Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Where is the Download Clicker for Calibre Linux

Hi
I have spent hours reading Calibre posts and get more and more confused.
OK:

Under "Get Calibre" I see 3 Big Clicker buttons,
One for Windows, One for Mac, and One for Linux.
And each of them is, "Clickable".

Now for the Windows and for the Mac, there are clicker buttons before the

"Changelog", but before the Linux Changleog, nothing is clickable.

And when (further down) I paste that line of code into a terminal, I am asked to delete a directory.

So Calibre remains an arcane mystery to me...

Regards

John

It would be really nice to see a simple "How-To" for this program.

(I'm taking it that the program is as impressive as what I read, but I'll believe it when I see it)
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Windows and Mac distributions are monolithic distributions so you download them and run the appropriate setup.

On linux you run the specified command in a terminal window and that does the install. If it is failing for you, you need to give more details of the error message, and also specify what linux distribution/version you are trying to use.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The Windows and Mac distributions are monolithic distributions so you download them and run the appropriate setup.

On linux you run the specified command in a terminal window and that does the install. If it is failing for you, you need to give more details of the error message, and also specify what linux distribution/version you are trying to use.
thanks... I get the following message when I paste and run the command into the terminal:

Quote:
andavane@IBM-ThinkCentre:~$ sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"
[sudo] password for andavane:
Enter the installation directory for calibre (Its contents will be deleted!)[/opt/calibre]:
Regards

John
Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That looks fine - it is just asking you where to install Calibre. Simply pressing enter will accept the default. It is also saying any existing content of that folder (if any) will first be deleted.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
That looks fine - it is just asking you where to install Calibre. Simply pressing enter will accept the default. It is also saying any existing content of that folder (if any) will first be deleted.
Yes indeed, Sir!
That's all you need to do, and away she goes!

I think it would be a nice touch to add "Just press enter if you're happy with the directory", or something.

Calibre looks to be a nice piece of kit

Regards

John
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
tbaac
tbaac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Does anyone know what has happened with the Linux install instructions for Calibre?

I use Kubuntu, and previously there was a command to enter to apt-get the dependencies, one to do the installation and one to do the post install.

Now that seems to have gone. Is this method no longer supported?

Apologies if I have failed to read this somewhere. Thanks.
tbaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaac View Post
Are you sure? I think it has always been a python thing.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaac View Post
Does anyone know what has happened with the Linux install instructions for Calibre?

I use Kubuntu, and previously there was a command to enter to apt-get the dependencies, one to do the installation and one to do the post install.

Apologies if I have failed to read this somewhere. Thanks.
yeah i dont support that method any longer since there are very few distros that provide the needed dependencies. I suggest switching to the binary installer. The

sudo easy_install -U calibre

will still work, but you're on your own when it comes to dependencies.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
tbaac
tbaac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Thanks for that. I wondered if maybe I'd gone to the wrong web page or something.

Presumably the binary install is the way to go now? Is the source install only as a last resort?

Oh, btw you mention Jaunty Jackalope as a supported distribution. Isn't it a bit early to support that one? (It being released in April iirc). Is (K)Ubuntu 8.10 no longer supporter officially?

Last edited by tbaac; 02-18-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Pedantry, sorry.
tbaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are now five ways to install calibre in linux

1. Distribution packages
2. Binary installer
3. Download the source tarball and all depedencies and do a source install
4. Checkout from version control and do a source install
5. Use easy_install -U calibre

Of these only the first four are recommended. Which method you choose depends on various factors, like your familiarity with linux, whether your system is 64bit or not, etc. Basically start with the one you're most comfortable with and if it doesn't work, try the others.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There are now five ways to install calibre in linux

1. Distribution packages
2. Binary installer....Basically start with the one you're most comfortable with and if it doesn't work, try the others.
Did hear somewhere that it might be finding its way into the synaptic package manager?
Regards
John
Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
Did hear somewhere that it might be finding its way into the synaptic package manager?
Regards
John
there are already deb packages for Jaunty jackalop available for calibre
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
jbicha
jbicha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
It is very nice that calibre is now in the Ubuntu Jaunty repository. Kovid is continually improving calibre, so that version is not going to be up-to-date. The change in recommended installation for Linux threw me off at the beginning too. But now it's pretty simple, just "sudo apt-get help2man xdg-utils" & then run the fancy installer. I like that the new installer has a progress tracker for downloading calibre...that's very useful to know that the thing is actually working.

The Linux installer would work on Fedora, right? I haven't got around to trying since my Fedora is broken anyway right now.
jbicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It should.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
jbicha
jbicha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Yes, calibre installs fine on Fedora also.

Finally figured out how to install Fedora properly from USB using the DVD image.
jbicha is offline   Reply With Quote