Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
kairos
kairos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
word document conversion

Hi

Hope someone can advise

I've been converting some word docs to read on my Kindle 2 but not too happy with the overall result.

First I convert to PDF then using calibre convert to Mobi.

Tried a few different fonts about size 12.

The basic problem is with the formatting when reading on Kindle ie line spacing w, sentences flowing across line spaces and justification of texts paragraph flowing into each other

Thanks

Kairos
kairos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairos View Post
First I convert to PDF then using calibre convert to Mobi.

Tried a few different fonts about size 12.

The basic problem is with the formatting when reading on Kindle ie line spacing w, sentences flowing across line spaces and justification of texts paragraph flowing into each other
Forget about PDF. Converting from PDF to anything else is always going to be iffy. Save the document as RTF or 'filtered HTML' and use that as input for Calibre. It'll work much better.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
fumanchu314159
fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Amazon's Personal Document Service

Agreed that going through PDF is not a good idea.

I've had good success with Amazon's conversion service. You send them your .doc file and they send it to you by email for free for you to transfer yourself via USB or they'll send it directly to your kindle via Whispernet for a fee.

--Rob
fumanchu314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Anything BUT PDF !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I've found HTML to MOBI in Calibre is pretty good - I converted my PDF ebooks that way, via HTML first, as PDF straight to MOBI didn't give very good results.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
kairos
kairos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Thanks, I'll give that a try
kairos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
If you check in the Sony forum you may find a Word macro that I did years ago to clean up word files before converting. It should hopefully still work.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Kairos, I have a set of tutorial steps on my website to help authors with this word-to-kindle problem. Covers hanging-indents on paragraph starts, embedded styles, image embedding, page-breaks etc. Check it out: http://BVLARSON.COM
-BVL
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote