Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
replacing the standby images

Has anyone successfully replaced the standby images that are randomly displayed when the device goes to sleep? I'm not having any luck--I just get blank space where an image should be. I deleted the default ones that came with the device, and put 8 new pictures in here:

database\media\images

The pictures are named:

Norway001.jpg
Norway002.jpg
etc.

I used PSPad to edit K:\database\standby_pic_mediaPath.xml so that it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <standbyPictures name="mediaPath">
<picture path="database/media/images/Norway001.jpg" />
<picture path="database/media/images/Norway002.jpg" />
<picture path="database/media/images/Norway003.jpg" />
<picture path="database/media/images/Norway004.jpg" />
<picture path="database/media/images/Norway005.jpg" />
<picture path="database/media/images/Norway006.jpg" />
<picture path="database/media/images/Norway007.jpg" />
<picture path="database/media/images/Norway008.jpg" />
</standbyPictures>

I've tried a few different things to get it to work. I've resized the images so they're the same size as the ones the device came with. I've actually shut down the device and turned it back on, thinking it needed to parse through everything. Nada.

Does the device not like filenames with numbers in them? Does the xml want backslashes instead of forward slashes, even though they were already present?

I find it hard to believe something like this isn't more straightforward.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
You are doing it the hard way.

I don't have my reader in front of me at the moment but I think it was something like browse to the pictures in the images mode and then there is an option to select a picture(s) to be used as screen savers.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Aha, so I was

I looked for an option like that, but I kept missing it because I was only hitting the Options button after a picture was already selected, and not when you're on the main browsing screen.

Thanks very much!

Another question...

Is there a way to prevent the device from listing in the Pictures browser every image it finds in memory? I have a bunch of thumbnail images of book covers that it appears Calibre exports along with the book. They're stored in a different folder than the images I'd actually want to look at, but they show up in the browser.

Or, do I even need the thumbnails for anything, and is there a Calibre option that disables the thumbnail export?

Last edited by Ozric; 11-17-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I don't know about the filtering. Not sure if you can.

I believe the thumbnails are generated when browsing your books in the thumbnail mode.

P.S. You need to update your profile to show off your new toy. It still says PRS-300 and 505.

Last edited by edbro; 11-17-2010 at 04:54 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Ozric
Zealot

Ah, well...not a big deal. I do enjoy being able to see the thumbnails when browsing books.
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
oaxaca_one
oaxaca_one began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Still don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
You are doing it the hard way.

I don't have my reader in front of me at the moment but I think it was something like browse to the pictures in the images mode and then there is an option to select a picture(s) to be used as screen savers.
@edbro,
I'm also having trouble setting photos to show on standby mode. I don't know what you mean by saying "browse to the pictures in the images mode". I've browsed to the photos on my PRS-350 by going to Home > Applications > Pictures, and then when I select a photo, I don't see any option that allows you to set it for the standby mode.

Thanks in advance.
oaxaca_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca_one View Post
@edbro,
I'm also having trouble setting photos to show on standby mode. I don't know what you mean by saying "browse to the pictures in the images mode". I've browsed to the photos on my PRS-350 by going to Home > Applications > Pictures, and then when I select a photo, I don't see any option that allows you to set it for the standby mode.

Thanks in advance.
Hey there, welcome,
You've almost got it, go to Home>Apps>Pictures, then once you're there press the options button. The menu that pops up should include a "Select Standby Screen" option, press that, then select each photo you want as a standby screen. Then click Done in the upper right corner.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
Hey there, welcome,
You've almost got it, go to Home>Apps>Pictures, then once you're there press the options button. The menu that pops up should include a "Select Standby Screen" option, press that, then select each photo you want as a standby screen. Then click Done in the upper right corner.
The key here is to click "Done" when you finish. Clicking return to previous on the top left discards the changes.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
oaxaca_one

so close!

Thanks for your advice! I'm sure you're right, but... I pressed Options > Select Standby Screen , and then I checkmark all 4 pictures, press Done. Then, to test it, I slid the power button.

Ugh, still just a white screen at standby mode :-(

Any more ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Settings --> System Management --> Standyby Screen --> Picture: On ?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
oaxaca_one

By gum, that did it. Thanks to everyone for getting me there!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Pripyat
Beginner E-Book Reader
Pripyat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 Silver
Hi everyone,

Just a stupid question. If I set up a standby screen picture for my reader its not gonna be "burn" into the screen like on the old computer screens? Or drain the battery because the picture is there?

Sorry for the stupid question.
Pripyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pripyat View Post
Hi everyone,

Just a stupid question. If I set up a standby screen picture for my reader its not gonna be "burn" into the screen like on the old computer screens? Or drain the battery because the picture is there?

Sorry for the stupid question.
The answer to both questions is "no". An eInk screen is completely different from both old and new computer screens. It only uses battery when it changes what is on it (like when you turn the page in an ebook), and there's no picture burn.

And for future reference, stupid questions are "should I drink battery acid?", or "should I run blindfolded into traffic?", or "should I tell Inigo Montoya I'm the one who killed his father?". Asking for information about a subject you are not an expert in, is not stupid. It's research.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #14
Pripyat
Beginner E-Book Reader
Pripyat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 Silver
Thank u ScalyFreak,I knew that the eInk screen is different,I just want to be sure!

Thanks again!
Pripyat is offline   Reply With Quote