Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Converting Doc to Epub?

HI

Is it possible to convert .doc to epub at all? Calibre complaints that there is no converter for it.

Any recommendations? I have some .doc (couple hundred) files and I would like to convert them to epubs. And I do not want to manually convert them if I do not need to.

I am on Linux

thanks
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you can get them again as .docx calibre has a .docx input converter.

IIRC there is a plugin in the plugin index to handle older .doc as conversion input, you can install it manually under Preferences ==> Plugins ==> Get new plugins.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No idea if this works but ... here is a posting on bulk converting .doc to .docx.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post897974
Quote:
As I understand it, you're wanting to batch convert your .doc to .docx files. There's a way to do it, but it's not exactly elegant.

Here's the process: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericwhite/ar...c-to-docx.aspx

A quick summary:
  1. Download and install Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack. You have to install this even though you have Office 2007.
  2. Download and install Microsoft Office Migration Planning Manager (MOMPM).
  3. Edit the OFC.INI file in the MOMPM in the Tools directory and save it.
  4. Run OFC.EXE which is located in the same directory.
According to the article above, this will batch convert all your .doc files to .docx -- if I were you, I'd try it on just a sampling of files copied into a test directory. Make sure the files are useable by opening them in Office. If you're happy, re-edit OFC.INI to use the real directory your files are saved to, and have at it.

Of course, you know to BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP before you do anything...

Personally, I'd just save each file as .docx as I used it. Or not upgrade to Office 2007 (still using 2003 and not gonna change it).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No idea if this works but ... here is a posting on bulk converting .doc to .docx.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post897974
It doesn't work on account of that being a Windows program and the OP is using linux.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

@eschwartz

it says the platform not available ;(

@PeterT

Thanks for finding it out, however I am on Linux that wont work out ;(
Advert
Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
OOPS. SOrry I had missed that point
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:23 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Dang it, that stinks.

I suppose you could open them all in LibreOffice and resave as .odt (time-consuming), or borrow a Windows PC from someone.

I'd use a library computer. (Actually, I'd use my lonely ignored and abused/neglected Windows partition. )
Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #8
exachillus
Banned

@eschwartz and @PeterT

Thanks for your answers. I now have a good picture of platform limitations

thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 02:00 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Dang it, that stinks.

I suppose you could open them all in LibreOffice and resave as .odt (time-consuming), or borrow a Windows PC from someone.

I'd use a library computer. (Actually, I'd use my lonely ignored and abused/neglected Windows partition. )
IIRC you can export docx from Libre Office - two flavours: Word 2007 Compatible, and Strict Open XML. The Word 2007 Compatible should be OK for calibre, not sure about the other one.

According to What are the best source formats to convert DOCX is better than ODT

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
IIRC you can export docx from Libre Office - two flavours: Word 2007 Compatible, and Strict Open XML. The Word 2007 Compatible should be OK for calibre, not sure about the other one.

According to What are the best source formats to convert DOCX is better than ODT

BR
I suppose... I know LibreOffice does docx, but I assumed it wouldn't be the same as Word docx.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It doesn't work on account of that being a Windows program and the OP is using linux.
Open Office/Libre Office with the Writer2EPUB plugin installed.

Works for All 3 platforms and does a pretty good job of making an EPUB from a DOC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
exachillus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Open Office/Libre Office with the Writer2EPUB plugin installed.

Works for All 3 platforms and does a pretty good job of making an EPUB from a DOC
Hi

Did you do it manually ? Did you find a way to do it in an automated fashion?
Old 06-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
exachillus
Banned

I also found this one but I have not had time to test it

http://www.artofsolving.com/opensource/jodconverter
Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by exachillus View Post
Hi

Did you do it manually ? Did you find a way to do it in an automated fashion?
Manually as in 2.5steps

Open doc with Writer (part of the Open Office)
click the W2E metatadata button and fill in as needed
click the W2E convert/save button

Add/update the book in Calibre with the new epub

Check the results with Calibre viewer. A few will need touchup depending on what features the original DOC made use of
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exachillus View Post
I also found this one but I have not had time to test it

http://www.artofsolving.com/opensource/jodconverter
This looks simpler, it's just a bash script: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-like-doc-file

i.e.
Code:
libreoffice --headless --convert-to
LibreOffice does not seem to support command-line access to plugins.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-18-2014 at 03:36 PM.