Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Dune ebooks dropped in price

I'm a big fan of Frank Herbert's Dune books, and when I first got my Kindle, I was disappointed to find out that they weren't available as ebooks. Then they became available, but they cost more than the paperback, and I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for six books that I've already got in paper form.

However, I've just noticed that they've come down in price (£2.99 in the UK, $4.90 in the US). This pleases me, because that's a price I'm willing to pay, but what I find most interesting is that these are agency priced books at a reasonable price. I don't really care whether a book is agency priced or not, as long as it's a price I'm willing to pay, but I think these are the first agency books I've seen that are at a price that I'm willing to pay.

Another interesting note: despite the apparent agency pricing (Amazon has a "This price was set by the publisher" note), the books are more expensive at some retailers. Kobo has Dune for £2.99, B&N are charging £2.99 in the UK, $14.99 in the US. Books on Board has it at $14.99. My best guess is that the price was recently reduced and some stores haven't updated their prices yet.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
That's part of the annual SF Gateway sale:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198333

Get them while the prices last! I picked up all four books of "The Book of the New Sun" last year
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeatime View Post
That's part of the annual SF Gateway sale:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198333

Get them while the prices last! I picked up all four books of "The Book of the New Sun" last year
I've already got them - I was afraid it was an error and the price would go back up

Thanks for the explanation. I don't generally read sci-fi, so hadn't taken any notice of that thread.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I checked at amazon.com - the kindle version is $14.99.

pity - I would have bought it at the lower price.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I'm a big fan of Frank Herbert's Dune books...
Thanks for the heads-up, another fan here!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I have read them all, including the prequels, on my Kindle Fire

Just waiting for the 2013 release of the second book in the new "Schools of dune" series
hopefully an expanded story about the origins of the navigators.

I love the Dune universe!!!
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I'm a big fan of Frank Herbert's Dune books,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, another fan here!
And here too
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
I'm a big fan of Frank Herbert's Dune books
Ditto. Such a shame Brian Herbert enlisted Kevin J. Anderson to crap out sequels.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Ditto. Such a shame Brian Herbert enlisted Kevin J. Anderson to crap out sequels.
Hmmm, wrong way round in my opinion... I've tried Brian's work on its own and he's not a patch on Frank as a writer but I've found some of Anderson's own work to be pretty good so I'd swap the names around in your posting...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

Odd. For me, it shows up as $4.90 (at this link: http://www.amazon.com/Dune-ebook/dp/B004KA9UXO/)

If it helps, Kobo also have it at the lower price: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Dune/...W_g/page1.html
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Odd. For me, it shows up as $4.90 (at this link: http://www.amazon.com/Dune-ebook/dp/B004KA9UXO/)

If it helps, Kobo also have it at the lower price: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Dune/...W_g/page1.html
Unfortunately those editions aren't available in the US. The publisher in the US is Penguin, best known for high agency prices...

http://www.amazon.com/Dune-Anniversa...&keywords=dune
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Unfortunately those editions aren't available in the US. The publisher in the US is Penguin, best known for high agency prices...

http://www.amazon.com/Dune-Anniversa...&keywords=dune
That Amazon link shows me a price of $4.90, I guess it must be showing me a UK price even though it's on the US store. I hadn't realised it did that.

My apologies to those of you in the US, I hadn't realised the lower prices weren't available over there
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

Agreed. No way am I going to pay $15 for an ebook version of a book that was written 40 years ago.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I've never read Dune. I tried it many years ago, but I couldn't get into it. I've been thinking of getting it another chance. But tell me that I have to pay $14.99 when someone else gets to pay $4.90? It makes me less inclined to buy it. And at $14.99 for the Kindle edition, I'll read it in paperback.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
And at $14.99 for the Kindle edition, I'll read it in paperback.
Especially when you can get the paperback for $10 or less (not to mention the thousands of used copies available).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote