Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Warner
Warner began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Question Pocketbook 360 - Broken screen or contact problem?

Hi there!

The screen of my PB360 started to show some weird pattern:

Picture of the full screen:
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7968/pocketbook.jpg

Detail with reader OFF:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7317/pbdetail1.jpg

Detail with reader ON (not much difference):
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6365/pbdetail2.jpg

My questions are: Is the screen broken or is this more likely a contact problem (e.g., a loose pin on a connector driving the display)?

I bought the device less than 2 years ago. Is a defect like that covered by the warranty in Europe?

Thank you in advance!
Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Hi,
unfortunately it looks like a broken screen not covered by warranty anywhere on the world
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner View Post
The screen of my PB360 started to show some weird pattern:
It looks like a textbook example of broken substrate. Sorry for the bad news.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Hi,
unfortunately it looks like a broken screen not covered by warranty anywhere on the world
Aha, an expert in worldwide legislation.
Are you saying that for example after unpacking I discover a broken screen I am not entitled to a replacement?
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
No, even in this case you're not entitled. You may be lucky that the seller or Pocketbook show goodwill but you have no right. And the meanest thing is that a broken screen may take some time to show. So it may be that you unpack an obviously not broken reader, treat him like a raw egg, but after some days the breakage - that occured in the factory or during transport - will show. Unfortunately you have no right to claim an replacement.
This is one of the things where the Amazon customer support excels.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Warner

Thank you very much for your replies! At least I know, there's no possibility to fix the problem without replacing the screen

I will take a look inside and post some pictures.

Does anybody knows how much a new screen would cost? I think I can replace it myself.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some time ago I read something about 120$ in the US shops, maybe cheaper at home. Best to contact Forkosigan, I think the screen for my 602 was around 60€ but not sure anymore because it was an insurance case
Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
No, even in this case you're not entitled. You may be lucky that the seller or Pocketbook show goodwill but you have no right.
I don't understand that part. At least in Germany, if I buy a product, unpack it and it is broken, then I have the right to ask for a replacement. No matter if it was bought online or not.

Or is this not true, because the broken screen could easily be caused by careless handling of the product?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Some time ago I read something about 120$ in the US shops, maybe cheaper at home. Best to contact Forkosigan, I think the screen for my 602 was around 60€ but not sure anymore because it was an insurance case
Thank you! 60 € seems OK, so I hope it's about the same for the 360. I will contact him.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
Forget replacement, warranties, forget even the PB brand.

I had a PB 360 for less than 2 months and the screen broke. I tried everything with Pocketbook, but never got anything from them, not even a "we are sorry".

So I trashed it (took the loss like a man), and bought a Nook Color. End of story.

Now you can buy a Nook Simple Touch (around $70 US) for less than the cost of replacing your screen. So go for it. And forget the Pocketbook brand. Is not worth it, specially for the price they sell their devices.
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post

I had a PB 360 for less than 2 months and the screen broke. I tried everything with Pocketbook, but never got anything from them, not even a "we are sorry".
Well, a screen does not have a life of its own, so there has to be a reason for the damage ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post

As it seems, I will have to look for a new reader as well.

The problem is: I don't have the slightest idea how or when the screen broke. I handled it with care all the time. Let's hope the next reader will survive the cruel thing I do to him: reading.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
I think I can replace it myself.
this is not possible generally. each new display comes with a specific "code". the code must be entered into the firmware of the device when the display is swapped in order for the display to function properly. it is not just plug and play
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #14
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
As it seems, I will have to look for a new reader as well.

The problem is: I don't have the slightest idea how or when the screen broke. I handled it with care all the time.
The bad thing about this screens is that a damage doesn't show up immediately after the incident, there may be a lag of some hours to days.
And reasons for broken screens are multiple, in the last year I've read about cats sitting on it, toddlers banging their head with the reader or similar unlikely events.
Unfortunately but understandable all companies refuse to replace broken screens under warranty, only Amazon replaces them sometimes (but also not always) and only under special circumstances.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I was reading my 360+ during a flight and I put it away during take-off. Because I would just pick it up again after a few minutes I didn't put the plastic cover back and just inserted id in the leather pouch. When I took it out I kind of grabbed it by the screen. It isn't damaged (at least not yet) but I might not be so lucky next time.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen broken warranty