Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
kerfy
kerfy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Cybook Gen 3 bootup loop - HELP!

Hi Everyone
Sorry that my first post is about a problem.
Had my Gen 3 for a couple of years. Updated the firmware to ePub (from Mobi) and all was working well. Have downloaded books in ePub since firmware update with no problems.
Now the device has gone mad. It's stuck in a loop on bootup. It gets past the first screen and then the second screen (the one with the three dots and a small image of the device) simply flashes on and off every few seconds. This happened after I had downloaded eight books from Watrstones and WH Smith using Digital Editions.
The reset button only freezes the screen. On restart is goes into the same loop again.
Have tried disconnecting the battery, charging, connecting to my computer with no success. I can't even turn it off without pulling the battery so it's currently, pathetically flashing itself to death!
Can anyone help? Please.
Thanks
kerfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Hi All!

I have the same problem or almost...

I have had my Gen3 for 2 years now. I have bought exclusively my books from Fictionwise. Lately, the Mobi selection has gone missing. So I took the plunge... DeDrm all my legally obtained books, convert them to ePub with Calibre, change the firmware from 1.5 to 2.0 and recopied all my books to my sd card and Voilà!!! Everything was great so far.

I then obtained a Adobe ID, got Adobe Digital Edition for Mac (Latest version) and bought my first book at Kobo (The associate from John Grisham) in ePub. I then authorised my Cybook with ADE and transferred my book and then tried to read it... As soon as I tried to get in the folder where the book is (Digital Editions) I get in that infernal loop of death of rebooting...

Thinking that I had done something wrong I re-installed Firmware 2.0 and restarted the whole process with the same results...

I then deleted the book from the cybook and everything became OK. I tought that maybe I had a bad copy, so I rebought the same book from Fictionwise this time with my leftover micropay money, with the same results...

I went back to Kobo and bought a book by Lisa Gardner and no problem whatsovever, I can read the book without any problem...

Growing audacious I tried another book by Grisham, The Appeal and once again I am in the infernal circle of rebooting...

Anybody has an idea to solve this ????

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I had exactly the same problem with an ADE book from Waterstone's. I figured that it was caused by some badly formed ePub.

My solution was to boot the Cybook while it was connected to the PC. I was lucky in that it then went into the USB connection mode and I was able to delete the new book from the device, which cured it.

I wrote to Bookeen about the problem with a link to the book at Waterstone's. The same book worked fine on the PC in ADE.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
kerfy

Thanks to you both captaingeorges and Graham.
I'm beginning to see a trend here as I had just downloaded a handfull of books from both Waterstones and WHSmith - and there could be a bad ePub file in there somewhere.
Problem is, now I'm in this loop I can't get the device to turn off, re-boot or be seen by either the computer or ADE.
Anyone out there any idea how to get the thing into boot mode?
Even pulling the battery doesn't work as it goes right back into the loop when it's reconnected.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Remove the battery or press the reset button will only shutdown the device and due to the nature of the screen it will not change, so pressing the reset button does NOT freeze the device.

If a badly ePub file is present in the library, since BooReader will try to read the file to generate the thumbnail, and read the metadata, if they are faulty, it could led to a crash that will reboot BooReader and give the "second screen loop"
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you contacted Bookeen support?

I'm out of ideas, I'm afraid.

Graham
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerfy View Post
Thanks to you both captaingeorges and Graham.
I'm beginning to see a trend here as I had just downloaded a handfull of books from both Waterstones and WHSmith - and there could be a bad ePub file in there somewhere.
Problem is, now I'm in this loop I can't get the device to turn off, re-boot or be seen by either the computer or ADE.
Anyone out there any idea how to get the thing into boot mode?
Even pulling the battery doesn't work as it goes right back into the loop when it's reconnected.
Thanks in advance.
- Unplug the battery or press the Reset button
- Plug your device to your computer
- Power the Gen3 up

It should start and go to connected mode. If not, the only things you can do is trying to reinstall the firmware (2.0) if it keeps to loop, install the 1.5, and if nothing works contact Bookeen.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Hi Kerfy!

In my case, In order to get out of that loop, I did re-installed firmware 2.0, which effectively removed the offending file.

But normally if you go in connected mode, you should see both icons for Cybook Gen3 and your SD card on the desktop and you can remove files directly from these.

Still it does not explain why those ePub file bought from a respected bookseller would be corrupted... In my case one out of four worked , all the others did not. But all the ePub files without ADE worked fine... So I suspect ADE and its relation with the Cybook...

Reading the documentation about ADE and the Sony, it says that a special file is needed in the Sony. I do not know about this special file and Cybook.

I wonder if any other people with the Gen3 or the Opus have had any problems with ADE.

The other solution is to stripped the DRM from ADE ePub files, but looking at some explanation about this in some threads, it looks more difficult than learning Quantum physics...

I hope somebody comes up with a trick about using the Gen3 and ADE...

Regards,

Georges
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Graham
Wizard

As I said above, I emailed Bookeen support about it with the links to the offending books at Waterstone's. Please could the others of you who've had the issue do the same? I've since managed to read another file which crashes my Gen3 on my new Elonex 511EB with no problems.

The Gen3 obviously can't cope with some elements of ADEPT or some way of forming the ePub file that other devices can handle, and Bookeen need to know this.

Graham
Old 04-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
As I said above, I emailed Bookeen support about it with the links to the offending books at Waterstone's.
Mail the publishers too.
There had to be something weirdo in the ePub for that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Mail the publishers too.
There had to be something weirdo in the ePub for that.
I mailed Waterstone's before as well, but you're right, I should also let the publishers know directly.

Graham
Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
kerfy

Hi Godzil
Thanks to you and all others who are trying to resolve this problem for me.
Godzil: I have tried your solution and the Cybook still goes into the second screen loop. My computers (Mac running 10.4.11 and Samsung netbook N140 running Windows 7 Starter) don't see either the Cybook or the SD card so I have no chance of reinstalling the 2.0 firmware.
Anyone else - any ideas before it goes in the bin?????
Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Godzil

To put the file on the SD card you do not need to plug the cybook on you computer, use a standard SD card reader instead.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
kerfy

Thanks again Godzil.
Reinstalling 2.0 didn't work but 1.5 did!
The device is now out of the "loop of death" and I will reinstall the 2.0 firmware later. Here's hoping.
Thanks again. I'm fond of my CyBook and would have hated consigning it to the rubbish.
Allez Les Bleus!
Thanks also to everyone who helped. Much appreciated.

For the record, in case anyone else gets this problem I did exactly what Godzil recommended.
- I disconnected the battery
- Plugged the device into the computer
- Powered it up
It then showed me the connection screen. Voila! Success.
It was then a simple matter of installing the relevant firmware as described on the Bookeen site.
Happy reading.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
captaingeorges
Zealot

Glad that it did work for you Kerfy, but unfortunately we still have not solved the problem of loading legally paid for ePub files with ADE on the Gen3...

I would like to know if people have done it easily with the Opus ????

Or maybe somebody has a SIMPLE explanation on the procedure to Dedrm ADE on a mac that has OS 10.5.8 and Python 2.5 on it... You can send me a private message...

I was really looking forward to read those last novels by Grisham on my Gen3...

Now I have to read them on my computer...

Maybe I have to wait for the new Kobo eReader in May or take the plunge and get an iPad...

Regards,

Georges