Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Dear Amazon, I am VERY annoyed that...

...searching for and clicking on the GOOGLE android market link in the Silk browser takes me to the Amazon app store. This is overly intrusive, imo.

Last edited by gweminence; 11-22-2011 at 04:02 PM.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
...searching for and clicking on the GOOGLE android market link takes me to the Amazon app store. This is overly intrusive, imo.
Yeah and if you try to download certain apks from Silk it does this too and tells you it's not in the app store. I have to use Opera to get the downloads.

There seems to be very little file association on the Fire. Mp3 wonts download through Silk and Mobi books wont open in Kindle unless you use File Expert.

We need some fixes.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Mobi books wont open in Kindle unless you use File Expert.
Really? I don't think I've had this problem - loaded several mobi books right to the Books folder, open with the reader app no problem. Or am I talking about something else.

As for any other contributions to the "Dear Amazon, I'm annoyed that..." thread, I think my list is long enough, and well enough detailed in my amazon.com review, that I don't think repeating it here would be wise or helpful.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Really? I don't think I've had this problem - loaded several mobi books right to the Books folder, open with the reader app no problem. Or am I talking about something else.

As for any other contributions to the "Dear Amazon, I'm annoyed that..." thread, I think my list is long enough, and well enough detailed in my amazon.com review, that I don't think repeating it here would be wise or helpful.
When you sideload other then via USB, Mobi books wont appear unless you restart the Kindle or use File Expert to open them.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yeah and if you try to download certain apks from Silk it does this too and tells you it's not in the app store. I have to use Opera to get the downloads.

There seems to be very little file association on the Fire. Mp3 wonts download through Silk and Mobi books wont open in Kindle unless you use File Expert.

We need some fixes.
At least we have alternative solutions and Amazon seems content to allow us our alternative solutions.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-22-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
At least we have alternative solutions and Amazon seems content to allow us our alternative solutions.
Amazon has started taking Apps down that might be beneficial in rooting to bypassing their own store....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Amazon has started taking Apps down that might be beneficial in rooting to bypassing their own store....
They have? Which apps do you know? I know they blocked some apps but have they removed them completely?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
They have? Which apps do you know? I know they blocked some apps but have they removed them completely?
He probably meant "blocked".
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Ill find the link that I saw....B right back...

"I had to make a second version because Amazon decided to block apps from their Appstore that help with rooting/ installing the Android Market. The kicker is that the apps that are 'blocked' appear on any other device except the Kindle Fire. It makes sense though since Amazon wants you to use all of their services"
huskermania..(I cant seem to imbed the video) Its Huskermania on Youtube....

Last edited by Cpl Punishment; 11-22-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Ill find the link that I saw....B right back...

"I had to make a second version because Amazon decided to block apps from their Appstore that help with rooting/ installing the Android Market. The kicker is that the apps that are 'blocked' appear on any other device except the Kindle Fire. It makes sense though since Amazon wants you to use all of their services"
huskermania..(I cant seem to imbed the video) Its Huskermania on Youtube....
Thanks! I found it. I can understand them blocking rooting apps from the Fire though as well as reader apps. They are trying to protect themselves. As long as they don't block sideloading I am okay with it.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
When you sideload other then via USB, Mobi books wont appear unless you restart the Kindle or use File Expert to open them.
Oh, you're talking about sending via wifi or something? Or downloading a mobi directly via the browser?

It works fine via USB so I think it's clear that Amazon didn't have an nefarious intent, but I agree it should appear automatically in books regardless of how you get it in to the folder.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Oh, you're talking about sending via wifi or something? Or downloading a mobi directly via the browser?

It works fine via USB so I think it's clear that Amazon didn't have an nefarious intent, but I agree it should appear automatically in books regardless of how you get it in to the folder.
If you sideload with Dropbox, WiFi or LAN. Basically anything but USB the mobi files just sits there till you restart the Fire. This needs to fixed. Like a refresh button added.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
...searching for and clicking on the GOOGLE android market link in the Silk browser takes me to the Amazon app store. This is overly intrusive, imo.
LOL, I tried this too and thought WTF. But for me it was like, eh, whatever.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Ohh, I ran across the google market app, downloaded it to my dropbox account and picked it up and installed it on my Fire. Thought I was soooo smart. But it won't launch.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

You need to install framework for that it needs to be rooted.