Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
TracyLynn
TracyLynn began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, enTourage Pocket eDGe
Question Lost & Confused Newb!

I think the Title says it all!
I've been searching & reading all over this forum all morning and it's completely Greek to me! I considered myself fairly experienced when it comes to the computer but....wow! I am totally lost as to how to use or add anything other than the basics to my PE. I've had bad experiences in the past with torrents and the like so I really don't want to get into anything too deep or "techy". But I would like to at least understand some of what most users are using and doing with their own PE's should I ever decide to change my mind.
Could someone please tell me where to I go from here? What would you recommend for someone who is just starting and just would like to play with something safe & simple until they felt comfortable? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
TracyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Exclamation

Tracy

What is it you want to do with the PE? Allot of discussions here are about getting access to the 'Android Market' proper; where apps are more plentiful. However, not all Android apps will work with the PE or EE (10.1" model). There are many places to get apps and discussion here on which versions work. As well as gaining access to Gapps (Google apps).

My advice BEFORE deciding to do any changes is to get used to the PE. Read through the user manual and understand all the different functions.

And, Welcome to the 'eDGe' of the world!

ps. Your PE is red?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
If you haven't done so, watch the videos that come on the pe, also go to youtube and search for entourage edge and you will find several more that will give you a lot of the basics. There is an ad by entourage that gives some ideas of how you might use the unit.

They are good for reading for sure. You can load kindle and nook readers on the android side and there are other readers as well.

Amazon app store has a ton of apps for you as well, many free.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynn View Post
I think the Title says it all!
I've been searching & reading all over this forum all morning and it's completely Greek to me! I considered myself fairly experienced when it comes to the computer but....wow! I am totally lost as to how to use or add anything other than the basics to my PE. I've had bad experiences in the past with torrents and the like so I really don't want to get into anything too deep or "techy". But I would like to at least understand some of what most users are using and doing with their own PE's should I ever decide to change my mind.
Could someone please tell me where to I go from here? What would you recommend for someone who is just starting and just would like to play with something safe & simple until they felt comfortable? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
As the others say, learn what your PE can do - then you can decide what you want to do with it.

To give you an example. My EE, that's the big one, is mainly used when I have to go to a client's site to do some work. I have all the manuals I am likely to need on a SD card so I can use them on the e-ink panel. The LCD part allows me to connect to the client's network and, if necessary, transfer files to or from USB attached storage. I have to admit it has a collection of SF stories on it for break time reading and I have google maps, the version that works with out GPS, to enable me to find places as well as using e-mail as necessary.

Other people have other usage habits, it is for you to find what you want to use it for - and as usual, if you have questions, ask.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
tracy -

I completely agree with everyone on this thread.

What exactly do you want to do with your device? What did you buy it for? How does the current setup help you achieve those goals? What would you like to be different? Don't mess around with anything unless it solves a genuine problem. A lot of people hose their system because they start playing around for no reason.

One thing you probably will want to do is install Ermine. The eDGe comes out of the box running Android 1.6, which is an extremely old version of the operating system. Ermine is an update designed by Entourage that will update you to Android 2.2. While 2.2 has a number of important changes, the most significant is the inclusion of a JIT compiler, which will substantially increase your tablet's speed. Also, a lot of newer apps won't even run on Android 1.6.

If you want instructions on how to install Ermine, just follow the ones posted on the "tweaks" thread at the top of this forum.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Just for fun, here are some older threads about how people use their (large and small) eDGes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137787
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136187
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137970
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137960
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Thumbs up Tracy

Also review the Entourage Archive thread at the top of this forum.
This archive was the official Entourage forum when the company was in full swing and placed here when they closed.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur
arcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipse

Device: entourage pe
The EDGE is actually a pretty decent device. I am typing on a usb keyboard right now. It can take the place of a netbook for light web browsing, checking forums, etc. I use the edge so I don't have to boot up my PC which with windows can take up to 3-4 minutes depending on what its loading with security, wifi, etc. I also use it to watch movies. I have to encode it to ipod or iphone format. The stock video player does not play many other formats. The light flash is not bad for certain web sites that have video. I believe that CNBC, and I think cnn works.
The one great feature I really like with the stock web browser is that I can get a large article from like CNN or usatoday and send it over to the eink side to read so its less strain on my eyes. I tried using the kindle 3 for that but the navigation and wifi is very slow.
I don't use the canera much. I've been playing a game called wordsmith with people I don't know across the net. For $125 from woot, its not a bad android tablet. I'm actually thinking about the viewsonic gtab next for about $259 from woot too, but I'm hoping the next woot it would be like $199 or something.
I was hesitant about keeping it, but I've changed my mind. I've even sold my android phone, yes it was the huawei ideo (or the t-mobile comet version) and gone back to a regular candybar phone. Use google calendar that I access with the edge.
There is probably tons of stuff to do with it.
arcticmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Just discovered Nettalk VOIP app, free outgoing calls in US and Canada. You have to get it on a phone or other compatible device (actually got it from android market on my Archos 5!). Sideloaded, installed, set up account on website, works fine on PE!
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Very cool, Glow (except for those not in North America )! Thank you very much!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote