Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Traxas
Traxas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Worth waiting for PRS-505, or take the Bebook?

I'm considering buying the bebook.

I've ruled out the cybook because I've been told that the batteries of the cybook don't last very long, and because the cybook doesn't allow to view folders in the menu. This could be an annoyance, since I'll probably put a lot of books on it.
It does have a good dictionairy lookup though, but I suppose I could use OI on a bebook, as I'm not planning to use DRM'ed files.

The other alternative, the PRS-505, is currently unavailable in The Netherlands. I heard it will be available in about 6 months. The only reason I'm also considering the PRS-505 is because of the casing. It seems a lot sturdier to me.

Is it worth waiting for the sony to come to my country, or should I get the bebook?

PS, does a 6 inch screen read comfortably, i.e. it's not too small?
Traxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, I know bol.com will start selling a sony, not sure which one though (I've seen pictures of the 700 and of the 505 with news articles)... They said after the summer. And as the summer is about to start, it should be in about 3 months

(http://www.bright.nl/e-books-downloaden-bij-bolcom)

About reading on a 6" screen: there should be BeBooks on display at all Libris and Blz shops. (try this site to find one closest to you: http://www.libris.nl/?winkeloverzicht).

Or you could make a "mockup" of a 6" screen. I don't know what the measurements exactly are (at least of the screen itself), you'd have to ask that of somebody that does own one
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
You know, you can always resell the BeBook later.
But be aware that the BeBook/Hanlin V3 has a major flaw: many people complain because their BeBook is very unstable. The hardware is not of high quality (besides the screen which is standard Vizplex like on the Sony). That is a Chinese designed and made product, it is still far from Japanese quality.
OpenInkpot makes it much less unstable though. That is what I am using right now. But it does not include landscape PDF viewing, does not read .doc files, does not play mp3, does not open .rar, crashes with Wikipedia on mobipocket,...
If you are willing to wait a few months, be aware that Hanlin is preparing a faster version of the V3 (Lbook will sell it), with much more RAM, slightly better screen...go to the Hanlin forum and read the thread about the foreign forums translated through Google to know more.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
Traxas

#Sweetpea
Yea, that's the one I was talking about. I thought bol.com was going to sell the 505, but now that you mention it, they never actually said that. It doesn't matter much though, as I figured I could just buy it on amazon.co.uk.
Also, I checked out a Libris store, but they didn't have any ebook readers. Oh well.

@Lbooker
Your statement about the bebook's unstability quite worried me. I would prefer a more reliable ebookreader ofcourse. Therefore I'm leaning towards the sony prs-505 at the moment. Too bad it doesn't support dictionary lookup though.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Traxas

Oops, doubleposted by accident.. Gave me a time-out error..

Last edited by Traxas; 06-16-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: doublepost
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxas View Post
Your statement about the bebook's unstability quite worried me. I would prefer a more reliable ebookreader ofcourse.
I haven't really had any hardware problems yet. The software is quite good, although buggy on some occasions. I prefer Openinkpot, which seems stabler to me.
The case is of course plastic, but as said before, I don't mind / have problems.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

@Lbooker
Your statement about the bebook's unstability quite worried me. I would prefer a more reliable ebookreader ofcourse. Therefore I'm leaning towards the sony prs-505 at the moment. Too bad it doesn't support dictionary lookup though.
Maybe you should wait for new Cybook and BeBook models to decide. There will be improvements. You only have to wait a few months.
Now you can only choose with flawed readers.
The BeBook is stable with OpenInkpot, but mobipocket dictionaries do not work in it.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
#Sweetpea
Yea, that's the one I was talking about. I thought bol.com was going to sell the 505, but now that you mention it, they never actually said that. It doesn't matter much though, as I figured I could just buy it on amazon.co.uk.
Also, I checked out a Libris store, but they didn't have any ebook readers. Oh well.
They should have!

From the BeBook twitter:

Quote:
Nationwide BeBook launch in all Libris and Blz book stores throughout the Netherlands. All stores will have a 'hands on' counter display.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
QubyB
Trick Kiter
QubyB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
No need to wait, just get a Sony via a UK webshop

Just like you I live in Holland and I scanned the market. I tried the ones I could lay my hands on. I thought the Sony scores higher on sturdyness, look and feel, ease of operation and PDF handling (reflow) than the brands / types that are available here.

I did not want to wait and I bought mine online in the UK. Including shipping it set me back €244,-.

My views on the Sony: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=49

Last edited by QubyB; 06-17-2009 at 12:26 PM.
QubyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Traxas

May I ask you where you bought it, QubyB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
They should have!
I used the search function of the website you linked, and it pointed me to a bookstore. Turned out it wasn't a libris store, I can't quite remember what is was called again. On the bright side though, at least now I know another bookstore, and quite a big one.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
martinsm
martinsm began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've bought mine in Waterstone. Received mine in Latvia by mail in ~week.
martinsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Traxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsm View Post
I've bought mine in Waterstone. Received mine in Latvia by mail in ~week.
Hm.. Since May waterstones doesn't ship the reader outside UK anymore.
Neither do Amazon and whSmith.

I've read good things about bhphotovideo.com, but I decided I'm not willing to take the risk of not having warranty, which basically means that the sony reader will be unavailable to me until 'after summer', when bol.com will start selling 505's for 290 euro. (That's 110 euro more than at bhphotovideo.com!(shipping not included))

Now I'm reconsidering the bebook, as it is available here and it's (slightly) less expensive. Is the bebook's quality really that poor compared to the prs-505?
Old 06-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
Lbooker
Addict

Buying the BeBook is a lottery. That is as simple as that.
But if you use the OpenInkpot firmware it works fine.
The little drawback is that right now it is limited compared to the Lbook firmware. But they are working on it, and you can be pretty sure it will be better soon.
Also be aware that the BeBook only displays four shades of grey, so many picture look horrible.
Anyway if you buy it and it is unstable, you can either send it back to be repaired, use OpenInkpot or sell it here or on ebay.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Personally, I'd wait till the end of the summer. A lot of new readers should be released by then (in mainland Europe at least). We'll've the BeBook 2, the BeBook Mini, the Textr and the Sony.