Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I really need to get to the store and get the two year Apple Care warrenty. With two dogs and a baby coming I can see a broken IPad. $50 to replace it plus the $99 fee makes sense to me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #32
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Used a screen protector for a year on an ipad1, complete waste of time in my opinion. Two ipad 2's and a 3 in this house, none with screen protectors (nor on the ipad1), no problems at all. We always use hard gel back for all devices, protects the back and makes them easier to hold. Can't see the point in front covers, they're just something to get in the way that you need to open up each time you want to use them. Unless you keep your ipad in a bag along with hammers and nails, I suppose...
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #33
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My covers here. Sitting in a box that my husband refuses to hide somewhere, tempting me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #34
zhanzr
zhanzr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I used to wear all my digital products with a plastic and transparent protector. However, I removed all of them last week. Now all my PSP, iPAD, mobile Phone, notebook, kindle Touch don't have the screen protectors.

In my opinion, my first priority should be to protect my soft and vulnerable eyes, not the rigid and robust glass.
zhanzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #35
stanleystarrh
Banned
stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's a must to protect your item. It isn't worth it to get scratches when you could've spent that 20$ or less to keep it in mint condition.
stanleystarrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #36
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I absolutely detest screen protectors. Everyone and their grandmothers have an iPhone, and majority of them with screen protectors that basically mess up the brilliance of the screen.

I only use a decal to protect the back and to make it look pretty, and every now and then I'd get people exclaiming at how awesome my screen looks. I HAVE THE SAME PHONE AS YOU PEOPLE, STOP COVERING IT UP WITH ANTI-GLARE OR WHATHAVEYOUs.

Get a proper cover or casing for the back because it scratches quite easily. With the iPad especially with its large real estate, an anti-glare sheet might give you some privacy when you are commuting, but you lose brilliance of colour and image to yourself at the edges sometimes.

I had an iPhone 3G for 3 years. There were some minor scratches on the screen but I was abusing it so much, the back was basically scarred from the many things in my bag because I just throw it in. It also survived a trip into a toilet bowl; no water marks beneath the screen and all. (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Sorry I sound ranty, but I love the screen and it's a travesty to cover it up. Just don't assume the screen will not shatter into many pieces, because it will. But the screen protecter will not prevent that, only a proper case would.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #37
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
I would usually opt for an anti-fingerprint screen protector, but then that reduces the quality you get from the screen. I heard there was a screenprotector being developed that prevents fingerprints but also allows you to clearly see the screen behind it. I wonder what happened to that
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #38
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
I would usually opt for an anti-fingerprint screen protector, but then that reduces the quality you get from the screen. I heard there was a screenprotector being developed that prevents fingerprints but also allows you to clearly see the screen behind it. I wonder what happened to that
Much easier to just tuck a spectacle cloth into the inside pocket of your case, and swipe the screen now and then.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #39
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Much easier to just tuck a spectacle cloth into the inside pocket of your case, and swipe the screen now and then.
I suppose it differs from person to person, but in my experience, I would usually end up replacing a screen protector in 6 months or less. That is because the screen protector gets scratched up by then by an unforeseen even or accident or just carelessness. Looking it that scratch scares me to think that it might have been the actual glass that was scratched if I didn't put in a protector.

Having a very clean screen free of scratches is also a great plus when you plan to sell your device in the future.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #40
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I can only conclude that your plastic screen protectors are far easier to scratch than the screens - and if I were selling them, I'd probably deliberately make them easy to scratch!

I chuck my iPhone in a pocket, purse, whatever, and the screen is still lovely. It's a 3GS, bought shortly after they first come out, so that's ...nearly three years? The iPad (original) is in a case, but no screen protector (why bother if it's in a case?), and again the glass is perfect. But I guess you'll never believe until you try, and if you'll never try, you'll just have to take our word for it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #41
Delotte231
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I can only conclude that your plastic screen protectors are far easier to scratch than the screens - and if I were selling them, I'd probably deliberately make them easy to scratch!

I chuck my iPhone in a pocket, purse, whatever, and the screen is still lovely. It's a 3GS, bought shortly after they first come out, so that's ...nearly three years? The iPad (original) is in a case, but no screen protector (why bother if it's in a case?), and again the glass is perfect. But I guess you'll never believe until you try, and if you'll never try, you'll just have to take our word for it.
I feel what you're saying. I really do. Many times I wanted to remove that screen protector. I have concluded that it is a psychological dependance that reduces the anxiety I have towards having a scratched up screen. I am aware that my device has Gorilla Glass, so it should be as scratchproof as the ads say, and I tell myself that, but still, I feel anxious.

Maybe one day I can get rid of that screen protector like you say.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #42
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
Sometimes the screen protector is a bit of a pain because it can create bubbles (at least with my iPod it did) and eventually it may fall off after some time. But in the mean time it's a great investment, much better then getting scratches or a cracked screen.
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #43
turntherage
turntherage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
My personal take on this issue is that a good iPad cover can function the way you would want a screen protector to, and it much more worth the investment. My iPad case protects my device from drops (link) and also acts as a smart cover ensuring that the screen is protected when I am not using the iPad. The guy at the Mac store even told me that many screen protectors make it so that the covers won't fit. I am pretty sure I made the right call...
turntherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #44
Delotte231
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntherage View Post
My personal take on this issue is that a good iPad cover can function the way you would want a screen protector to, and it much more worth the investment. My iPad case protects my device from drops (link) and also acts as a smart cover ensuring that the screen is protected when I am not using the iPad. The guy at the Mac store even told me that many screen protectors make it so that the covers won't fit. I am pretty sure I made the right call...
Not quite. Screen protectors only cover the screen and is a thin film of plastic or silicon. It does not interfere with cases unless the case itself encompasses the part of the screen. I think he was referring to protectors like the invisi shield that covers not only the screen but also the back and the sides of the device, making the device thicker than it actually is making form fitted back covers unable to fit