Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
jetBook Firmware v0.33g patch 13

Firmware v0.33g patch 13 is ready for download now, in a self-extracting .exe.

http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade.php

I just installed it with no problem. At first sight there are no major changes. What I've observed after playing around a bit are the following:

- The same ebook formats: txt, rtf, mobi, prc, epub, pdf, etc.
- Overall operations less sluggish
- Dictionaries work on all formats (except pdfs).
- English-English dictyionary is still a joke!
- Moving dictionary cursor around faster than last firmware
- New paragraphs in txts now showing (unlike last firmware where all paragraphs were joined as one)
- Still ignoring and deleting empty lines (which is really annoying)
- Still big empty space at the end of each page (this started on last firmware but not on v030i where no empty—and precious—space was left)
- No clock on title bar!

That's what I've observed so far. It seems like a more polished version of the last firmware. Please post your impressions if you notice any other changes. BTW, why can't Ectaco just post a change-log???

Thanks.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I'll repost my impressions from another thread:

Here are my observations--

Improvements:
-TXT bug fixed
-Remnants of the 'y' in 'By Author' gone
-Definitely faster throughout

Things that still aren't working as expected:
-Text from books doesn't take the entire screen. In non-PDF files, there's a progress bar on the right-side of the screen. It doesn't extend to the bottom of the screen and neither does the text!
-Justification settings still aren't sticking for me. Quickest way to change it to full justify is to type 6, 4, 2, in an eBook. Menus are still a bit slow, even though the overall speed is faster as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know whether jetBook uses FBReader?

Bottomline: It seems like some of the bugs from 33c have been ironed out and this version would be worth using if you are still on 30i. ePUB support is much better.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Kralik, I don't know what to tell you about your justification problem. I have no problems with that setting sticking.

As for the progress bar along the right, I thought it was always there, even with the older firmware. It is very thin and doesn't take up much space. I rather like it. I could do without the percentage figure that got added to the titlebar, however. I would rather see more of the title displayed.

There is a margin at the top and bottom. The text of an ebook doesn't display in these margins. However, these margins are always less than one line height (plus leading between lines). So, there is no room to display another line of text, unless you cut off the bottom of a line. These margins do change size, depending on the font size you have selected.

I guess the ideal solution would be for Ectaco to allow the user to turn all of these features on or off, as desired. The Windows version of FBReader allows this level of customization.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Kralik, I don't know what to tell you about your justification problem. I have no problems with that setting sticking.

As for the progress bar along the right, I thought it was always there, even with the older firmware. It is very thin and doesn't take up much space. I rather like it. I could do without the percentage figure that got added to the titlebar, however. I would rather see more of the title displayed.

There is a margin at the top and bottom. The text of an ebook doesn't display in these margins. However, these margins are always less than one line height (plus leading between lines). So, there is no room to display another line of text, unless you cut off the bottom of a line. These margins do change size, depending on the font size you have selected.

I guess the ideal solution would be for Ectaco to allow the user to turn all of these features on or off, as desired. The Windows version of FBReader allows this level of customization.
No, it's not the progress bar that bothers me. It's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sein View Post
- Still big empty space at the end of each page (this started on last firmware but not on v030i where no empty—and precious—space was left)
The empty space is equivalent to at least two lines of text. In font size 12, it's probably three lines. Also, the progress bar does not extend vertically to the bottom of the page either.

I agree that the percentage figure is a waste of space and should be banished to the Nether World.

Odd about the justification--I recall that some users noted that it wasn't sticking, but then it randomly did on the last firmware? *shrug*
Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
firsttimer
firsttimer began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Has anyone been able to read a book from Barnes & Noble using their eReader format.
I just bought a JetBook Lite and have updated to the latest firmware V0.14 Patch V15,
which is suppose to enable handling this format. However the JetBook Lite fails when it starts to open the book in this format. It goes thru the unlock ok, but fails when opening the book. I'm wondering if the stated advertising that the Lite handles B & N eReader books is a farce and just plain false.
firsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
Has anyone been able to read a book from Barnes & Noble using their eReader format.
I just bought a JetBook Lite and have updated to the latest firmware V0.14 Patch V15,
which is suppose to enable handling this format. However the JetBook Lite fails when it starts to open the book in this format. It goes thru the unlock ok, but fails when opening the book. I'm wondering if the stated advertising that the Lite handles B & N eReader books is a farce and just plain false.
I have 0.14i verson and I opened B&N books on it without problem
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
firsttimer
firsttimer began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Where can I download the firmware version you have: 0.14i,
The version Ectaco send me: 0.14k doesn't seem to work for B&N Books.
firsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
NVM I'm an idiot

Last edited by Ham88; 12-10-2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
Where can I download the firmware version you have: 0.14i,
The version Ectaco send me: 0.14k doesn't seem to work for B&N Books.
0.14i: Click here.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
I'll repost my impressions from another thread:

Here are my observations--

Improvements:
-TXT bug fixed
-Remnants of the 'y' in 'By Author' gone
-Definitely faster throughout

Things that still aren't working as expected:
-Text from books doesn't take the entire screen. In non-PDF files, there's a progress bar on the right-side of the screen. It doesn't extend to the bottom of the screen and neither does the text!
-Justification settings still aren't sticking for me. Quickest way to change it to full justify is to type 6, 4, 2, in an eBook. Menus are still a bit slow, even though the overall speed is faster as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know whether jetBook uses FBReader?

Bottomline: It seems like some of the bugs from 33c have been ironed out and this version would be worth using if you are still on 30i. ePUB support is much better.

About the 6-4-2 thing on justification:

I actually found that touching the "2" button does NOT stick. Rather, I use the "Down Arrow" button [from it's "1" location] and then click the "OK" button.

Just clicking on the "2" button doesn't cause it to "stick" on the "Justification" choice.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-19-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
About the 6-4-2 thing on justification:

I actually found that touching the "2" button does NOT stick. Rather, I use the "Down Arrow" button [from it's "1" location] and then click the "OK" button.

Just clicking on the "2" button doesn't cause it to "stick" on the "Justification" choice.

Don
Mystery solved -- Thanks Don!