Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Cortex A8 based android tablets is what really is needed, giving these thing some needed additional CPU power, and it looks like some of the first ones will be shipping soon with Android 2.1. (Of course if they take much longer they might be bumped to 2.2 by the time they actually do ship... as various online retailers that are listing some of these keep sliding the shipping dates back...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 AM   #17
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
What really annoys me is that every Android tablet I've seen uses a resistive touch screen. Where are the tablets with capacitive touch? I don't want to use a stylus.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
You CAN use your finger on a resistive screen! How ever did yo, u get that idea? You can use anything. The only time I use a stylus on my phone is when I want to click on a link in the browser. Try hitting one of 2 links next to each other on a capacitive screen! Usually you have to zoom in. Late generation resistive screens actually were pretty good and unjustly maligned. Resistive screens are much more accurate and you don't need a special pen for them.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #19
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
There's even a Windows 7 model featuring: Intel Atom450 160GB Web Cam.
Attachment 55247
Wow, this thing is very versatile, but can it cut the grass (for those with lawns )

p.s. do you think they make an iOS4 model
That one looks interesting. It sure is powerful (computing wise, read atom450). But Win 7 performance on that will affect battery to a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Actually, the real key will be Android 3, which will revamp Android's UI and will make it more palatable to a wider range of users.

I personally have fairly high expectations from Duarte, the Palm UI guy who was snatched by Google recently.
Yes, Gingerbread(android 3.0) sure is keeping everyone on their toes, I hope it's really that good.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #20
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You CAN use your finger on a resistive screen! How ever did yo, u get that idea? You can use anything. The only time I use a stylus on my phone is when I want to click on a link in the browser. Try hitting one of 2 links next to each other on a capacitive screen! Usually you have to zoom in. Late generation resistive screens actually were pretty good and unjustly maligned. Resistive screens are much more accurate and you don't need a special pen for them.
Yes, you can use your finger on a resistive screen, but it's not an enjoyable experience. Resistive screens require you to press, not just touch. Compare the sensitivity (not accuracy -- that doesn't matter when you're talking about touch targets the size of a fingertip) of your resistive-touch phone to any capacitive touch phone (iPhone, modern Android phones, etc) and then try to tell me that resistive is superior.

For a touch-centric device, the only reason you should not use a capacitive screen is if you're targeting the super low end and simply can't afford a capacitive touch screen. Anything else, especially if it's $300+, is just dumb.

I believe the Dell Streak is capacitive touch, but it's a bit small. I haven't seen any 7-10" Android tablets with capacitive touch yet.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Yes, you can use your finger on a resistive screen, but it's not an enjoyable experience. Resistive screens require you to press, not just touch. Compare the sensitivity (not accuracy -- that doesn't matter when you're talking about touch targets the size of a fingertip) of your resistive-touch phone to any capacitive touch phone (iPhone, modern Android phones, etc) and then try to tell me that resistive is superior.

For a touch-centric device, the only reason you should not use a capacitive screen is if you're targeting the super low end and simply can't afford a capacitive touch screen. Anything else, especially if it's $300+, is just dumb.

I believe the Dell Streak is capacitive touch, but it's a bit small. I haven't seen any 7-10" Android tablets with capacitive touch yet.
I guess you are thinking about resistive screens from 3-4 years back. Yes, on my very old phones you needed pressure. But now I am comparing the Iphone 3G to my Touch Pro2 and the pressure needed on the Touch Pro2 is so slight that you really hardly notice it. And scrolling is very smooth, too. Anyway, marketing power has spoken, and resistive screens are about to disappear, but I honestly believe that resistive screens could be just as good. You can even use a software add-on multi touch.

Of course, on a 10.1" screen everything is so big that you will need a pen for handwritten notes only -- and then accuracy is important.

Yes, the Streak is capacitive touch. It is a great size for a phone, the maximum pocketable, but a really small tablet. 7" and 10" versions are in the works.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #22
toddos
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I guess you are thinking about resistive screens from 3-4 years back. Yes, on my very old phones you needed pressure. But now I am comparing the Iphone 3G to my Touch Pro2 and the pressure needed on the Touch Pro2 is so slight that you really hardly notice it. And scrolling is very smooth, too. Anyway, marketing power has spoken, and resistive screens are about to disappear, but I honestly believe that resistive screens could be just as good. You can even use a software add-on multi touch.
I did that exact same comparison (my iPhone 3GS vs. a friend's Touch Pro2 vs. my girlfriend's HTC Incredible), and I had to use a significant amount of pressure just to unlock his phone. When I swipe on the iPhone or Incredible to unlock, I'm barely touching the device. While it may be true that the amount of pressure needed for current generation resistive screens is less than older screens, it's still a lot more than what's needed on capacitive touch.

I wouldn't say it's marketing that won, but just a better technology overall (also more expensive, but I'm willing to pay for it).

Quote:
Yes, the Streak is capacitive touch. It is a great size for a phone, the maximum pocketable, but a really small tablet. 7" and 10" versions are in the works.
See, I don't need another phone. I have a good phone. I want a tablet, and 5" is on the brink of being too small. The Streak 7 looks better, but it's still not official (only leaked). I guess I have to wait another 6 months before there'll be any decent Android tablets.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 AM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I guess I have to wait another 6 months before there'll be any decent Android tablets.
There is hope something will come out in time for the Christmas holiday season, everybody will try to get things out before then.

As to resistive, capacitive screens we will just have to agree to disagree. Perhaps the screens vary in pressure needed? Anyway, I still like the accuracy and the ability to use anything as a pointing device. And there are other issues -- what about places where they have real winters (not that we have any here)? You will need special gloves just to answer your phone. Women can't use capacitive screens with long, fake fingernails. A pen is much better for handwriting input for Chinese, for example.

However, all moot points, resistive screens will be gone before we know it.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-21-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
This particular 10" Android 2.1 tablet employs resistive touch: http://cgi.ebay.ca/10-1-Google-Andro...ht_3002wt_1436
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #25
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Although I started this thread only a few days, ago, prices are already dropping, a little.

Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.ca/10-1-Google-Andro...ht_3002wt_1436

(I am not endorsing this model or this vendor; for discussion purposes only.)

It's resistive touch, 1024x600 16:9 screen, 5000 mAH battery (abt double the norm), but 220 v charger. It's also entirely possible the specs are wrong. I am thinking that within 2, 3, 6 or 10 weeks we will see some further dramatic changes in specs. This is already a much more interesting model than could be had, for around the same price, as recently as May.

None of these units appear to exceed 2GB onboard storage. Modest improvements in screen resolution, and possibly capacitive vs resistive touch, and something closer to 64 GB onboard storage, eventually with 3G options in addition to wifi, will make for much more compelling units. One has to think these variations aren't very far away.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 07-24-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: additional commentary
Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #26
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
SP - I read through the ebay ad and found this:
Quote:
I'm not sure what the differences are, but it looks like this pad isn't as up-to-date as we would like it to be...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
SensualPoet
Wizard

Yes, and some say Android 2.1 optional (you have to load yourself) and others offer Windows CE by default. It's definitely a little ways off yet for the specs and offerings to stabilize. This linked unit is among the handsomest I've seen. And just two months ago, the largest units of this class were 7".
Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #28
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Cortex A8 based android tablets is what really is needed, giving these thing some needed additional CPU power, and it looks like some of the first ones will be shipping soon with Android 2.1. (Of course if they take much longer they might be bumped to 2.2 by the time they actually do ship... as various online retailers that are listing some of these keep sliding the shipping dates back...)
Geez, blink and you'd miss it. LOL. Ok, there are now tons of Android 2.1 *with* the 1 GHz A8 (aka ZT-180?) now shipping.

I'm still holding out for: built-in camera, "n" wifi not "g", a price for a model with 16 GB not 2 GB, more details on the 3G versions (appears to be a dongle), and the Android App Market extended to non-phone devices.

But, crickey! This market is changing SO quickly.

BTW, a little bird tells me there will be Android tablets from ASUS in stores next week locally. As soon as I actually see one, I'll post more details.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #29
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
Hello everyone,

Its been awhile since I've been on here and I've became interested in these andriod tablets. I found two of them and I think one of them is the same one your talking about. Let me know.

http://www.ownta.com/cpad-mid-and-um....1-system.html

http://davismicro.com/products/product_22353.htm

Let me know what you guys think. PS: Sensual did you receive one these yet? If so can't wait for the review
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Well, at least at ebay if you do a search "10 android 2.1 tablet". These babies look a lot like the 7" MID devices that were selling for $140ish six weeks ago (they're as low as $49 now).
Could you please post a link where are they at $49 now?
spec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 inch, android, ipad alternative, tablet