Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #256
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I guess the question is - is this actually invalid?
I wondered about that. It is not unusual to have similar authors on the same book -- The Stardance Trilogy by Jeanne and Spider Robinson is an example -- and these shouldn't flagged. On the other hand, If I entered Robinson, Spider & Roobinson, Jeanne, then I would want to see it.

My conclusion: show them. They are relatively rare, and I can easily add an exemption.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #257
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Edit: It also would be nice to have "Don't show me again" checkboxes, at least on the add exemption warning dialogs.
Ahh yes. Circumstances have changed a little on some of those dialogs since I previously considered this. What the heck, may as well make them all like that. What I think would be nice as someone pointed out on a thread the other day is a way in Calibre of resetting them without having to reset every single dialog in the app...?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #258
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.0.7 Beta

Changes in this release:
  • Allow the remove, mark current and mark all group exemption dialogs able to be hidden from showing again.
  • Allow various count of result and no result information dialogs able to be hidden from showing again.

There are still a couple of dialogs I haven't enabled this situation on - related to when you try to perform certain actions but you are not allowed to due to the underlying state having changed. These are too important imho to be allowed to hide or else the user will not know whether they have done an action or not. For the rest though in "normal" usage you should be able to get rid of.

Last edited by kiwidude; 05-02-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Removed attachment as later version in thread
Old 05-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #259
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.0.8 Beta

Changes in this release:
  • Allow user to reset confirmation dialogs related to find duplicates from the configuration dialog

Maybe longer term Calibre will do something - for now this is a way to not reset every dialog in the application from one careless click in find duplicates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2_Configuration.png
Views:	413
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	70851  

Last edited by kiwidude; 05-13-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Remove attachment as 1.1 released
Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #260
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I wondered about that. It is not unusual to have similar authors on the same book -- The Stardance Trilogy by Jeanne and Spider Robinson is an example -- and these shouldn't flagged. On the other hand, If I entered Robinson, Spider & Roobinson, Jeanne, then I would want to see it.

My conclusion: show them. They are relatively rare, and I can easily add an exemption.
I should not show it.
Robinson, Spider & Roobinson, Jeanne
This is a quality check

For example, I have a lot of books of Havank, AKA for Hendrikus Frederikus (Hans) van der Kallen.
I want to have Havank as main author. But if I add a book that has Hendrikus Frederikus (Hans) van der Kallen as author, I want to see this and set Havank as main author.
So I always store this author as
Havank & Hendrikus Frederikus (Hans) van der Kallen (AKA Havank)

In this way, I see duplicate authors in my author list on K (... Kallen and ... Kallen (AKA Havank))
So I know I have to rename the author and I can search on Kallen or Havank.

I can imagine this book will pop-up on quality-check, but it should not on duplicate check. I have only one copy of this book. Duplicates tells me something on duplicate books, not on duplicate authors (I can see duplicate authors if I have two books that would show in one of the duplicates tests and sim, fuz, soundex or ignore author, but it will always have two books.)
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #261
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drMerry View Post
I should not show it.
Robinson, Spider & Roobinson, Jeanne
This is a quality check
Don't agree.

That book has two different authors. I do not want the quality check to get involved with arguing with me over spelling of the name of an author. If it starts doing that, then it would also need to complain about Adams, Douglas vs Adams, Cat vs Adams, John. Or Applegate, KA vs Appleton, Victor. I really don't want the check to do that.

Regarding duplicate check: in Title/Author mode, I would hope that duplicate check would flag XXX by Robinson, Jeanne and XXX by Roobinson, Jeanne as potential duplicates. It should also flag Robinson, J and Robinson, Jeanne. In other words, duplicate check needs to recognize that variants of Robinson and Roobinson are possibly the same name.

In author mode (ignoring title), the duplicate check is checking for possible duplicate authors. Robinson, Spider and Roobinson, Spider are possible duplicates. So are Robinson, Spider and Roobinson, Jeanne, given loose enough criteria. It doesn't matter that they appear on the same or different books.

Thus the right place to do this work is duplicate check, because we are looking for potential duplicates, not potential misspellings. It turns out that one reason for duplicates is in fact misspellings, but there are others.

Of course, my position depends upon the notion that the title and the authors are set to what they should be (as listed on the copyright page). You seem to have a different system, where for your convenience the authors are set to something other than the 'real' author list. I won't say you are wrong, but I don't think it is reasonable to ask a plugin to cater to people's specific 'non-standard' naming systems. There can be as many as there are people.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #262
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Alright.
Lets say it is a duplicate author-check.
In this case, I can imagine you want to detect Roobinson and Robinson or Robinsons
But ....

Would you like to check these duplicate authors inside one book?
I can Imagine you take a list of all (unique) authors, and test them against each other.
I also can Imagine you would show these two books:

Book A by Roobinson & Robinson
Book B by Roobinson & Robinson

(because A by Roobinson would match author Robinson in Book B)
In this case all my books of Havank would show up.

But if I only have Book A, I would not show this. Why would you check if there are two possible same authors on one book? That is a quality thing.

So in my opinion, all duplicates found with this plugin would at least have two books.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #263
drMerry
Addict

and also.
If you have one book from Robinson OR Roobinson, it would be a rare author in your library.
In this case, it is very likely it is right and no dub.