all this is great information! Thank you all!
So here is what I've done:
-I found out my public IP address
-I signed up with dyndns
-I changed the port forwarding to 8081
-I made sure that Remote Management is disabled on the router
-Disabled firewalls
I know that the new syndns is working because it directs me to my computer, however when I add the port :8081 I get an error message that I can't establish a connection (on firefox)
I have a feeling it has to do with my port forwarding, but not sure why... I have been using port forwarding for years using Transmission for torrents. WHat might be going wrong??
Old 08-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know that the new syndns is working because it directs me to my computer, however when I add the port :8081 I get an error message that I can't establish a connection (on firefox)
I have a feeling it has to do with my port forwarding, but not sure why... I have been using port forwarding for years using Transmission for torrents. WHat might be going wrong??
What happens when you use http://192.168.1.2:8081 via the local network? Have you restarted Calibre's content server (assuming you also changed the internal port)?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
Boazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
What happens when you use http://192.168.1.2:8081 via the local network? Have you restarted Calibre's content server (assuming you also changed the internal port)?
I get the same error.
I restarted my machine and launched Calibre, I used different ports and got the same errors on my local network. For some reason Calibre won't let me use any other port but 8080! When I try to use this port with port forwarding with the public ip or the name I used with dyndns and port 8080 i'm displayed with the access page for my verizon router that requires me to log in.

I don't know if it has to do with this or not but my network at home is setup with 2 routers: verizon fios router no firewall and DMZ host setup to the other router (Linksys WRT300N) THe Linksys router has firewall disable, and single port forwarding to port 8080.

It seems like something in my verizon router is preventing the pass through my linksys router, but then I have the DMZ setup correctly because I have open the port to Transmission ok as well as able to view my Slingbox via the internet! why can't I get it to work with calibre??
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

It appears you can't do anything about port 8080 if that's what your Verizon modem is using. You just have to switch Calibre. Stop the content-server in Calibre before you try switching ports...

Mayhaps you can try using much higher port numbers, e.g. 18080.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-02-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the port mapping on your router support changing the ports between your internal and external networks? If so you could try mapping 18080 on the external address to 8080 on the PC running Calibre.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Boazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Does the port mapping on your router support changing the ports between your internal and external networks? If so you could try mapping 18080 on the external address to 8080 on the PC running Calibre.
Yes, I set up port 8080 for Calibre and port 18080 on my router and can view Calibre library within my home network, but when I try to enter my public IP instead of my home network IP I get an error message in Safari that tells me that I can't connect to the server...
Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

To check the obvious, I assume that you are not at home when you try this? The public address will not work if you are connected to your home wifi.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
To check the obvious, I assume that you are not at home when you try this? The public address will not work if you are connected to your home wifi.
That is so not true. If the address is public why do you think it wouldn't be public and reachable when he is at home?

BOb