Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you encourage or discourage your friend from buying Onyx Boox M90?
I would encourage a friend to buy the device 3 10.34%
I don't know / I'm confused / I'd wait 9 31.03%
I would discourage a friend from buying the device 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #31
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Is there anything that this device does it well?
When I tried the device in a store, I really really really liked how the "remove margins" fucntion worked on the few pdf's I tried, it was flawless.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #32
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
When I tried the device in a store, I really really really liked how the "remove margins" fucntion worked on the few pdf's I tried, it was flawless.
You can spend 400$ to get Adobe Acrobat for that... :-))
You can have that for less if you want. For instance ezpdf reader (android application) does that for 5$ at most!
Spend the rest to get a tablet...

To be honest with you I would buy this in an instant if there would be anybody who ported Android to this...
Perhaps the best bet is to start putting money together and let's hire a programmer to port Android to this. That would be the only way to recuperate your loss
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #33
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
You can get that for free by running your pdf file through either briss or k2pdfopt.

I was just pointing that this device does something really well.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #34
gr650
gr650 doesn't littergr650 doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
You can get that for free by running your pdf file through either briss or k2pdfopt.
Removing margins also works using pdfcrop.
gr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #35
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
I stumbled across an interesting post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
The Chinese lady [from Onyx China] over the phone openly admitted that M90 has tons of design flaws, mostly hardware. I supposed after the launch of M92, they are very likely to abandon M90 gradually and phase out firmware upgrading. She said new M92 comes with 1.6.1 firmware already while M90 still stuck with 1.5.1. The discrepancy of firmware is already there.
For completeness also a response by Onyx Europe representative to my question I asked some time ago regarding support for previous devices once the new one comes to the marked:

Quote:
Of course all the customer support for all these products will remain after releasing a new product.

Last edited by machinogodzilla; 12-02-2011 at 05:56 AM.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #36
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The very first Onyx reader was the Boox 60, and Onyx is still maintaining its firmware. They did not drop support yet for any model they made. So from that perspective there is no reason to assume that they will stop upgrading firmware for the M90 very soon.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #37
Whipet
Enthusiast
Whipet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bebook 1, Onyx Boox M90
My M90 locked yesterday. The reset button did not restore it, on start-up the display just turned half black.
After multiple attempts I had to resort to reloading the firmware (SD card, hold right button on start-up).
It seems often to occur with a lowish battery (1 or 2 bars).
Whipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #38
gr650
gr650 doesn't littergr650 doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipet View Post
My M90 locked yesterday. The reset button did not restore it, on start-up the display just turned half black.
After multiple attempts I had to resort to reloading the firmware (SD card, hold right button on start-up).
It seems often to occur with a lowish battery (1 or 2 bars).
That's a known issue (one of them). If the battery of my M90 gets fairly discharged, there's trouble booting the device. No need to re-flash the firmware, though, just a night's hookup to the charger and then it works as if it never had any trouble. Sad but true.
gr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #39
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr650 View Post
That's a known issue (one of them). If the battery of my M90 gets fairly discharged, there's trouble booting the device. No need to re-flash the firmware, though, just a night's hookup to the charger and then it works as if it never had any trouble. Sad but true.
And the sad thing about this is that the battery seems to last about 24-48 hours. I am charging it constantly.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #40
ssdb
Enthusiast
ssdb began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
And the sad thing about this is that the battery seems to last about 24-48 hours. I am charging it constantly.
I am too. It's got worse with the latest firmware update, I'm sure. I can charge it up, turn it on and within 10 minutes it'll lose a bar on the power meter. Unless I power down completely after use the battery will drain down which it shouldn't do - as I understand it E-ink doesn't use any power unless the screen changes, so why it drains down so quickly when there is no usage is a mystery.

The battery life of the device is the biggest let down, as far as I'm concerned.
I don't get any other major problems or crashes although it does sometimes drop out of a book to the menu.
ssdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #41
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdb View Post
I am too. It's got worse with the latest firmware update, I'm sure. I can charge it up, turn it on and within 10 minutes it'll lose a bar on the power meter. Unless I power down completely after use the battery will drain down which it shouldn't do - as I understand it E-ink doesn't use any power unless the screen changes, so why it drains down so quickly when there is no usage is a mystery.

The battery life of the device is the biggest let down, as far as I'm concerned.
I don't get any other major problems or crashes although it does sometimes drop out of a book to the menu.
The "mystery battery hog" must be the digitizer. I have the same problem on my Irex DR800 (which has a WACOM digitizer), if I turn the screen off and don't use it for a while the battery will still be empty after about 5 days.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #42
ssdb
Enthusiast
ssdb began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The "mystery battery hog" must be the digitizer. I have the same problem on my Irex DR800 (which has a WACOM digitizer), if I turn the screen off and don't use it for a while the battery will still be empty after about 5 days.
I think it's the M91 that doesn't have a WACOM digitizer; it'd be interesting to compare the two devices, to see whether the battery usage is the same.

One of the main reasons I got an E-Ink device was the battery life (and they are easier on the eyes compared to normal electronic screens), and I find it annoying that the M90 loses power like this.
ssdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #43
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdb View Post
I think it's the M91 that doesn't have a WACOM digitizer; it'd be interesting to compare the two devices, to see whether the battery usage is the same.

One of the main reasons I got an E-Ink device was the battery life (and they are easier on the eyes compared to normal electronic screens), and I find it annoying that the M90 loses power like this.
Actually Boox is using a Chinese WACOM copy (as far as I know), not the real thing. But the principle is the same.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #44
thomas01155
Enthusiast
thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Europe View Post
Dear PF4Mobile,
As you may know we are a European distributor for the Onyx Boox M90/M91S and M92 models.
We are also really frustrated that Onyx International comes with a device that has a faulty firmware. Every day we try to push their engineers!
Please understand we want a product that works perfectly, and want all our customers to be satisfied!
Thank you for your public admittance of problems with the firmware.
thomas01155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #45
BCotton
Connoisseur
BCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90, Sony PRS-300, PB360+, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I stopped leaving the device on standby and the battery now lasts a very long time. So maybe it is a problem with the digitizer like HansTWN suggested. It is a hassle to shutdown every time but I havent charged the device in over 10 days. I use it only a little over an hour every day but it is still over 5000 page turns, the longest it has lasted on a single charge.

Last edited by BCotton; 12-20-2011 at 01:10 AM.
BCotton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx boox m90 buy