Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #391
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I'm not sure why they referred me to phone support in the first place, because this made the whole issue even more frustrating.
The e-mail support is a general B&N support venue, while they have a dedicated phone pool (at least, I assume that's why there's a separate phone number) for the Fictionwise transfers. Easier to train that group and have the normal support redirect people there, than to train everyone.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #392
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
The e-mail support is a general B&N support venue, while they have a dedicated phone pool (at least, I assume that's why there's a separate phone number) for the Fictionwise transfers. Easier to train that group and have the normal support redirect people there, than to train everyone.
But jolly expensive to phone if you're in another country!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #393
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But jolly expensive to phone if you're in another country!
That is unfortunate. Especially if you're in the UK, a supposedly-supported country.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #394
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
That is unfortunate. Especially if you're in the UK, a supposedly-supported country.
I don't think anyone in the UK has been referred to phone support. B&N think that HarryT is in the US!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #395
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
True .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #396
salyavin
salyavin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma and Boox Nova 3
I got my code yesterday and it seemed to accept it but so far 0 of my titles (of nearly 2000) have transferred. Guess more waiting.
salyavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #397
Bindi
Bindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Palm Tungsten T3; Sony PRS-350; Pocketbook 360
All of the Fictionwise and Spellcaster imprints have been removed from Fictionwise even though the home page banner says that sales end tonight at midnight. I had a couple of short stories in my cart yesterday and should have bought them then.
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #398
gstew
gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: HTC HD2 & One X
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
All of the Fictionwise and Spellcaster imprints have been removed from Fictionwise even though the home page banner says that sales end tonight at midnight. I had a couple of short stories in my cart yesterday and should have bought them then.

Same with SciFi mags AEon, Interzone, and the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. I expected them to be available through today, but that was not to be.

I'll have more to say about my experiences with that in a longer post below.

Greg in Mississippi
gstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #399
gstew
gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: HTC HD2 & One X
Cool By evening Friday, I had 896 items in my B&N bookshelf...

If it was a linear conversion, I'd have all but 6 items! YAAAYYY!

But it wasn't.

I spent time that evening and part of Saturday to create a checklist of all my Fictionwise & EReader books/mags/stories & reconcile that with the B&N bookshelf.

First, I saw 6 items in the B&N bookshelf twice.

Second, I found 4 items that I purchased from both EReader & Fictionwise... easy to do back in the day after Fictionwise had purchased EReader (Or Palm Reader or whatever it was back then) and they had much of the same stock, but two separate and uncoordinated wishlists. Of course, these only converted into one B&N bookshelf item.

Third, I found 17 F-Wise/EReader items missing. Interestingly, only one was on the Unavailable Fictionwise Titles list!!! And of course, several items I own that were on the list did convert ok.

Here's what I have missing at this time:

The Year's Best Science Fiction (2001), Gardner Dozois

Ace in the Hole [Wild Cards #6], George R.R. Martin

Aces Abroad [Wild Cards #4], George R.R. Martin

Down & Dirty [Wild Cards #5], George R.R. Martin

Jokers Wild [Wild Cards #3], George R.R. Martin

Songs of Earth and Power: The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage, Greg Bear

The Time Machine, H G. Wells

Mindbridge, Joe Haldeman

Nikko's Dream, Joe Hutsko

Science Fiction: The Best of 2003, Karen Haber

Science Fiction: The Best of 2004, Karen Haber & Jonathan Strahan

Borrowed Tides, Paul Levinson

The Consciousness Plague [Phil D'Amato Story 4], Paul Levinson

Science Fiction: The Best of 2001, Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber

Science Fiction: The Best of 2002, Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber

The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth, Roger Zelazny

A Fire Upon the Deep: Special Edition eBook, Vernor Vinge

Anyone else gotten any of these transferred? Interesting that all but 2 are EReader purchases. Also interesting that of the ones that are part of a series, only the series 'Science Fiction: The Best of NNNN' did not transfer in its entirety... all the other series, some transferred, some didn't. HUH?

Finally, with most of my bookshelves tranferred, I went through my wishlists to see what would be available on B&N. I found a number of short stories and a few longer works that are not in B&N's stock, so I did a quick purchase last night. We'll see if B&N has their act together enough to get these... or if I have to jog them. Just in case, I went through the opt-in process again and re-submitted all of my opt-in codes.

And I also had a number of back-issues of SciFi magazines on my wishlists... mainly AEon, Interzone, and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. I thought I'd go through those today and order the key ones from Fictionwise, but that was not to be! Even though they state "The last day of sales has been extended to midnight Eastern Standard Time on December 9, 2012. After December 9th, Fictionwise/eReader will no longer sell digital content." and those magazines were available on Fictionwise on Dec 8, they had cut over to pointing to only B&N stocked items by morning Dec 9 and they were gone! Hmph!

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction is available at Amazon, so I'll get them there. Anyone know where I can buy digital copies of AEon and Interzone?

All in all, for me at least and some others posting here, this is moving towards a qualified success instead of the unmitigated train wreck it was at the beginning. I sure hope everyone who wants their books transferred gets them. It would be really helpful if B&N started a thread on their forums to allow people who have issues to post them and get answers directly from the conversion team... at least that way they'd keep us somewhat informed.

I'll update later this week or when more items appear at B&N in my bookshelf, whichever comes first!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I know that the numbers of books transferred that I list don't add up... not sure where I missed something or if the B&N bookshelf count is off (it might be... it did not go up after I bought two more items there today), but at least before someone points that out, I see that too.
gstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #400
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
It looks like the email with the code came to me a couple of days ago but I didn't get on the computer until today to click on the link -- my *10* books transferred over pretty much immediately. (I didn't check it right away -- I took a couple of minutes to finish clearing out my email.)

I haven't been too concerned, since I had so few books and they are already backed up offline, but I felt like sharing a success story.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #401
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstew View Post
And I also had a number of back-issues of SciFi magazines on my wishlists... mainly AEon, Interzone, and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. I thought I'd go through those today and order the key ones from Fictionwise, but that was not to be! Even though they state "The last day of sales has been extended to midnight Eastern Standard Time on December 9, 2012. After December 9th, Fictionwise/eReader will no longer sell digital content." and those magazines were available on Fictionwise on Dec 8, they had cut over to pointing to only B&N stocked items by morning Dec 9 and they were gone! Hmph!

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction is available at Amazon, so I'll get them there. Anyone know where I can buy digital copies of AEon and Interzone?
I also ran afoul of the back issues of several magazines that I was going to purchase today, but they were unavailable. Interzone from issue 230 on are available at Sony as well as Smashwords. Fictionwise had issues of Interzone back to 220 I think, but only 230 forward are available now.

Keep in mind that the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction as available at Amazon is only for physical Kindle devices and Kindle for iOS, not Kindle for PC or Android. Which means you can't liberate and convert them. Also, from what I understand, you're limited to the current issue and 4 back issues.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #402
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Good to find the Interzone, unfortunately I'm only up to 221 from FW - so I guess 222-229 are not going to be available.

Pity
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #403
lcalvin
lcalvin began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
So, I'm a little less than a third of the way through checking my spreadsheets I pulled from fictionwise & ereader to see what made it.

I used a title sort. I'm not seeing classics like Ivanhoe, etc.
A few if the items in the count are things like font packages.

Some books on the not available list DID come through (Blue Christmas by Mary Kay Andrews & The Fortune Hunter by Diane Farr.)

A few are there but with or without a definite article. So Diane Farr's The Fortune Hunter was on the list without "The" from FW but was under The on BN.

Another book the FW/ER title was "Angel Bay- Suddenly one Summer" and on BN it became Suddenly one summer. In a few cases I know that the rights have reverted to the author.
lcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #404
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Still no code. I remembered someone else got their code right after contacting support, so I sent B&N an email. Might have been a coincidence, but I'll be traveling for the holidays soon, so I'd really like to at least get my code entered before I forget about the whole thing.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #405
salyavin
salyavin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma and Boox Nova 3
The majority of my books have transferred as of this morning. I did get a couple preordereds for the year 2035 as someone else saw. Seems most of my magazines were brought over, everything is classified as books. Even Strange Horizons made it over which kinda surprised me. I am missing some (which are of course backed up) but it is nice to see most transferred over now.
salyavin is offline   Reply With Quote