Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #121
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
While it is true that students are perpetually cash-strapped, a laptop is something that most of them will use daily and will often take with them to the library, classes, trips home, etc., so portability and battery life are often a priority. It is also something that isn't purchased very often (by students at least), so it stands to reason that they would want something that would last through their time at university, and thus they may want something with a bit beefier specs. I personally don't have a problem with spending more than the average laptop costs when purchasing one, seeing as I use it several hours a day.
My personal opinion is that it is better to buy a mid-range laptop now, and change it in 2-3 years, than spend twice now for a top of the range one, which would be obsolete anyway in 2 years. For a student, a mid-range would most certainly do; after all, searching the web and writing on a text editor doesn't need that much horse power. Of course, there will be exceptions for some specific students with subjects that require heavy computing.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #122
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Just to counter that, I know 3 mac owners who have had their mac books die within 2-3 years of purchase. There was also a fairly big issue with a batch of macbooks with NVidia GPUs, Apple offered to replace any that died within 2 years of purchase which didn't help two of my friends who's laptops both suffered the GPU issue just after 2 years of usage.

As for me, my Mac has been fine and still is, but then again so are my windows laptops too. All devices will have a % failure rate, some of us will just be unlucky enough to be the ones making up that number
I suppose that is true. Then I guess what we are looking at here is that the % rate of a Mac failing is lower than the % rate of a PC failing. Of course, I could be wrong. I am basing this on my experience and the knowledge I have from the people around me with Macs.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #123
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've used Dell laptops for years, and have never had a single problem with them. I'd thoroughly recommend them.
My first one lasted 5 years, until the graphics card popped. The second one has been going strong for 5 years now, I use it with Linux for Android development - not the fastest machine, but gets the job done.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #124
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
And cars are becoming rolling computer and communications tech. So to the decisions about smartphone, reading device, tablet, and computer (subnotebook, netbook, notebook, laptop, desktop, server)—as well as network connectivity options, software, and accessories—add deciding what kind of car to buy based on the quality of computer and communications tech inside it. After all, it is inconvenient to have to plug the smartphone into the jack in the console or dashboard with a cable, and hands-off computing while driving is of course a necessity….

We'll need a new forum here called "Vehicle-based Reading Devices", with subforums for each vehicle model. Giving the "mobile" in MobileRead added meaning.

("Oh no, my current car is great, it's only a year old, but I want to upgrade to the new tech-thingies in that new model from Apple-AT&T-Ford.")

Last edited by unboggling; 07-08-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: clarity of humor
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #125
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I've used Dell laptops for years, and have never had a single problem with them. I'd thoroughly recommend them.
what model was yours? my mom's dell laptop broke down just after her warranty ended. so did my friend's dell. i'm using an asus netbook right now. small and sturdy, and pretty light.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #126
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
what model was yours? my mom's dell laptop broke down just after her warranty ended. so did my friend's dell. i'm using an asus netbook right now. small and sturdy, and pretty light.
I currently have two Dell laptops. A small 11.6" model, the Inspiron 11Z, which I take away with me on trips, and use in bed (yes, I know that's sad! ), and my main laptop which is again an Inspiron (I forget the model number) with a 15" screen. Both are about 2-3 years old now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #127
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Dropped my iPad recently :-(

My sweet wife offered me a trade-in, giving the case I frequently watch videos and use the volume button a lot (the only part affected was volume button, got pinched when hit the floor)

I was amazed with how easy was to format the iPad and recover from iCloud backup. Everything, and I literally mean everything, including browsing history, was there after backup. It took 5 min. Even those DRM free books I have on iBooks.

Backup and recovery was paid pain free process.

Now I have former wife's iPad, which is white.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #128
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Now I have former wife's iPad, which is white.
former wife's iPad or wife's former iPad?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #129
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
former wife's iPad or wife's former iPad?

The downside of having English as my second language, lol ...

Anyway, you got the message, right? her iPad is now miiiiinneeeee, hahahaha...

Yeah, she is not a former wife, still is my wife, as far as I know, hahahaha...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #130
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

The downside of having English as my second language, lol ...

Glad to hear things are good on both iPad and marriage fronts.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #131
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The downside of having English as my second language, lol …[/quick]

Now if it was cars instead of iPads, that might be a different story…
Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #132
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
I currently have two Dell laptops. A small 11.6" model, the Inspiron 11Z, which I take away with me on trips, and use in bed (yes, I know that's sad! ), and my main laptop which is again an Inspiron (I forget the model number) with a 15" screen. Both are about 2-3 years old now.
My Dad used Dells for years. He had no complaints. Only one of his Dells had an insurmountable problem when a power surge fried it after he neglected to plug it into a surge protector. Which wasn't the crispy Dell's fault.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #133
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Now if it was cars instead of iPads, that might be a different story…
Actually, I drive her car weekends, is a roadster, lol ... lot of fun ...
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #134
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
I'd say Macbook pro. I bought mine for University about 2 years ago mostly for the battery life (7+ hours) since most of my classes are 3 hours long. I guess it just depends on what you think you'll be mostly using it for, and if it's worth it to buy one.
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #135
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't some Mac laptops have non-replaceable batteries? That may be a consideration if you're thinking of buying a laptop for use for several years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote