Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #16
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi Maple,

Thanks for answering questions here!

I'm curious about the eventual release of the V2 (version 1). You said earlier that samples will be available in June. When can we expect the full release?

When the product is released, will you be selling it to customers in the US directly, or through other retailers? I hope we don't have to wait for a US company to pick up your product line; I want to buy one right away! :-)

Thanks!
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #17
canadaman
canadaman began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple
Wolf conversion platform only is available for windows OS.
What does this mean for potential Mac/Linux users? Are there plans in the works for the "V20" to extend compatibility to Mac/Linux?
canadaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #18
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
that reminds me....
when will v2 be available in China?
what about Indonesia?
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:06 AM   #19
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Hi Maple,

Thanks as well for the reply on the USB support!

I would also like to find out about availability:
1. Will it be available to other countries besides US via online purchase?
2. Will it be available to other countries via retail lines?

In particular, I'm concerned about availability in Singapore. Thanks for your time and replies.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #20
maikandre
maikandre began at the beginning.

Hi maple,

does the PDF viewer have a zoom function? So is it possible to zoom into large PDF-files like newspapers?

maikandre
maikandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2006, 01:33 AM   #21
maple
maple began at the beginning.

To Snappy, Luag: The sample of V2 will be available in June.
European market: releasing date will be Q3 of 2006. (The business of V2 in Europe is under discussion.)
Chinese market: releasing date will be Q4 of 2006.(For the target market V8 is Chinese market, V2 will be the next choice of Chinese market.)
Other Asian countries: If Jinke find the business partners, they will think to release the product there. As far as I know, they’re discussing the business with a company in Singapore, but the releasing date has not decided.

To Bingle: And now Jinke are discussing the business with some European and American companies in the cooperation of OEM, ODM and localization.

To canadaman: Jinke will think about make the Wolf conversion platform is available for other OS, but when it will be available, still no news about that.
Hanlin eBook Synchronization Software V 1.00
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/E...nter/index.asp

To maikandre: Performance: V2 has multi-level zoom function
maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #22
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm almost thinking about getting 2 ebook devices...
An Hanlin V8 for travel-purposes...small, light, with hardcover and (in comparison to irex at least) cheap. The Formats it supports should be enough for me.
HTML and .txt is enough for my uses at the moment. Books in .lit format can be converted and that just about sums up what you can get as ebook at the moment (well...there is still PDF, but the V8 can handle that as far as I know).

For reading at home and in "controllable environments" I'd like something like the Iliad...bigger screen, better screen (at least if you compare them from the pictures, the Iliad seems to be the "whitest" of the new epaper displays...maybe because the frame is black and not white like the Hanlin's?) and nice features like drawing and taking notes (you can take notes with the handlin too, but I'm not sure how well that works with the slave-display...the little review vids that are floating about don't really go into detail about the slave display...or rather..they just don't show it in action...so no idea....).

The problem is...with those 2 devices I've still got unsolved issues.
First and biggest one is: I can get alarge number of free and commercial books, but if I want to get the newest Terry Pratchett or Robert Jordan, Tom Holt or Jasper Fforde or something like that (I think you get the pictures...) I'm probably buggered...best choice there would probably be the sony...but that is one device that is seriously under-featured and over-priced. Of course you don't really need a touchscreen, a calender function, notes, etc...but the Hanlin V8 is cheaper than the Sony will be (as far as we can tell) and has these features...so...well...no deal.
The other thing is, that to get a Hanlin device, I'd have to order it from China. No problemo, but first of all i can't even find an "online shop" or anything, then I'd probably have to pay almost as much transport-cost than I'd pay for the device, then customs and import VAT...and probably end up paying well over 300Euro for a device that i'm actually considering since it's the cheapest and weakest (processor and OS wise) device on the market. This is just weird...call that globalization? And what if there is some damage during transport or the device is Dead on Arrival? No end of trouble I'd guess...

Well...enough ranting...I'm not sure anymore where I wanted to go with this post...maybe it'll come back to me later and I'll let you know...

Oh by the way...I've taken another look a the V8 manual...not a bad device at all features-wise...I wonder how that 48Mhz processor manages to handle that so well...and what is going to be so different in V2 that it needs 4 times as much processing power...does Linux eat so many resources?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #23
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I just downloaded the Wolf-Reader and creator software for pc...the creator works ok for me, but I could not try the book because the Viewer software always pops up an error

"I can't load the resource DLL"

No idea which DLL, it does not say.
i installed, restarted windows and everything, but to no avail...can you sehd some light on this maple? maybe tell me which DLL this could be?
Thanks.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #24
luag
Zealot

hm...is there any way i can get a sample of v2? ^^;

i am really interested

and i personally think Jinke should release v2 faster...imo releasing v2 late (q3-q4) could make it lose some momentum.
(Sony: q2, iRex: q2)

Last edited by luag; 03-28-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #25
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

sorry for posting in here yet again...
Do we have any members from China in here (apart from maple of course)?
Because it would be fairly cool to have someone there who can talk about streetprice in China and maybe do a little review...anyone?

I've got collegues here at the university who hail from China originally...but I'm not so sure whether I'd be able to ask them to "jet over to their original home and pick up a gadget for me..."
^^
Old 03-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #26
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'd love to hear more about the Jinke models, too. The iRex is too bloated for me, plus I cannot afford the $600+ price tag right now.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #27
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I could afford it...although it'd eat away most of this month's earnings...but i'd be a bit afraid of taking such an expensive device with me wherever I go...which is an elementary part of books in my opinion...
However..i'm having problems with the wolf-software....wolf printer aborts at 99% and wolf viewer does not work...so maybe that could be a problem.
My windows is not in an optimal state at the moment...so that could be part of the reason.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:01 AM   #28
maple
maple began at the beginning.

To CommanderROR

The current version of Wolf printer can't support the PC with 64 bits CPU.
Jinke’s staff are making the improvement of the software, they will release the new version soon.
maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:21 AM   #29
luag
Zealot

hi maple, im a little bit confused

Here's Jinke's previous answer to ComanderROR (in other thread):
Quote:
<Here is their reply:
Thank you for your message.We'd like to answer your questions firstly.
What can you do with the Slave display?
A: The slave display is used for the interactive functions, such as keyboard, search, PDA etc.
Will your device accept Sony Connect-Store Books?
A: No
When will you start selling the V2 in China and when in Germany? Who will distribute the Hanlin V2 in Germany?
A: V2 will be sold in China in June. And the date of releasing in Germany will depend on the situation of our discussion with local agents. Now we’re discussing the business.
The picture of V8 on our Chinese website are all real.And we’ll post the “real life” picture of V8 on our English website soon, thank you for your advice.
and you said "samples" will be available in June....so my question is: are those "samples" for sale?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #30
luag
Zealot

i sent an email to my uncle in xiamen about hanlin, and he just replied that he couldnt find the device on the electronic market...where can he ask about the device in xiamen?