Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Does this mean that if, say, I wanted to install MS Office on my hypothetical iPad, I would have to buy it from the Apple store?
Correct.
Except there is no MS Office or Open Office or equivalent.
There are light duty document viewer/editor apps and Apple sells their equivalent to MS Works as unbundled apps.

iPad is not a Macintosh tablet and should not be cross-shopped or compared to laptops or Windows TabletPCs. iPad is, rather, a derivative of iPod touch and iPhone and is based on smartphone technology (ARM CPUs, Flash storage, etc) instead of x86 desktop-derived tech. You *can* use them to carry out some light productivity work (just as people used to do on PalmPilots and PocketPCs) but that is not what they are designed to do; iPads are *not* full-function computers and cannot be turned into computers. (I've seen it tried, though.)

What iPads are primarily designed for is (paid) content consumption, gaming, and non-Flash web surfing.
(Flash-based web sites are designed for desktop PC browsers and eat up too many resources to provide a smooth and responsive experienced on ARM-based hardware so rather than try, Apple just told website developers to stop using Flash and use HTML5. This has not yet happened.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #47
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Thanks very much for the information. I had no idea they were so limited. Clearly, an iPad would not make a good replacement for a laptop. Do the same limitations obtain on Android tablets?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #48
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I would wait for fjtorres's more detailed reply, but in short, yes.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Quote:
you may surf wherever you like but you can't use Flash
http://www.skyfire.com/en/product/iphone
And this allows interactive flash how?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #50
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Clearly, an iPad would not make a good replacement for a laptop.
Depends on your uses. If you primarily do email, surf the web, watch videos etc. then it works fine. If you write your latest magnum opus or need an Ethernet jack, a laptop is likely a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB
Do the same limitations obtain on Android tablets?
Not that I know of. A lot of the limitations are because iOS doesn't really give you access to the file system in the same way as a typical computer.

Each app has its own "bucket" of storage, so you have to use iTunes as an intermediary to copy files to and from the device. Some apps now do allow more system-wide access to files, but I found it to be rather clunky in this respect.

AFAIK with Android you can run whatever apps you want, you don't have to go through Google Market, and you can access the device's file system normally.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #51
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Apple just told website developers to stop using Flash and use HTML5. This has not yet happened.)
Sure its happening. See my sig for one example.

I can provide others.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #52
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

Not that I know of. A lot of the limitations are because iOS doesn't really give you access to the file system in the same way as a typical computer.
Read this developers interaction with the manager:

http://www.sethclifford.me/stream/20...my-pocket.html

Quote:
when I went to Staples, I asked the sales guy for the 10.1 and the first thing he said was "What are you buying it for?" When I replied, "development", he said "Ok, because this thing isn't going to replace a laptop for you". No problem, I assured him, we're app devs, and we know what we're doing. Then, the manager came over to verify the coupon I had and asked the same question again. Again I replied "development" and he asked "Of what?" rather indignantly.

"Uh, Android apps?" I replied incredulously.

"Oh, ok, because we're selling a lot of these things, and we get a LOT of them back. People buy them thinking they're getting rid of a laptop, and they all come back returning them."
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #53
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I didn't read through all the posts, so someone probably already posted about Amazon's plan to be able to sell on iPad without having to do the 30 percent cut. Basically...there's an app for that...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government...rictions/10701
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #54
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
The Kindle Cloud Reader has a lot of potential, but it really doesn't make it any more convenient for Ios customers.

For what its worth, Apple has always pushed web apps as an alternative to native apps.

Quote:
And, most importantly, Apple needs to do a better job emphasizing what HTML5 mobile web apps are capable of, and that such apps are completely open for both developers and users. To use the walled garden metaphor, Apple needs to make more people aware that right across the street from the App Store’s beautiful but tightly controlled and regulated walled garden, there’s a very nice public park, open to everyone.

A web app store, as per Eric Meyer’s suggestion I linked to earlier today, should not and will not come from Apple. Apple should host a directory of great HTML5 apps that work well on iPhones and iPads — and do a better job bragging about HTML5, WebKit, and the iPhone OS’s status as the best platform for completely open mobile web content.
DARING FIREBALL

Last edited by stonetools; 08-11-2011 at 04:17 AM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #55
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Thanks very much for the information. I had no idea they were so limited. Clearly, an iPad would not make a good replacement for a laptop. Do the same limitations obtain on Android tablets?
As mentioned, the simple answer is yes. The more complicated answer is that Android, in allowing more open-source apps, could allow for more complex uses that would never get past Apple's filters. However, at the moment--tablets are media consumption devices with customizability and some input allowances; you can enter data into pre-set programs, but no programs exist for complex data manipulation & management.

Can enter text. Lousy platform for writing a novel. Can round up bookmarks online; lousy platform for designing webpages. Can track checkbook spending; lousy platform for business accounting.

If there's *one particular thing* you want to be able to do, you might find an app for it. Or a small cluster of apps. But there's no elegant cross-app coordination for managing creative or business work, and it's not likely to exist in the future.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #56
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
but no programs exist for complex data manipulation & management.
Open Office gives you Word documents and Excel spreadsheets if you buy the paid version.

I have it on my phone.

The fact is, tablet processors now are as powerful as the pentium II machine I built in 1998 and they have orders of magnitude more memory.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #57
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Android, in allowing more open-source apps, could allow for more complex uses that would never get past Apple's filters.
An example or two, please.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #58
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
An example or two, please.
Example of uses that could never get past Apple's filters? Or more complex apps?

Don't have specifics for either; I just know that Apple has booted out a number of open source apps (some open source licenses clash with Apple's TOU), and Apple puts strict constraints on its apps.

I don't know if one open source app could access another one to allow coordination between files--I'm pretty sure Apple isn't going to allow apps that do nothing but manipulate another app's content.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #59
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Don't have specifics for either; I just know that Apple has booted out a number of open source apps (some open source licenses clash with Apple's TOU)
Actually open source groups have forced Apple to pull apps, because the OS groups say the licence conflicts. (At least in the examples I have seen, for example VLC: http://www.macstories.net/news/vlc-f...-now-on-cydia/)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #60
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Actually open source groups have forced Apple to pull apps, because the OS groups say the licence conflicts. (At least in the examples I have seen, for example VLC: http://www.macstories.net/news/vlc-f...-now-on-cydia/)
The OS licenses predate the Apple license; those apps should never have been approved. I don't consider the OS supporters to be bad guys for saying, "no, you can't keep distributing our work in violation of the license by which it's made available." It's not difficult to comply with an OS license; Apple refused.

The apps are still available--for anyone who isn't working through Apple's restrictions on use.