Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
But would it be a step back, truly? If all the publishers got together to create a single website then it would still be one-stop shopping.
They could do that, but isn't that why we have stores like Amazon, Kobo, B&N, etc? I suspect that the costs for the publishers to get into the retail business would outweigh the benefits.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #62
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
If the publishers start their own retail website, and offer drm-free books at a reasonable price, there's only one more thing it would take to wean me from Amazon - great customer service. but somehow, I doubt the BPHs will learn that last step from Amazon.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #63
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
If the publishers start their own retail website, and offer drm-free books at a reasonable price, there's only one more thing it would take to wean me from Amazon - great customer service. but somehow, I doubt the BPHs will learn that last step from Amazon.
There's certainly no indication of it so far.

They'll also have to take full responsibility for formatting and other errors, and actually respond to consumers. That might be worth watching just for the lulz and the eventual posts on Consumerist.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
From their website? Also, too, there's something coming called Bookish.com which is rumored to be a publisher effort at direct sales to consumers.
My guess is that anything involving cooperation between independent publishing houses to create a "one-stop shopping" store for all of their combined titles has probably been put on hold—at least until another certain legal matter has been resolved. And lets face it; if BPHs want to act like one big happy company, they're first going to have to legally become one big happy company. Otherwise, legal eyebrows will be raised every time.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #65
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it would (for me, anyway) be a step backwards because I don't want to have to go to a different website to buy books from each different publisher. I like buying from a single bookstore which stocks books from ALL the publishers. It's a matter of convenience for the consumer.
I already go to a different site, the Baen site . But you're right as well -- if Baen were to start selling eBooks on Amazon (and there has been a LOT of pressure on them to do so), I'd probably buy at least some of my Baen books directly from Amazon, since I could do it from the Kindle, without having to go sit at a computer.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I already go to a different site, the Baen site . But you're right as well -- if Baen were to start selling eBooks on Amazon (and there has been a LOT of pressure on them to do so), I'd probably buy at least some of my Baen books directly from Amazon, since I could do it from the Kindle, without having to go sit at a computer.
Yes, Baen is my exception, too. I buy their "Webscription" (or whatever the new-fangled name for it is...) every month.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #67
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Charles Stross has a detailed post explaining the publishers going DRM free strategy. Apparently the Macmillam execs are listening:

Quote:
And, as we can now see from Tor's ground-breaking announcement I was only just ahead of the curve: people at executive level inside Macmillan were already asking whether dropping DRM would be a good move. Last week they asked me to explain, in detail, just why I thought abandoning DRM on ebooks was a sensible strategy for a publisher
He sets out a four-part argument that's interesting, but full of controversial points. Here's the exec summary:

Quote:
1. The rapid current pace of change in the electronic publishing sector is driven by the consumer electronics and internet industry. It's impossible to make long term publishing plans (3-10 years) without understanding these other industries and the priorities of their players. It is important to note that the CE industry relies on selling consumers new gadgets every 1-3 years. And it is through their gadgets that readers experience the books we sell them. Where is the CE industry taking us?

2. Dropping DRM across all of Macmillans products will not have immediate, global, positive effects on revenue in the same way that introducing the agency model did ...

3. However, relaxing the requirement for DRM across some of Macmillans brands will have very positive public relations consequences among certain customer demographics, notably genre readers who buy large numbers of books (and who, while a minority in absolute numbers, are a disproportionate source of support for the midlist).

4. Longer term, removing the requirement for DRM will lower the barrier to entry in ebook retail, allowing smaller retailers (such as Powells) to compete effectively with the current major incumbents. This will encourage diversity in the retail sector, force the current incumbents to interoperate with other supply sources (or face an exodus of consumers), and undermine the tendency towards oligopoly. This will, in the long term, undermine the leverage the large vendors currently have in negotiating discount terms with publishers while improving the state of midlist sales.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #68
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My guess is that anything involving cooperation between independent publishing houses to create a "one-stop shopping" store for all of their combined titles has probably been put on hold—at least until another certain legal matter has been resolved. And lets face it; if BPHs want to act like one big happy company, they're first going to have to legally become one big happy company. Otherwise, legal eyebrows will be raised every time.
You maybe right on that. The Settling 3 have such onerous compliance requirements imposed on them that they can barely take a crap without telliing the DOJ first.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #69
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I vaguely remember seeing something in the settlement details that required any joint ventures between the publishers to be approved or monitored by the DOJ.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #70
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They could do that, but isn't that why we have stores like Amazon, Kobo, B&N, etc? I suspect that the costs for the publishers to get into the retail business would outweigh the benefits.
We have Amazon, kobo, etc because of the old model to sale books. Everyone says that ebooks are a new product that require a new method...and this could be a working method.

I thought that Bookish was supposed to become that 1 stop for Agency6...and the indies and smaller pubs would end up only being sold in larger stores.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I vaguely remember seeing something in the settlement details that required any joint ventures between the publishers to be approved or monitored by the DOJ.
Has there been a settlement yet? I must have overlooked that.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #72
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Three companies have settled but the settlement has not been approved by a Judge so it is not offical. There are people who are contesting the settlement and they have to be heard before the Judge can rule on the settlement itself.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #73
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
We have Amazon, kobo, etc because of the old model to sale books. Everyone says that ebooks are a new product that require a new method...and this could be a working method.

I thought that Bookish was supposed to become that 1 stop for Agency6...and the indies and smaller pubs would end up only being sold in larger stores.
Well - it seems to work well for Harlequin. They've been selling their eBooks from their website for years now.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #74
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Well - it seems to work well for Harlequin. They've been selling their eBooks from their website for years now.
Yeah. With great deals, too.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #75
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
But would it be a step back, truly? If all the publishers got together to create a single website then it would still be one-stop shopping.
just ebooks?

no other stuff?

dead.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote