Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Should I Buy Kindle Touch 3G or Wifi Only Model?

I'm having doubts about my Touch 3G order. Thought it would be great to have 3G just in case, but is it worth an extra $50? Initially I thought so. Not so sure now. And then I'm thinking what if I want to sell it. Would folks see the 3G as a value worth paying extra for. Please share your thoughts. I have time to cancel my order if I choose to do so.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I suppose it all depends on what kind of access to wifi you have. I live out in the country, with metered internet and just house-hold wifi. For me, having that 3G capability really extends my connectivity. But if you have broadband internet, and don't have problems finding wifi hotspots, you probably don't need the 3g.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Go with the WiFi. The 3G is only for amazon store and Wikipedia unless you travel alot it's not worth the extra.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Would folks see the 3G as a value worth paying extra for.
There are so many variables that making such a prediction is impossible.

However, the way you frame it, it sounds like you would basically be making a $50 investment in hopes of recouping it later. I think it would be a much more plausible investment to, say, buy a US Savings Bond with that $50.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
There are so many variables that making such a prediction is impossible.

However, the way you frame it, it sounds like you would basically be making a $50 investment in hopes of recouping it later. I think it would be a much more plausible investment to, say, buy a US Savings Bond with that $50.
That's a good point.
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Thanks all! It seems pretty obvious now that I wouldn't really benefit from the 3G. I've canceled and ordered the WiFi only model. More money left over for other goodies.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks all! It seems pretty obvious now that I wouldn't really benefit from the 3G. I've canceled and ordered the WiFi only model. More money left over for other goodies.
Like books!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I got the wifi only K3. I wish I had got the 3g now. It's nice to have the convenience.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
I got the wifi only K3. I wish I had got the 3g now. It's nice to have the convenience.
I was thinking the same thing, but I have so much to keep me occupied if I can't get online and shop/browse at that moment. Well, that's my justification anyway. A part of me still wants the 3G!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I got the K3+3G and I would of been happier with a WiFi version.

1. The 3G is heavier in weight.
2. Battery life isn't as good as the WiFi only unless you leave WiFi+3G off.
3. You get annoying notices every time you got a book that's needs to be downloaded from your Personal Documents cloud.
4. 3G is by AT&T so if you live somewhere there isn't good coverage it's a useless feature.

Now the Touch has different 3G access than the Kindle Keyboard. The KK+3G you can browse the web and download books from other sites which can be useful when you travel. The Kindle Touch with 3G you can only access Amazon's Kindle store and Wikipedia. You can't download documents with it. Yet I hope they fix on the Touch those annoying notices seeing it's different and you can only download with WiFi.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Moving around and not being near wifi most of the time, it is very nice too have 3g, there is a few message boards that I keep up with. Posting is slow but reading the boards is not. I like having both. Also can check with my e-mail.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
...The Kindle Touch with 3G you can only access Amazon's Kindle store and Wikipedia. You can't download documents with it. ...
Yeah, that was the deciding factor. There really wouldn't be a sense of urgency to shop or look up a reference.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Moving around and not being near wifi most of the time, it is very nice too have 3g, there is a few message boards that I keep up with. Posting is slow but reading the boards is not. I like having both. Also can check with my e-mail.
The Touch won't have this feature. 3G is only Amazon Store and Wikipedia access.

The KK+3G is also handy in power or Internet outage. I understand why they removed the access from the Kindle Touch tough. It be too easy to use it as a browser more.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-11-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yeah, that was the deciding factor. There really wouldn't be a sense of urgency to shop or look up a reference.
I can do this on my phone so I seldom use the 3G on my Kindle. Not that I use Wikipedia much when it comes to books. I use other sites for that.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I can do this on my phone so I seldom use the 3G on my Kindle. Not that I use Wikipedia much when it comes to books. I use other sites for that.
Right! It's great to think things through here.