Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Question SOLVED Treat each line as a paragraph in LIT files

Hello all,

I'm trying to convert some lit files I have.

For some reason, each lit file has each paragraph as one long line. (like a lot of text files do).

I'm trying to convert these to epub, and choose the option "treat each line as paragraph" but it appears this option isn't listed for conversion from lit to epub.

So I tried to convert each lit to txt and then to epub, but that didn't work either.
Anybody ever have this issue? And if so, how did you resolve it.

thx

Last edited by tulsa; 03-21-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: solved
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What is going wrong with the output? You would normally want each line to be treated as a paragraph with reflowable text? I though this was standard behavior with a LIT file?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

When I open the lit file in the viewer, each paragraph is one long line. Like word wrap is off or something.

Output to epub looks exactly the same.
Did I accidentally disable a word-wrap feature in the viewer or something? I looked but didn't see such a thing. ??
Old 03-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take a look at the ePub in ADE or Reader Library and you'll see if there is something wrong or not.

If something is still wrong, have a look at the CSS/XML files and you'll see what's going on and may be able to fix it fairly easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take a look at the ePub in ADE or Reader Library and you'll see if there is something wrong or not.

If something is still wrong, have a look at the CSS/XML files and you'll see what's going on and may be able to fix it fairly easily.
heh.. I use Ubuntu..
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77014

However, I've got vmware pretty much working, I'll email myself the file and try in a virtual Vista install.
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
tulsa
Zealot

well, first, I think I'll upload it into my Sony 900 and see what it looks like. Maybe the calibre viewer isn't viewing it correctly...
Old 03-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Ok, I opened the resulting epub in Reader Library and all the paragraphs are on one line, just like in the Calibre viewer.
Same thing happens in my Sony 900.

In both cases the text is simply cut off, it skips a line (as in a paragraph) and then starts the next paragraph on one line.

weird..
I also tried to copy all the text from the calibre viewer and then pasting it into a regular text file, which I could then import into Calibre. Calibre can then easily "treat each line as a paragraph", but only if it's a text file. But the copy/paste procedure wouldn't work. I could copy, but not paste.

Last edited by tulsa; 03-21-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It almost sounds as if there is a <PRE> tag around the paragraph preventing text flow?

If you want to look at the ePub then I would suggest Sigil as it is an open-source multi-platform epub editor.

You can also unzip the epub file (might ahve to change the extension to .zip first) and look at its contents. The book text will be in a xhtml file.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It almost sounds as if there is a <PRE> tag around the paragraph preventing text flow?

If you want to look at the ePub then I would suggest Sigil as it is an open-source multi-platform epub editor.

You can also unzip the epub file (might ahve to change the extension to .zip first) and look at its contents. The book text will be in a xhtml file.
Ah, maybe that's it. I have Sigil installed. I'll give it a go and see what happens. thx.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
tulsa
Zealot

Ok, I'm able to fix it now.
You were right, there are <pre> tags around the entire contents of the book.
I just snagged the text between them, tossed them into a text file, imported that into Calibre treating each line as a paragraph and now have a perfect epub!

Thanks for your help!

Tags
lines, lit to epub, paragraph, text