Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
UK Alternative to Smashwords

As much as I like Smashwords, recent changes related to the actions of the IRS, in relation to non US Based authors, has made me consider looking for alternative placed to sell my wheres.

Does anyone know of a alternative UK or Other European based E-Publishers?
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What "actions of the IRS" are you referring to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Demanding that smashwords hold back 30% of all sales to be paid in tax to the IRS, and to qualify for a lower tax rate a multitude of complicated paperwork requires filling in, however when you contact the IRS for advice about filling it in, as soon as you mention that its related to e-commerce, they wont talk to you. As a UK resident I pay income tax on any income here in the UK, I am now expected to pay the IRS as well.

If thats the rules so be-it, but they could at least help so I am paying the correct amount.

I must state that this is in no way the fault of Smashwords, which I consider a brilliant source of independent works, and I will continue to post my shorter works which will be free on smashwords, but I feel the IRS are forcing myself and other Non-US Authors away from e-publishing in the USA.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
mjhudston
All round good egg

Oh for reference see

http://www.smashwords.com/about/beta
Old 04-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thank you - that's the first I've heard about that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
mjhudston
All round good egg

Its a long on-going saga - I've not published anything that I will charge for yet, so it;'s not really been an issue I was worrying about - but I am about to release my first paid for novelette.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
oh great, so not only are we forced to bend over and take it from the great British government, the tax man over in the colonies is getting in on the gig too...marvellous.
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm from the UK but live in the US, so I pay taxes in both countries on income earned in both countries. For people outside of the US, you should be able to get a tax credit for foreign taxes paid when you file your taxes.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
I'm from the UK but live in the US, so I pay taxes in both countries on income earned in both countries. For people outside of the US, you should be able to get a tax credit for foreign taxes paid when you file your taxes.
Depends if your country has a tax agreement with the US. Australia does,
UK's sure to, I'd think most western EU countries would (or does this fall under the whole-EU umbrella?).
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The paperwork is darned fiddly. My own wee house has recently re-registered in Canada, which has a treaty with the US, but we must still jump through hoops like circus poodles. Mind you, the paperwork is good for other US-based ebook retailers as well as for Smashwords, so -- as a small publisher rather than individual author -- it's in our interests to do our best to comply.

Smashwords is always as good as its word in helping independent authors as much as pos, but for those looking for an alternative, try the new Silver Publishing in South Africa, which does a similar job. Athough not yet anywhere near as big as SW, they seem to play from a similarly square bat. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
asrai devin
Indie author and reader
asrai devin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I have started through the first hoop. I'm guessing even if you find somewhere else you will find similar issues.
asrai devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
Fred Zackel
Connoisseur
Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

HI Simon,

I think i saw a great review of "Terminated" at Bookgasm.

"He slowly has become one of the few current thriller writers whose work I know will keep me glued from page one."

http://www.bookgasm.com/

Congratulations!

Fred Zackel
Fred Zackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Of course, something small publishers and indie authors without an 'official' US presence must remember is that Smashwords is pretty well the only legal gateway into the major new ebook stores who still will not accept non US input. It's a real bind. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 AM   #14
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Zackel View Post
HI Simon,

I think i saw a great review of "Terminated" at Bookgasm.

"He slowly has become one of the few current thriller writers whose work I know will keep me glued from page one."

http://www.bookgasm.com/

Congratulations!

Fred Zackel
Thanks Fred. I've been on the road for the past couple of weeks promoting the books, so the review was a nice welcome home.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've come up against this, at the moment LuLu are looking into it for me because there, with a British ISBN I believe people do publish through LuLu's UK gateway without having to do the IRS bollo**s. Even though Britain does have a tax treaty with the US and they will refund you all the tax, you have to send things like your passport to them, you have to get annotated copies to prove who you are two, at £70 a pop... unless you know a tame lawyer... that you're not married to, I mean.

Amazon is even worse, you can upload e-books for kindle users if you are outside the US but only through the US site, your books will only be for sale in the US and of course they'll only pay you once you've earned over $100... by cheque... in dollars.

I'm assuming Amazon don't want the authors and publishers in countries outside the US to profit from the kindle.

I do keep coming up against this completely bizarre attitude that the US is the only english-speaking market. What about SA, Oz, NZ, India... oh yeh and Britain, those populations must add up to a bit more than 250 billion.

I'm selling to mainly UK readers so it's really irritating for me... it also means I'll have to refer people to my own website for things I want them to pay for and of course that means I have to pay - or struggle - to convert my book to the major formats.

Mind you, Smashwords seems to be down so much these days I'm not sure it makes any difference.

Sigh. Sorry too much whinging... but surely a UK gateway would sort it out, then you'd be selling your books through smashwords.co.uk/au/za etc and non US authors and publishers would be publishing in their home countries for their home markets.

MTM

Last edited by M T McGuire; 08-01-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: missed a bit
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote