Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #40381
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Looks great! Congrats!

Could you please elaborate a little about the glass etching process you have adopted with some information about the etching cream and afterwash used, etc.? My daughter-in-law was trying to execute a similar project last month, but could not achieve the desired results. Perhaps it can help her.
Glass etching doesn't work on all glass types (I think tempered/hardened glass can be problematic). I use a pink etching cream, according to the instruction you first have to clean the glass with a 70% alcohol solution. Apply your stencil, then you have to put on about 2mm thick layer of cream and let it sit for 7 minutes (this might be different for other brands, I've read about creams that need anywhere between 1 and 15 minutes). After that time I scraped off the excess cream to put back in the container, what was left I rinsed off, I peeled off the tape and vinyl and cleaned the glass with some dishwashing soap (as per instructions).

Last edited by Rumpelteazer; 11-28-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #40382
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Glass etching doesn't work on all glass types (I think tempered/hardened glass can be problematic). I use a pink etching cream, according to the instruction you first have to clean the glass with a 70% alcohol solution. Apply your stencil, then you have to put on about 2mm thick layer of cream and let it sit for 7 minutes (this might be different for other brands, I've read about creams that need anywhere between 1 and 15 minutes). After that time I scraped off the excess cream to put back in the container, what was left I rinsed off, I peeled off the tape and vinyl and cleaned the glass with some dishwashing soap (as per instructions).
Thanks a ton for the advise!
I'll pass it on and see what outcome she achieves. I'll revert back soon after her experiments are over.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #40383
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
As promised my candy skull etched candy jar. I didn't get a completely even coating of etching cream, but I don't mind that.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing it.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #40384
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I just discovered that nail stamping is a thing. I just have to try it and ordered two stamping plates and a stamper from AliExpress. I can't wait to try it.
Sounds like a seriously painful development in the world of fingernail art.

What's the next new thing in body art, fragmentation grenades for that random piercing look?

I'll stick with my fake red nose, thank you.

Last edited by John K; 11-28-2016 at 08:30 PM.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #40385
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Sounds like a seriously painful development in the world of fingernail art.

What's the next new thing in body art, fragmentation grenades for that random piercing look?

I'll stick with my fake red nose, thank you.
Is she talking about stamping her fingernails or stamping with actual nails?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:06 AM   #40386
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stamping on finger (or toe) nail to get a fun pattern on it.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #40387
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's my birthday but I just cancelled all plans. I'm sure some of you are familiar with draught conditions of East Tennessee. Last night Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and some surrounding areas caught on Fire. The fire spread so fast due to hurricane force winds. Many Homes destroyed, some resorts and other buildings not to mention forests burned to the ground. Needless to say I'm devastated right now. Even closer to home in the same county I lived a wildfire burned 15 acres of forests.

My mom is very upset at me for cancelling but I just "can't" celebrate right now. I lived in Eastern Tennessee for seven years. It will always be my home, My People. My people are hurting right now therefore I hurt with them. They are forecasting more high winds late tonight. They need rain and they need alot of it and no wind.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #40388
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Stamping on finger (or toe) nail to get a fun pattern on it.

Oh! I wasn't serious. I was thinking you meant something along the idea that Cinisajoy had or stamping metal with a hammer and die.

Is this more like an ink stamp?
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:05 AM   #40389
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Oh! I wasn't serious. I was thinking you meant something along the idea that Cinisajoy had or stamping metal with a hammer and die.

Is this more like an ink stamp?
Yes, you have a metal plate with one or more patterns, you apply a coat of nail polish to it. Then quickly scrape off the excess polish. You have the "stamper" which is rounded and use it to pick up the image and transfer it to your nail.

I ordered two plates and a stamper from AliExpress. It probably isn't the best quality, but it's cheap. If I don't like it I won't have thrown away a lot of money. If I do like it I can always invest in a better stamper.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:57 AM   #40390
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I booked an paid for my parents' Christmas and birthday gift. Hopefully they'll like going away for a long weekend, despite the fact they said they wouldn't go on vacation until the Family Thing was over.

Which means that now I can start saving for a new laptop. Initially I had set a budget of €400; I don't use my laptop very often and mostly for surfing the internet and using Calibre. But I found a laptop for €479, which had an i3 processor instead of celeron. This would mean I could maybe use the laptop as Plex server when I'm on the go. Now I found another laptop, which has a newer processor (i3-6100U instead of i3-5005U), and it has a better graphics card. However, do I want to pay €600 for a laptop, is it worth the extra money? The only argument in favour of spending more is that the more expensive one can be used longer before it isn't adequate enough for my needs.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #40391
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

After a very busy day I'm now taking it easy. I've been rationing my favourite teas for a while now, so I decided that it's time to make an order. My favourite Chai isn't available anymore, so I'm now trying out another one, a bit more spicy. I've ordered two bigger bags of my two other favourite teas. And they now have wooden boxes to store their little tea tins in, so I've treated myself to the box that fits 8 tins, so I can easily take it with me when I'm going on vacation or when I go housesitting.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #40392
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Slightly worried how big my tea order is going to be. It'll be delivered tomorrow and it's listed on the receipt as a package of 200 - 400 kilogram . I've ordered 850 gram of tea and a box for 8 small tea tins.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #40393
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Slightly worried how big my tea order is going to be. It'll be delivered tomorrow and it's listed on the receipt as a package of 200 - 400 kilogram .
You'd better clear some cupboard space
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #40394
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Packing for a business trip to Montreal.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #40395
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggleWife View Post
Packing for a business trip to Montreal.
Don't forget to pack up the Spawn!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?