Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #1
TommyT
TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS-650
PRS650 PDF zoom/scroll issue

Hi everyone

I've picked up PRS-650 today - it is a very nice reader and I love it already. If any of you have any questions about it - ask away, I'd be happy to answer.

But there is one thing about it that bothers me.

When I try to read a non-OCR pdf (ie it's a scanned file and I can't change the font size), it shows the whole page, which makes the text too small to read, so I want to zoom. I go to zoom, choose the required zoom setting and then press LOCK. It removes the scroll buttons so that I can read the zoomed part of the page. So far, so good.

But when I finish reading that part and want to move to the rest of the same page, I can't just press forward because it takes me to the next page.

Instead, I need to press UNLOCK, then press scroll down (or whichever way I want to move to) and then LOCK again to continue reading. This is bit annoying. I thought I should be able to navigate across the zoomed page directly in the LOCK mode. Am I missing something?

Tom
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
TommyT
TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

This reader is actually great for reading scientific articles. Basically, you can split the page into 2x2 or 3x2 views and scroll through them using normal navigation. For example, if your article has two columns, the 2x2 split works great. I am looking at this article now:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...pdf/zpq145.pdf

and in the 2x2 mode, it works REALLY well. I can read each 1/4th without any problems and because I can see a bit of the other column too, I sort of always understand exactly where in the article I am when I read it. Very impressive.

But what is missing is 1x2 and 1x3 mode as per my post above. In other words, it would divide the page into two or three rows. Reading non-OCR one-column PDFs would be REALLY easy then. SONY, you guys must be reading these forums, you gotta implement this as a software update and your readers will have no competition.

Last edited by TommyT; 09-11-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Try it in landscape mode (change orientation). I think it will do what you are asking automatically.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
TommyT

Actually, you are right, but only if I don't need any zoom.

If my text is too small in landscape without zooming and I go into the zoom/lock mode, the page turn just takes me to the next page. This is not what I want. I want the page turn in the zoom mode to show me the rest of the same page. It doesn't do that I think.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
It's for reasons like that, that I want an Adam from Notion Ink to read PDFs.

Although it would be nice if Sony would add that 1x2 and 1x3 mode, don't expect it. They don't have any history for adding functionality to older readers, except for adding epub support to older ones when the stopped supporting LRX.

I still want the PRS-650 to read novels though.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
TommyT

Yeah I guess Sony has always been like that. But hey other than that, this device is really awesome, I am not complaining really.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
But when I finish reading that part and want to move to the rest of the same page, I can't just press forward because it takes me to the next page.

Instead, I need to press UNLOCK, then press scroll down (or whichever way I want to move to) and then LOCK again to continue reading. This is bit annoying. I thought I should be able to navigate across the zoomed page directly in the LOCK mode. Am I missing something?
Tom
Tommy, have you tried to use your finger to move the page. On my PRS 600, when you use your fingure it moves very smoothly to other part of the page. Also, on the 600, there are four arrows pointing four directions. Have you tried those to shift the screen left or right?
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
TommyT

Yeah I did try that. It now has a LOCK button that locks the zoom. After you press it, you can turn pages without resetting the zoom settings. I think this was not possible at 600.

But if you want to see the rest of the zoomed page, you need to press unlock, use the arrow button and then lock again. While this is not a big deal really, it could have been a bit simpler.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

One thing I found the zoom lock feature was awesome was that after the page was zoom locked, if you press the Home button to read other books it actually remembers the last zoom lock state of each book so that you can always go back instantly without having to re-adjust. It is so convenient when you have collections of Manga.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
fyre182
fyre182 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey, I've got the prs-650 on pre-order and was wondering whether or not you could use both a sd card and a memory stick pro duo at the same time to expand storage.

I have around 30-40 gigs of straight ebooks, which is why I'm wondering
fyre182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
Are you saying that the font resize options are not available anymore? They used to be under options and had s m l and xl buttonson the 600. I've seen them on a video of a epub file on the 650, but if they have removed that function for PDF, it makes the device as useful to me as a kindle.

I can't see why they would remove it, but this IS Sony we are talking about.

My purchase really rides on this feature. No resize/reflow, no buy.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Read more carefully, OP says "non-OCR" i.e. a scan (picture, jpg whatever) not text based... sizing fine in pdf files where text base but not picture based...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles View Post
Are you saying that the font resize options are not available anymore? They used to be under options and had s m l and xl buttonson the 600. I've seen them on a video of a epub file on the 650, but if they have removed that function for PDF, it makes the device as useful to me as a kindle.

I can't see why they would remove it, but this IS Sony we are talking about.

My purchase really rides on this feature. No resize/reflow, no buy.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative;
Read more carefully, OP says "non-OCR" i.e. a scan (picture, jpg whatever) not text based... sizing fine in pdf files where text base but not picture based...
Sorry. I didn't know what OCR meant. Honestly, sounds like a bit of a none issue then.

OP can scroll down with his finger if it's any like 600. If you want to scroll around the file, why do you need to lock the zoom?

Read the page, scroll back to the starting point, Lock the zoom, change the page unlock and repeat.

Maybe there is a more elegant solution but I think that's a more than sufficient way to deal with things.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote