Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Drumm
Enthusiast
Drumm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color(CM10), NookTouch & Meadiacom 850i
Stylus compatible android tablet/reader

I have a nook color and it is okay, there are some issues, but the biggest problem I have is in order to do anything that requires selecting something on the screen is that it is very inaccurate. I don't think it is a flaw in the device, other than a finger covers too large an area, and it is a real pain to always have to zoom in just to be able to select something. I have tried to use a stylus on the nook and it doesn't work at all.

I have used (and still use) a Dell Axim pocket pc, which can use a stylus (or finger) and there is no problem. I understand the need for using a finger fo rthe "Touch screen" but please let me use a stylus! Everything beyond turning pages is a real pain. I'm not sure why devices with a stylus get such a bad rap, it seems to me that being able to use a stylus or finger would make a tablet so much more useful! Is it something to do with capacitive vs resistive screen?

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!
Drumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
You can still use a stylus with a capacitive screen; you just need a special one.

This newer tablet might interest you: http://www.htc.com/www/tablets/htc-flyer/
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm with you Drumm. I'm not much a fan of those capacitive screens. I prefer my resistive screens. I like the fact that I can use anything, including my finger, to use the touchscreen.

The Sony650 also has this capabilities. And the new Nook too, if I remember correctly...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
Bit
Mé leabhair a léamh
Bit began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle WiFi+3G, Sony PRS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm with you Drumm. I'm not much a fan of those capacitive screens. I prefer my resistive screens. I like the fact that I can use anything, including my finger, to use the touchscreen.

The Sony650 also has this capabilities. And the new Nook too, if I remember correctly...
The Sony PRS650 and Nook Touch both use IR signals layered over the screen IIRC, so anything that can break the signal, could work. Something like glass might not.

Capacitive screens are far superior IMO. They allow multiple points of contact, glass screens and larger displays, and if you want a stylus, you can get ones that are specially made for the capacitive screens.

Amazon
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Capacitive screens are far superior IMO. They allow multiple points of contact, glass screens and larger displays,
Depends on what you want. Yes, the screen is usually more bright. But I don't care about movies. Glass will make the device more heavy. And I couldn't care less about larger displays in a portable device. It will stop being portable if it's large. And I've not seen any advantage of that multiple points of contacts, except for zooming. And I don't do that often...

Quote:
and if you want a stylus, you can get ones that are specially made for the capacitive screens.

Amazon
And that thing is silly. I want a pointed device to point. Not some felt-tipped thingie. Might as well use my pinkie. It's about the same size...

Besides, I still can't use any pointy device I want. I would have to bring that pen with me. Now, I sometimes use a normal ballpoint (without the point out, that is) or even a piece of branch from a tree or bush!
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Bit
Mé leabhair a léamh
Bit began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle WiFi+3G, Sony PRS300
Quote:
And that thing is silly. I want a pointed device to point. Not some felt-tipped thingie. Might as well use my pinkie. It's about the same size...

Besides, I still can't use any pointy device I want. I would have to bring that pen with me. Now, I sometimes use a normal ballpoint (without the point out, that is) or even a piece of branch from a tree or bush!
Why not just use your pinkie then?
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Capacitive paired with Wacom or to a lessor degree, N-trig is the best. I myself prefer Wacom, nothing beats it accuracy.. I love taking hand written notes and multiple levels of pressure as you would with a real pencil. I think the problem with 7'' screens is that they are a great size for reading but to small for finger touch to be accurate. I know I have the same trouble on my Nook Color but not on my iPad.

I also don't like Capacitive stylus but I'm pretty spoiled having a Windows Tablet with Wacom and I have an Edge with Resistive(on the LCD side) And Wacom, (on the eink side) and the different is night and day.. Wacom is simply amazing.. Although I would prefer resistive for hand writing over a Capacitive pen.. those are terrible..but I prefer the touch experience of Capacitive.. I always accidentally open things I don't mean to on Resistive.

Last edited by Synergi; 08-22-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumm View Post
I don't think it is a flaw in the device, other than a finger covers too large an area.....!
Actually it is a flaw in the nook device. The folks who ported the CM7 to nook have added additional software hacks to make the screen more responsive but it's still bad. To add the nook only has two touch accuracy(but your not complaining about that just me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumm View Post
Is it something to do with capacitive vs resistive screen?

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!
No it's not a capacitive vs resistive screen quality issue. Some manufactures add the extra sensors to increase the accuracy some don't.

They both can be just as responsive. The capacitive screens have a few more advantages, it can have a rigid surface so it won't scratch easy, will not register if not activated by a hand or stylus, and has multitouch capability.

My 4" Galaxy phone is very responsive and very accurate to the touch.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-22-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: fixed missing quote
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because even that is too large. And I don't have large hands. I want a point.

Synergi, that's a good second. But only if you can store the stylus inside the device itself. I was looking at the HTC Flyer. Saw that there was also a pen for it. But the fact that there isn't a slot for the pen defeats it again.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
... I was looking at the HTC Flyer. Saw that there was also a pen for it. But the fact that there isn't a slot for the pen defeats it again.
A agree 100% here if a tablet is going to have support for a pen then also have a place to store it. I know of only two tablets that have this feature Lenovo and Asus(link)

The Lenovo ThinkPad is on sale now and will ship Aug 29. It comes with a place to store the Pen(optional $30). Apparently Lenovo also comes with an OCR software, very handy.

Lenovo sales page

Review from Laptop Mag
Here is a review

Video of the Asus 7" (this vid is from Charbax(MR member)-- this guy cracks me up)

Last edited by =X=; 08-23-2011 at 12:14 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Drumm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Aside from being awkward, it's still too big... And I did look at one of the companies that make those special stylus, but Nook Color was not listed, and it didn;t look very durible, like a pen with a round disk glued to the point.

The HTC Flyer looks good, and it aperas there might be some cases that offer decent protection, but $500 is a bit much for my Wife to go for, and I really don;t want to pay extra the cell connectivity. I would rarely use it and while it would be nice cellular internet here is really slow.

If I can find something reasonable I suspect it would be a "surprise" when my wife gets home. She wants my Nook Color when I get a new one. She says she is not sure about it yet but was asking if Barnes and Noble had a new nook color yet.

If i was looking for just an e-book reader I would definately get the nook touch, but I am looking for something a little more powerful, or more flexable. I need something for traveling so I don't have to take 10 to 12 pounds of laptop and accessories. With android and RDC I can pretty much do anything I need to, but using a finger makes it very difficult.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
Drumm
Enthusiast

So far form the looks of it, I'll have to stick with my Nook Color for now, see if Cyanogen can make enough improvements ( and I can figure out how to make it work correctly) and see what I can find for the next to the US.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
A agree 100% here if a tablet is going to have support for a pen then also have a place to store it. I know of only two tablets that have this feature Lenovo and Asus(link)

The Lenovo ThinkPad is on sale now and will ship Aug 29. It comes with a place to store the Pen(optional $30). Apparently Lenovo also comes with an OCR software, very handy.

Lenovo sales page

Review from Laptop Mag
Here is a review
<snip>

Video of the Asus 7" (this vid is from Charbax(MR member)-- this guy cracks me up)

<snip>
That Lenovo looks nice, but is too large.

And that Asus looks even better, except it might not even come out! Why do all the good things get scrapped?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm quite fond of the iFaraday stylus for use on capacitive screens... the tip is covered with a metallic fabric that is pretty responsive, and there's several options for tip shape and level of firmness. From what I understand, the guy making them will do customizations (longer/fatter/whatever) when asked. I just have the most basic one ($10 which may seem like a lot, but keep in mind that they're made by one guy working out of his home in Southern California and not some mega corporation using cheap labor) but it works great on my iPod Touch.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
naw, never mind. ;(

Last edited by joenunya; 08-24-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: badly expressed.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote